• Happy National Limerick Day! 🅰️🅰️🅱️🅱️🅰️

How far have you paddled in one day???

We usually average 50km/day(6 some hours...) but the longest I did must have been close to 80km.

You guys make me feel like a real wimp. This summer on the first trip first day we did 19 miles of downriver with a just noticeable current and only 1 portage. On my Solo I average 14 miles per day for 6&1/2 days which included over 18 miles of portages.

1. The Adirondack 90-mile Cannonball. Taking the original route of the 90 mile Adirondack race, paddle from Old Forge to Saranac Lake village all in a single day, usually the weekend around the summer solstice for maximum daylight. the Cannonball is completely unoffical and separate from the official 90-mile Classic 3-day race that is held in September. There are 9 carries, totaling 10 miles on the whole trip. For my team, the Cannonball begins at the stroke of midnight in Old Forge, the whole trip takes about 19-20 hours depending on the winds that day. Several of us have made the Cannonball an annual event. I'm up to my 9th time so far, having paddled it twice in the same year in two different years. I've paddled it solo, tandem, C4 and Voyageur. Its a great trip through beautiful country, and excellent training for the Yukon races. http://www.canoekayak.com/canoe/adir...nball-runners/

2. The Official Adirondack Canoe Classic (the "90-miler") is a staged race over 3 days, Day one is 35 miles, day 2 is 30, day 3 is 25. 2017 was my 21st year completing this race. Solo, tandem, C4 and Voyageur. http://www.macscanoe.com

3. Yukon river Quest, the first mandatory designated rest stop is at Carmacks, a distance of 190 miles from the race start at Whitehorse, takes us about 21 hours of continuous paddling in a C4 or Voyageur. The Yukon offers a substantial current in most places to hurry us along. 2017 marks my third time in this race. https://www.yukonriverquest.com

4. Yukon 1000 mile canoe race. No mandatory designated rest stop locations in this race, apart from a requirement to be off the river for 6 hours each "night" (it doesn't get dark there), but paddling a maximum allowed 18 hours/day we have logged over 200 miles in a single day. Averaging 165 miles/day over the 6 days it takes to complete. Have done it twice in a voyageur. http://yukon1000.com

5. General Clinton NY. Race officially advertised at 70 miles, (GPS measures it to be only 63 miles). Paddled it 5 times. https://www.canoeregatta.org

6. When training for the above events, my team regularly paddles up to 40 miles a day on Adirondack local rivers and lakes. When not with my team, I train solo on a 20 mile route in my Placidboat Rapidfire.

Last edited:
72 miles on the French Broad River in Asheville, Nc

Jack K

The Yukon RIver is touted as a 10 day tour Whitehorse to Carmacks . Its about 500 miles. In a tandem lolly gagging we did it in 8.. Thats about 60 miles a day.. We did 50 miles one day on the Missouri. Both trips in a tandem
Solo my farthest was 24 miles in the French RIver Delta and 26 miles crossing and recrossing Long Island Sound.

To be honest.. 13 miles in a day is fine on the flats.

While not my norm, based on your question, the most I've paddled in one day is 70 miles. I've completed the General Clinton Canoe Regatta six times. The event begins on Otsego Lake in Cooperstown, NY and runs down the Susquehanna River to Bainbridge, NY. This is an annual race that's held on the Monday of Memorial Day weekend.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

After reading some of these posts, I am beginning to feel totally inept as a paddler. The furthest I have gone was 30+ miles; minimal current; horrific upriver headwind (if you stopped paddling, you were blown upriver quickly-it was the trip from heck!). River trips, depending on current and headwinds, usually 15-20 miles a day. Flat water (again depending on wind direction and velocity) 12-15 miles is enough. Seems like the older I get, the shorter the distance I can cover in a day.

50+ miles downriver on the Copper River, AK (Copper Center to Chitina-tandem). ~45 miles lake/river/6 portages in Grand Teton NP (Jenny Lake to Moose-solo).

The Yukon RIver is touted as a 10 day tour Whitehorse to Carmacks . Its about 500 miles. In a tandem lolly gagging we did it in 8.. Thats about 60 miles a day.. We did 50 miles one day on the Missouri. Both trips in a tandem
Solo my farthest was 24 miles in the French RIver Delta and 26 miles crossing and recrossing Long Island Sound.

