• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

George River Solo 2018 (Updated)

I somehow missed this when it was first posted. Looking forward to reading it. I always enjoy your trip reports, usually something a little different from the usual.

Alan

This is tremendous Recped, thanks for the photos and write up.

I might've missed it, but how did you secure the Pod if it is floorless? I like that Marmot. The maze of islands in big water looks intimidating.

how did you secure the Pod if it is floorless?

The Pod is the fourth or fifth iteration of my search for the ultimate bug/rain/wind shelter & hangout. One of the constants among all versions has been dealing with high winds.

The current version is completely free-standing so in calm conditions it just sits there. There is an 18 inch "sod cloth" around the perimeter (inside), standard procedure is to put one heavy bag in each corner with a variety of small items, gravel, paddles, water bladder or sticks along the sides to reduce bug entry. For a modest breeze this is sufficient. As the potential for winds increases I take the following steps:
Peg the corners
Attach guy lines from the Pod frame to adjacent trees or more often to the bow and stern of my canoe.
Search out larger boulders (40lb versions)

The real key is careful site selection, if exposed to high winds there is always the chance of "lift off" and I've had a number of those over the years! This particular trip was one of the worst ever, the combination of exposed camps and frequent high wind events limited my use of the Pod. In recent years I've been able to rely on the 90% of the time, nowhere near that much for this trip which resulted in being cooped up in the Marmot frequently.

Most of the pics you've seen are with all the screens covered, it's a more enjoyable hangout when the two large side panels and both doors are uncovered.

The Marmot is a great tent, it's a model from around 2005, three-season "expedition" style, very well made and designed. Casual inspections give me the impression that current Marmots are not quite up to the same standards.

Thanks for the great trip report. I am looking forward to the rest. A question: In the only picture so far, showing your tent and your canoe in camp, the canoe is beached, but only half way up on the sand. Is that as far as you bring it up? When I am on truly remote trips, I bring the entire canoe up and out of the water and lash it to trees. I am quite paranoid about losing the boat.

When you refer to a mosquito coil, are you using an old fashioned coil? If so, how well does it work? I never saw much effect. Have you tried the thermacell? I found it extremely useful for mosquitoes. Have not tried it around black flies or sand fleas (no-see-ums).

I remember a camp site far north on the Mistissibi (not the NE) that was soggy moss and full of holes with water in them. It was a lousy place to camp, but at the end of the day, what are you going to do?

I am also glad to read that someone besides me fails to take a compass reading and loses several hours paddling as a result. Did that this summer. Amazing how well a compass and map works.

Thanks again for the great report.

Erica

Not sure which pic you are referring to, it may be one where it was taken in the morning prior to leaving. Having "lost" a canoe on more than one occasion I take a lot more care than I used to. I generally have it tied onto something and if it's not tied then I usually pull it up fully onto dry land although it depends on the situation. I am NOT one of these people who feels that a canoe must be pulled way up onshore and then flipped over, if for no other reason than some of my gear remains in the boat.

I use the traditional mosquito coils, I find they work well even in the Pod with all the screens open. The coils don't really kill the bugs, it's a nerve agent that makes them stupid and slow, they tend to land and stay there waiting for me to crush them. Thing is that when the coil goes out (I just burn small pieces) the mosquitoes slowly regain their senses and start buzzing me again. The coils don't do much for black flies but once inside the Pod they all congregate in any spot where there is the most light. Normal procedure is to put up the Pod, let the black flies congregate in the brightest corner and then smooch them, you can eliminate a ton of them with this method. Any remaining black flies keep hanging out near the ceiling and don't bother me at all until darkness arrives and I start using my headlamp which they are attracted to.

I'm not familiar with Thermacell but I see they either burn gas or use a battery. The last thing I need is yet another device requiring power, I'm already dragging around about 5kg of batteries and 2.5 kg of gas canisters. On this trip I carried two packs of coils (16 coils total) but they are very light.

