• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hot tents

Reaction score
No desire to camp in the snow, but find myself looking at these to help extend the camping season.

Early spring can be damping and cold and late fall can have those frosty mornings. I hate the condensation in a regular tent when it’s cold out. Makes everything feel damp and clammy. Wondering if a hot tent and stove (considering a Pomoly LEO 2.0 and stove) would solve that damp feeling when its cold outside.

Anyone with experience in these?

Haven't used the nylon tents, but camping with a wood stove is the way to go in shoulder season. I suspect those polmoly ones would warm up very fast, I like the fact that they are freestanding, plus it kind of looks like the stove is in a separate vestibule, which is interesting. It will most certainly extend your season!

I haven't used a nylon hot tent but they seem pretty popular on the Facebook winter camping page. I have used a small downsized canvas wall tent for years in shoulder seasons with my canoe and really enjoyed the whole aspect of a heated tent. No more huddled around a campfire under a tarp trying to stay warm, that woodstove really changes things on cool rainy/sleet/spitting snow days.

I have been using wall tents, and Baker tents with wood stoves for over 40 years. It changes everything to have a way to get warm and dry at the end of the day. It is possible to dry out clothes and bedding. It is a great morale booster. I set up my tent sometimes in winter and invite people over to experience the joy of it.

I have spent a lot of time in bad weather chasing elk and deer and antelope in a wall tent. Sometimes it has been below zero with a lot of snow and wind. The tent and stove makes it tolerable. I spent the month of April in my wall tent once running a tree planting crew. Every time it snowed the tent was very popular.

I have used a nylon Whelen lean-to in winter with a fire in front on ski trips.
I have never used a small portable tent with a midget stove in it. That is what is new. The stoves are tiny and hard to get wood into, but they can heat up a small space in no time.

Last edited:
I transitioned to canvas… I had used the nylon/ poly tents with the little stoves.. they work… but the breathability and low stove capacity sent me to sell them and invest in canvas and a more robust wood stove. Was not cheap… but the difference in my experience was worth the investment.

Unfortunately I’m finding through trial and error much of the traditional materials work more effectively and efficiently than the lighter materials… but the cost is weight. I wish you the best on this endeavor… it’s fun and as mentioned… morale boosting. I enjoyed the process.. but again came full circle

My dog Jake and I enjoy being outside. As we both get older ... we are not as robust as in our prime and the cold gets to us faster now. Therefore, this time of year as we hike the timber, it is nice after an hour or so to hit my Snowtrekker tent and warm up. It stays up until spring, so we hike to it now, but I will snow shoe to get there as winter digs in. Once at the tent, Jake hops up on the cot and blanket, and I take the lawn chair. I fire up the stove ... and make some coffee or hot chocolate ... maybe a snack or two ... and Jake takes a snooze while I read my book. After an hour or so I collect some more fire wood and process it for next time. Later on we clean up the camp and finish our hike home. It is not super exciting, but heck, there are worse ways to spend an afternoon.

Hot tent 1.jpgHot tent 3.jpgHot tent 4.jpgHot tent 2.jpg

My dog Jake and I enjoy being outside. As we both get older ... we are not as robust as in our prime and the cold gets to us faster now. Therefore, this time of year as we hike the timber, it is nice after an hour or so to hit my Snowtrekker tent and warm up. It stays up until spring, so we hike to it now, but I will snow shoe to get there as winter digs in. Once at the tent, Jake hops up on the cot and blanket, and I take the lawn chair. I fire up the stove ... and make some coffee or hot chocolate ... maybe a snack or two ... and Jake takes a snooze while I read my book. After an hour or so I collect some more fire wood and process it for next time. Later on we clean up the camp and finish our hike home. It is not super exciting, but heck, there are worse ways to spend an afternoon.

View attachment 133988View attachment 133990View attachment 133991View attachment 133989

View attachment 133988View attachment 133990View attachment 133991View attachment 133989
Well… our dogs enjoy the same thing… a thing of beauty

Attachments

• 6C1CF0AA-674A-4D8B-96BC-E97947121388.jpeg
    6C1CF0AA-674A-4D8B-96BC-E97947121388.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 8C31D783-F37B-433C-B17D-9F6F8004F7F5.jpeg
    8C31D783-F37B-433C-B17D-9F6F8004F7F5.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 17
No desire to camp in the snow, but find myself looking at these to help extend the camping season.