To be honest.. 13 miles in a day is fine on the flats.
I beg to differ. Its only 190 miles to Carmacks from Whitehorse. The YRQ race officially has it as 440 miles to Dawson City, GPS (tracked during 5 trips of paddling to Dawson) and Google Earth both measure distance to Dawson as 426 miles, takes around 45-50 hours of actual paddling time. (close enough to call it 500 miles I guess).

Last edited:
You're right. I meant Dawson City. And we actually started at Johnsons Crossing
We paddled at most six hours a day. There was a lot of water coming down from the mountains and flood warnings upstream

Our longest day was 40 km on a lake. Typically, on the ocean or on a lake we do 25-30 km with a fully loaded canoe. We're on the water at 7 a.m. and off by 2 p.m. because of prevailing afternoon winds and waves, though we have paddled later when the winds were calm. Six hours of paddling is enough for us. We rarely portage (one of the benefits of ocean canoeing).

Hard to recall. Newcomb to North Creek on the Hudson River must be about 30 miles through a lot of class 3 and 4 rapids. I did that entirely with a bent shaft paddle in a whitewater boat, just because someone said I couldn't. I've done some long tidal rivers on the Atlantic and Pacific coasts going inland with the tide and back out with the ebb tide, but I don't recall the distances.

Once I camped at the very next campsite I came to because it was so lovely. App 1/4 mi.

Turtle,

Once I camped at the very next campsite I came to because it was so lovely. App 1/4 mi.

Same here... easily distracted along the way and checking things out off-route here and there. Binoculars are very helpful in reducing mileage, and a camera even more so, once you find something worth spending time on.

And fishing along the way... sheesh, when they're biting, the greatest mileage-minimizer there ever was... LOL

I've never measured maps for the maximum day's distance, only for judging a comfortable arrival well before dusk. In earlier years in Algonquin there were reasons for this. 1) Our young children loved it all, but try as you might there's only so much you can do to keep kids occupied in a canoe. It becomes a car trip thing. Are we there yet? And although we kept the portages kid friendly they eventually figured it out. Mum and Dad say it's just a fun walk in the park, but it's beginning to feel like work. Are we there yet? In later years there was another reason...2) There was often a race for campsites. Not always but more than sometimes. It mean't I'd be planning for a shortish day's paddling so we'd be scanning the sites on our destination lake by early afternoon. I hated every bit of that. It wasn't all that unusual to see from our campsite canoes streaming onto the lake looking for empty sites by 3 or 4pm. I'd learned my lesson when we'd arrived on a lake by 3pm only to find it full. That really p****ed me off. I'd booked a site there. (I don't remember which lake that was.) So we went to plan B and dug in for a hard paddle down to Tom Thompson L. where we probably bumped someone else off a booked site. (Although sites are numbered only lakes are reserved, not individual sites.) Less than an hour after pitching camp we saw scores of canoes wandering around the lake looking for empty sites. There were none. The Park policy keeps some overflow sites unreserved for lakes, but in the front country they're probably always filled. Okay, rant over. Our max back then was maybe 15km?
That distance hasn't changed, but the reasons sure have. I love travelling. I LOVE travelling; paddling, lining, tracking, wading, portaging...and repeat. If I could I'd go sun up to sun down. I'm not a he-man outdoorsman, I just love the adventure of backcountry travel. A little or a lot of everything every day I love. But then there's my paddling partner wife. She's the domesticity Goddess in my life, at home and in tripping. She'd far prefer to be in camp reading, relaxing, meditating, whatever the heck else she finds to do. After a one day stay I'm already standing up sitting down impatient to get going again. Are we there yet? In every relationship there's gotta be a little give. Sometimes a lot. I'm sure she gives a lot to be in a relationship with me, so it's only reasonable that I give a little to suffer short paddling days to keep her happy. And so our paddling days cover only about 15km max. Start at whatevero'clock and finish not long after noon. I get my morning of canoeing, she gets her afternoon of camping.
I have several trips already planned for next year, only one or two we'll likely get to do. I showed them to her yesterday. She wasn't enthusiastic. Too many days tripping. Not enough stay days. Too long a trip. I explained in order to have short paddling days and enough stay days the trips would have to be lengthened. A trip anyone else would cover in 3 days we'd take nearly 7. Something's gotta give, and over the winter we'll discuss and compromise. My 25 km days will be shortened and abbreviated to bite-sized 8-10 km half-days, with a sprinkling of stay days in-between. It'll work, for the both of us. And then we'll get there when we get there. All in good time, whatever the distance.

Last edited:
Back