• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Getting the book Fur Trades Canoe Routes onto Kindle

Your kindle has it's own email address. So you can send an email to your kindle with a pdf file as an attachment and the pdf file will show up in your reading list on your kindle.

To find your kindle's email address, go to amazon.com, "Your Account", "Manage Your Content and Devices", "Your Devices".

While we're on the topic of this book...i bought a copy at a garage sale, signed by Morse, (well that crazy signature could be "Eric W. Morse", couldn't it?) with an inscription to a Norman Smith. I figure someone on this site might know who he is. Googling is just turning up the BBC journalist of that name.

Edit: If you can't see the image below, don't click on the attachment; I'm told it is really big

IMG_1141.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Your kindle has it's own email address. So you can send an email to your kindle with a pdf file as an attachment and the pdf file will show up in your reading list on your kindle.

To find your kindle's email address, go to amazon.com, "Your Account", "Manage Your Content and Devices", "Your Devices".
That was cool! All loaded!

Never mind, I rolled up my sleeves and with a bit more googling and I came up with this entry from Canadian Encyclopedia which seems to fit the bill (the right dates, Ottawa (where Morse lived), journalist, connection to the north, editor of a book about the north, "The Unbelievable Land," and the Irving is usually put as an an initial in all the library entires, so likely not used to address him every day. That was fun. [h=1]Smith, Irving Norman[/h] Irving Norman Smith, journalist, author (b at Ottawa, Ont 28 Oct 1909; d there 28 Jan 1989). He was a newspaperman for more than 40 years, mostly with the Ottawa Journal, where he began 1928. In the 1960s, following his father, E. Norman Smith, he became editor, then president, of the paper and did much to make it more than the party organ it had been. Also interested in the North, Smith served for a time on the NWT Council and edited The Unbelievable Land, a collection of essays about the Arctic.

Yellowcanoe, enjoy the read. The part about the loss of the portage on the Dog River-Savanne route (part of the Kamanistiquia River route west from Fort William) always made me upset. Since I was a kid and read my sister's copy of this book, I've always had a secret childish dream of going there and trudging through the swampy bush and blowdown there and finding some sign of the old portage, like an old clay pipe or some fur trade relic exposed in the roots of a tree, and thereby reconnecting the historical route across Canada.

Thanks for the pdf link YC, I've bookmarked it to enjoy this later at leisure. The author and title are new to me.
Nice find Sturgeon!

Back