• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

How do you know the water temperature?

Reaction score
While paddling, PPine and I both carry thermometers. This got me to wondering who carries thermometers, and what kind.

I use a meat thermometer, but it's never been in the kitchen. It folds and fits into a pocket on my PFD. On the water, I was Mr. Smarty Pants telling other paddlers the water temperature. This one just fits in a PFD pocket, turns on automatically when you unfold the probe, says it's waterproof, and it even has a little button to change the readout to "speak Canadian," you know, Centigrade, like in the rest of the world.

IMG_0256.jpeg

Do you carry a thermometer?

I bring a field thermometer that stores in a metal tube. It’s the size of a pencil and doesn’t need batteries.
Jim

I bought one like this 43 years ago and used it once, when putting on the Eel River in northern California. I didn't find the information useful and don't know where the thermometer now is. I suppose I'd use it now if I found it, but I'm not likely to buy one.

I can get enough decision-making info by sticking my finger in the water and then the air.

On the Eel, I ended up sticking my entire body in a class 3 rapid and pinning my canoe at the entrance of a class 5. After that, I got severely dehydrated from wearing a farmer john wet suit in the hot weather. I should have stuck the thermometer in AlderiateCensoredGIF.gif

Here’s my hand-held Kestrel 2500 with sturdy plastic slip case and lanyard. Maybe shoulda gotten a brighter color, but beyond that, at a few $$, this has quite a few functions. Does air temp° F/C; stick it in the water for surface temps…or tie a rock and sink to a certain depth for a few minutes, then pull up fast for a temp that takes a couple seconds to change. It shows wind speed, chill, max and average speeds; barometer & altitude; time; and red backlight for night vision. It's interesting, to me anyway.

Attachments

• Kestrel.jpg
    Kestrel.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 5
Huh? Where do I find a meter long thermometer? The thermocline matters and if my bottom half will be in 38 degre water I would care more about that than the surface 55.

I bring a field thermometer that stores in a metal tube. It’s the size of a pencil and doesn’t need batteries.
Jim
I also have one of these purchased at REI about 50 years ago. And I have a replacement thermometer for it. After all these years I haven’t broken the original yet. It comes on all my trips.

I have lived on Lake Michigan all my life other than the 3 years I worked for Uncle Sam in the western Pacific. I am very familiar with the thermocline - which seems to be only about 2 feet below the surface on Lake Michigan.

Huh? Where do I find a meter long thermometer? The thermocline matters and if my bottom half will be in 38 degre water I would care more about that than the surface 55.
I just snap mine into a swivel on my fishing rod and let out enough line to touch bottom.

Here’s my hand-held Kestrel 2500 with sturdy plastic slip case and lanyard. Maybe shoulda gotten a brighter color, but beyond that, at a few $$, this has quite a few functions. Does air temp° F/C; stick it in the water for surface temps…or tie a rock and sink to a certain depth for a few minutes, then pull up fast for a temp that takes a couple seconds to change. It shows wind speed, chill, max and average speeds; barometer & altitude; time; and red backlight for night vision. It's interesting, to me anyway.
I like the idea of being able to measure not only air/water temp but also wind speed. It would be nice to have a better idea of the relationship between wind speed and wave action on some of the lakes we canoe, especially when combined with predicted wind speeds for that stretch of water. I read the manual and it states to remove the impeller before submerging in water; is that a hassle or do you just use it without removing the impeller each time?

I'm with Gamma on this. I dress generally for the season, and if there is some question I stick my hand in to feel how cold it is. If it is a big enough lake that there could be a thermocline, I take that into consideration.

Nomad, what’s your impression of the wind speed accuracy on that kestrel? I paddled with somebody who carried a similar looking gadget, and, to me, it always seemed to read on the low side. But, I always think the wind is stronger than reported. Is the wind really stronger on the water or do I just over estimate wind speeds?

I want to know if the water is 58, 50 or 42 F. It is very hard to tell by putting your hand over the side.
Make an impression on your crew during the safety talk by having them stand in the water at least up to their thighs. Then they can decide what clothing they need for immersion.

Kathleen and I have never wondered what the water temperature is. Where we have generally paddled, in the NWT, the water is cold. I don't know how cold. But cold. Here is a view on July 7 on Whitefish Lake, 300 km (200 miles) east of Yellowknife. The ice serves as our thermometer.

DSC01357.JPG

I like the idea of being able to measure not only air/water temp but also wind speed. It would be nice to have a better idea of the relationship between wind speed and wave action on some of the lakes we canoe, especially when combined with predicted wind speeds for that stretch of water. I read the manual and it states to remove the impeller before submerging in water; is that a hassle or do you just use it without removing the impeller each time?
If you are there, knowing the current wind speed isn't that important as one can see what the waves are doing. On the other hand, knowing what the wind will be doing (increasing/decreasing/changing direction) in an hour or two or six while you are going to be on the water going from point A-B is really helpful. And the only way to get that data when you are out of cell phone/internet reach is through a weather service connected to something like a Garmin or a Zoleo device. Not 100% accurate but generally correct in terms of direction and increase/decrease.

If you are there, knowing the current wind speed isn't that important as one can see what the waves are doing.
I'm interested in calibrating what I see with a measured wind speed so that I can better anticipate those conditions based on a NOAA spot weather forecast for the area. I already have a general idea of what to expect based on experience but I'm hoping to see if I can fine tune those expectations. Reason: I'm comfortable paddling in waves but I canoe with others that aren't.

If you are there, knowing the current wind speed isn't that important as one can see what the waves are doing. On the other hand, knowing what the wind will be doing (increasing/decreasing/changing direction) in an hour or two or six while you are going to be on the water going from point A-B is really helpful. And the only way to get that data when you are out of cell phone/internet reach is through a weather service connected to something like a Garmin or a Zoleo device. Not 100% accurate but generally correct in terms of direction and increase/decrease.
not really, I find my interpretation of clouds and what my little barometer predicts are far more accurate than any forecast. for one thing those are localized to my exact position, not interpreted from data collected dozen or hundreds of miles away, for instance Mare's tails aloft coupled with a sharp change in barometric pressure combine to mean strong winds in 12-24 hours.

I have a Kestrel 2000 - a cheaper version of Nomad’s 2500, and use it for wind speed and occasionally temperature. I like correlating weather forecasts with observed conditions to get a feel for the probable accuracy of future weather forecasts and how wind from various directions affects wave size/conditions. The Kestrel s great but be careful with taking water temp. I accidentally left mine dangling in the water for over an hour once and ruined it. I learned that they are rated for only 30 minutes of submersion. The company replaced it for free, even though I told them that it was my fault. Great company! I now feel more comfortable deciding which canoe (or sometimes sea kayak) to take, based on the wind forecast.

Back