Early spring can be damping and cold and late fall can have those frosty mornings. I hate the condensation in a regular tent when it’s cold out. Makes everything feel damp and clammy. Wondering if a hot tent and stove (considering a Pomoly LEO 2.0 and stove) would solve that damp feeling when its cold outside.

Anyone with experience in these?
I see Pomoly does sell canvas versions… I know some stove makers only suggest canvas tents for use with their products as well. I also carry a small rugged carbon monoxide detector.

Last week we finally got some snow … with cold temps to follow. So, blue skies - sunshine - sparkly snow and winter temps mean Jake and I get to explore the timber and warm up in the hot tent!

1675298619779.jpeg

1675299160418.jpeg
I put on my snow shoes, Jake grabbed his jacket and out we went.

1675298752749.jpeg

1675298808887.jpeg
We trekked about 2 1/2 miles up and down the hills through the timber. It was awesome to be snowshoeing again!

1675298931304.jpeg
We were exhausted by the time we reached the tent. I plopped by the stove while Jake slept on his cot.

1675299076849.jpeg

We have been hiking daily to the “winter camp”, yesterday it was 18 below. Man it is nice to have a hot tent to go to. It is one of the most peaceful places I know of … with no bugs!

Bob.

Making plans for a late Feb camping trip at low elevations. I will be trying out the a small Kodiak canvas tent and a little buddy heater.

Late to this conversation but figured I'd weigh in for what it's worth...while I do have a Snowtrekker, the weight is a hindrance since I'm usually alone. For that reason, I picked up a "used" Seek Outside "RedCliff" pyramid shelter. It's nylon so there can be condensation issues; although having the stove running takes care of that easily enough. The shelter is heated with a Seek Outside titanium XL stove which is more than enough. There are two things I really like about this set-up:

1. It's overall weight. I've never weighed mine but according to Seek Outside's website, the shelter comes in at 3 lb. 7 oz. and the stove is just over 3 lbs. Everything packs easily in a pulk. I don't need a long toboggan to haul my gear anywhere.
2. Being a pyramid, it's easy enough to stake out and set up by myself.

As for being "used," the person I purchased it from bought it directly from Seek Outside for a trip she was planning. When Covid hit, all her plans had to change. Since she got it just for that trip, she didn't need it any longer so I was the beneficiary. Definitely not complaining about that.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Will do. Unfortunately, the little snow we have is disappearing quickly with the warming temperatures. Tomorrow, and the rest of the week, our forecast is calling for off & on rain. I'm hoping to get everything out before the winter truly ends. That said, if I can't, this makes a nice outfit for early in the season and again late in the fall.

snapper

Snapper, I'm also looking forward to seeing your pyramid shelter in action! Sounds perfect for the shoulder season.

OK, so with our temperatures rising consistently above freezing, and our snow rapidly disappearing, I realized I won't be getting out in my hot tent for the foreseeable future. Since folks were interested in photos, I figure the best I can do (for the moment anyway) is to post the outfit "in action" via other means. For that reason, here are some video options you might want to check out. The first one is from Seek Outside:

This other video shows some folks using this set-up on a winter trip. You'll see the tent/stove/interior just after 3:35 in the video:

Hope that helps for folks who might have questions on the "Redcliff." Honestly, if I hadn't lucked out in finding this used, I would have gone with the "Cimarron" instead as it's a bit smaller and, in my opinion, has plenty of room for one person; two in a pinch.

snapper

Where you live/camp has more impact on what will work than any other factor. My setup is wholly inadequate for snowbelt states and north, but canvas and a boiler-size stove would be incredible overkill here in central Indiana.

I use a Luxe Megahorn or Luxe Hercules and a GStove heatview with no complaints. The Megahorn is floorless, the Hercules has a removable floor.

20230203_172649.jpg

20220128_171115.jpg

20210102_100043.jpg

Cool looking set up Tryin. I am a transplanted Hoosier and very familiar with Northern and Central Indiana. Sycamore and sassafras are my favorite trees over there. I sometimes get lonesome for the Indiana timber.

Bob

Cool videos Snapper. That rig looks really light, quick to pitch, fun to use. Hope you get some hot tent weather soon. Thanks for posting.

Bob.

Back