• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Once again I'm off to Labrador

Reaction score
I was just reading my 2019 post about Labrador, apparently I promised some sort of trip report but never followed through. I got burned out doing my 2018 George River report at least that's my excuse for never finishing it (one day I will fill in the last two weeks). In any event I'm heading for Labrador again this year, I will paddle a similar route as 2019 but this time going north from the Trans-Labrador Highway and looping back to the to the highway via the Smallwood Reservoir and finishing at the same location as I did in 2019.

You get more details here:

Direct Link to InReach Tracking Page

Direct Link to CalTopo page

How long did it take you to paddle from the TLH to MEHINEK Dam?

I arrived at Menihek on day 12, it's 194km from the put-in. If you are thinking that is pretty slow progress you would be correct! The weather was mediocre most days, I had two layovers due to cold/wind/wet conditions, on another day I only made 4.7km in 2hr 40m but the worst was the day I was lucky not to dump covering 2km (much of it sideways) in 74 minutes (found a nice sheltered spot to camp).

Actual total time paddling (including breaks) was 64 hours.

Fortunately the weather improved dramatically after Menihek with 9 straight days of mostly calm and sunny.

How long did it take you to paddle from the TLH to MEHINEK Dam?

Labconoe, allow me to interrupt and welcome you to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please consider adding your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is in many ways a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Back