• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

George River Solo 2018 (Updated)

Reaction score
Finally getting around to working on the report from my 51 day solo adventure in Labrador & Quebec last Summer.

It's still a work in progress, so far the Introduction and Part One are done. After struggling to convert some really old HTML templates to a (slightly) more mobile friendly format I should be able to get the next part posted in a matter of weeks instead of months. One thing for sure I MUST get this done before ice-out!

Start Here: http://www.recped.com/george2018

ct_post1.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	ccr_post1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	34.0 KB ID:	88960

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will shortly be heading to Labrador to begin my 6 week 770km solo trip on the George River.

You can get more information about my plans, maps and tracking page at the following link:

http://recped.com/george2018/

Follow along with me as I paddle from the Trans-Labrador Highway, across the Ossokmanuan and Smallwood Reservoirs, over the height of land into Quebec and then North to Ungava Bay on the mighty George River.

This will be my third visit to the George following trips in 2008 and 2010.

Last edited:
I still haven't fully recovered but I think it's time to emerge from my cave and reveal a few details of my trip.

Due to some issues with my truck on the way to Labrador my put-in date was delayed by a few days. As a result instead of starting directly from the Trans-Labrador Highway I decided to drive north from the highway, skip the Ossokmanuan Reservoir and cut about 80km off the trip. My revised put-in point would now be on the Smallwood reservoir near the Lobstick Structure, the "dam" that controls the flow from the reservoir into the Churchill River and the power station at Churchill Falls.

On July 15th in the late afternoon I set off on what would be a 51 day journey north to Ungava Bay. Along the way I would deal with many days of poor weather, high winds would lead to many layover days where I could "enjoy" trying to stay dry and dealing with bugs. Although I have experienced both many times in the past I can't recall a long trip where the wind and bugs were so consistently bad.

Fortunately the route itself passes through spectacular country and includes over 100 marked rapids mostly Class 2 & 3 with a few Class 4/5 and waterfalls. Of course along with the great rapids and strong current there was the massive Smallwood Reservoir (about 200km) and then near the halfway point the almost 100km long Indian House Lake to deal with.

I have copious notes, 1500 still pics and about 7 hours of video to sort out, I promise to start posting the details in the next few days.

FYI - My avatar picture just happens to be from my 2010 trip on the George River, I would camp in this same location on Day 17.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to your write up and pictures/videos! Had a chance to do the George back in the 70's but it fell through for me at the last minute.

dougd

It was pretty cool following along with Garmin. I needed to zoom around with satellite images to get a feel for the place. Really looking forward to whatever trip report you come up with recped. It's a wonder your electronics survived the punishment of water from all sides up down and sideways.

ps . The satellite coverage I found showed winter images. Not ideal for reading the river from the comfort of my reading chair.

Last edited:
WOW. I mean WOW. You are the adventurer that does the sort of canoe trip I have in my head. Only I have not done any of them. Very impressive, and I can't wait to read more about your trip and see photos and videos. Very impressive travel speed as well ;-)

Attachments

• photo10446.jpg
    photo10446.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 0
That was cool man and nicely done. We could feel your concentration on path of travel. WW skills are very apparent at 9:30 going over submerged ledge and at 12:20 going through the stacks. Also well dressed for the occasion. Being solo the choice of a WW boat was very wise. Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed the video as well as following you on a day to day basis.
G.

Awesome paddling. Enjoyed the video immensely. Thanks for posting.
Erica

Finally getting around to working on the report from my 51 day solo adventure in Labrador & Quebec last Summer.

It's still a work in progress, so far the Introduction and Part One are done. After struggling to convert some really old HTML templates to a (slightly) more mobile friendly format I should be able to get the next part posted in a matter of weeks instead of months. One thing for sure I MUST get this done before ice-out!

Start Here: http://www.recped.com/george2018

ct_post1.jpg - The Magic Mountasin of The Smallwood Reservoir

Point of order needed here. Is it a "Solo Trip" if you have a 'Stuff' Animal with you?:rolleyes:

Point of order needed here. Is it a "Solo Trip" if you have a 'Stuff' Animal with you?:rolleyes:

Douglas doesn't count!

FYI - "Solo" means without carbon based humanoid companions, polyester based life forms who have immigrated from Malaysia are not considered a violation of the solo ethos.

Recped, I was wondering if you brought a spray cover after watching that video, which I really enjoyed?

I have spray covers for a couple of my boats but I don't use them anymore, a few interrelated reasons for this.

I started with spray covers as a way of expanding my whitewater capabilities, over time I came to realize that while it allowed me to move up a grade it also became somewhat of a crutch, it allowed me to run bigger stuff (a positive) but only because it allowed for more mistakes and sloppiness without actually improving my technique.

I also switched boats, going from Class II boats (MR Guide, Swift Raven) to a more appropriate whitewater boat (my current Mohawk XL14). Once I had the right boat my skills really improved and I no longer see the point in a deck for running Class III+ rapids.

You may notice my boat has flotation cages which I use to secure my gear in case of upset, previously this was a function of the deck but had the downside of really poor access. The only time I miss the deck is when it's really cold, wet & windy.

I also don't use flotation, for these long trips I'm usually full of gear which when secured in the cages displaces almost as much water as end bags. No deck also means it's much easier to bail the boat when it inevitably takes on some water.

Douglas doesn't count!

FYI - "Solo" means without carbon based humanoid companions, polyester based life forms who have immigrated from Malaysia are not considered a violation of the solo ethos.

I don't know, it was decided (by others) paddling with a Dog wasn't a solo.

Thanks! I see your point. From the video it looks like you do just fine. I was wondering more for in rain while paddling. Also, was going to ask about your friend up front. Where's his/her's PFD? :rolleyes:

Great read. Can't wait for follow ups. Amazing adventure. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting anecdote about the Trans Labrador highway. Travelled it in 1991. Bridges were wooden planks across a wooden structures then and no one could travel more than 50 km an hour the road was so bad. Only one gas station then between Lab City and Goose Bay in Churchill Falls and it opened for one hour every noon as the owner worked somewhere else and opened to pump gas on his lunch hour. People would camp overnight in a lineup at the pump waiting for the noontime service.

translab2.jpg

Gerald

Back