I've always carried a compass but because I mostly travel rivers (and have a GPS) there is rarely a need for it. On a river it's important to know location relative to upcoming rapids but not for navigation (just follow the current). The GPS also works well on smaller lakes when one is looking for an exit so my use of a compass is rare. The day I got off track it was simply the result of not paying attention combined with a lack of distinct landmarks to aim for. The other issue crossing the Smallwood was that my (1:50) map sections (on 8.5 X 11 sheets) often showed almost all water. I really wasn't prepared for such a massive body of water, usually when paddling something like this I would be staying close to shore but my route in this case required a number of long open water crossings, staying closer to shore was simply not a viable option.

Ok Recep, Paddlinpitt has set the standard for keeping us on the edge of our seat with multiday trip reports. He teased us with claims that he was going to take a break till spring, but then magically appeared with the next instalment a day later. So will it be days, weeks, months till we see the next instalment? Winter is long, but it does end, and we need our daily dose of fantastical trip reports!

I use the traditional mosquito coils, I find they work well even in the Pod with all the screens open. The coils don't really kill the bugs, it's a nerve agent that makes them stupid and slow, they tend to land and stay there waiting for me to crush them. Thing is that when the coil goes out (I just burn small pieces) the mosquitoes slowly regain their senses and start buzzing me again. The coils don't do much for black flies but once inside the Pod they all congregate in any spot where there is the most light. Normal procedure is to put up the Pod, let the black flies congregate in the brightest corner and then smooch them, you can eliminate a ton of them with this method. Any remaining black flies keep hanging out near the ceiling and don't bother me at all until darkness arrives and I start using my headlamp which they are attracted to.

I'm not familiar with Thermacell but I see they either burn gas or use a battery. The last thing I need is yet another device requiring power, I'm already dragging around about 5kg of batteries and 2.5 kg of gas canisters. On this trip I carried two packs of coils (16 coils total) but they are very light.

I've always carried a compass but because I mostly travel rivers (and have a GPS) there is rarely a need for it. On a river it's important to know location relative to upcoming rapids but not for navigation (just follow the current). The GPS also works well on smaller lakes when one is looking for an exit so my use of a compass is rare. The day I got off track it was simply the result of not paying attention combined with a lack of distinct landmarks to aim for. The other issue crossing the Smallwood was that my (1:50) map sections (on 8.5 X 11 sheets) often showed almost all water. I really wasn't prepared for such a massive body of water, usually when paddling something like this I would be staying close to shore but my route in this case required a number of long open water crossings, staying closer to shore was simply not a viable option.

Thanks for the good info. Thermacell does require little plastic canisters...I try to go very light, but I don't carry all the electronic and camera equipment you do. I'm glad you send take it, fo course, I like the pictures.

I find compasses essential for large bodies of water, which I prefer to avoid, but sometimes it is unavoidable. I noticed and admired your route through the reservoir. I can pick a landmark with a compass, but the "landscape" as one paddles frequently changes and I check it to make sure I am still looking at the right landmark.

Thanks, again.

Pic is a standard up here, burn a little piece in your tent, it will indeed send mosquitos crashing to the ground. If you are laying down, it is kind of disturbing if they fall on your face.

I love stormy weather such as day 15. I'm so into this trip I absentmindedly made a cup of tea this morning without thinking, with one eye on my mug and the other on The George.

Enjoying this very much, recped. It doesn't seem like a trip of pure, unadulterated fun, though. You refer to R1, R2 and R3. Is that the same as C1, C2 and C3?

There is pleasure in pain and while I might moan and groan at times that's all part of the "fun".

Once I crossed the border into Quebec I use the local lingo which in QC is "R" instead of "C".

Yeah yeah yeah.........between shovelling snow and scraping ice, post-Christmas depression, pre-season trip planning and the never ending Trump show I've fallen behind.

One more day to write up the next batch (up to day 20) which I hope will be done by Saturday (maybe Friday).

Also starting to get into the section where I have video to edit and that is REALLY slow.

Great scenery, recped. Loved that esker camp. Those R3 rapids looked very intimidating! I don’t think Kathleen and I could have run them without scouting first. And even then, perhaps not. Looking forward to the rest of the adventure.

I love those eskers! I was feeling a tad claustrophobic earlier in the trip, all that alder and brush filling the shorelines.

Back