• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Gear storage and trip packing

Mine is stored the garage - really convenient for loading/unloading. There's a drop-down work bench that I use to organize and pack. In the past, I tried (not always successfully) to pack for the next trip upon returning from the previous one. That should be easier to do now that I am retired and have more time to do so. This photo is from awhile ago; I now have fewer small containers and more of larger ones to better accommodate my gear. Cabinet has clothing for the current season; the rest is on a moveable clothing rack in the basement.

DSC00506.JPG

Our house is 650 square feet. No basement. No attic. No garage. Stuff is stored based on how fragile/sensitive it is to heat, humidity and mold.

I'm trying to pack for Marshall Kap right now. I am retrieving stuff from my office (in a shed outside), our shed, boxes under the piano bench, boxes on top of the chairs we don't actually sit in. The dry bags are on top of my half of the couch.

I can find things only to lose them again. That's why I started putting the "definitely going" gear onto my side of the couch. :):):):)

Hardly used the mud room as intended so it has become the gear room. Most things are in here, besides my snowboards, the dual burner and all of the fuel. It’s easy to throw more stuff on the shelves and “get to it later”
View attachment 130601
@ErktheRed What type of hangers do you have for the sleeping bags? Just regular clothes hangers? Looking for something that will stand up to the bags hanging on them all season.

I generally do the the method of every thing stays in it's bucket like it is ready to go on a trip. Except the bags which are hung up and the sleeping pads are unrolled and left to relax.

@ErktheRed What type of hangers do you have for the sleeping bags? Just regular clothes hangers? Looking for something that will stand up to the bags hanging on them all season.

I generally do the the method of every thing stays in it's bucket like it is ready to go on a trip. Except the bags which are hung up and the sleeping pads are unrolled and left to relax.
I use sleeping bag hangers from Marmot, made by whoever. I heard that the store I worked at was going out of business and I asked if I could snag a few of those before they get rid of them. I found some similar on Walmarts website that should work just as good. I’d sho around, there pretty pricy sometimes.

See what you think of these Hangers

I use sleeping bag hangers from Marmot, made by whoever. I heard that the store I worked at was going out of business and I asked if I could snag a few of those before they get rid of them. I found some similar on Walmarts website that should work just as good. I’d sho around, there pretty pricy sometimes.

See what you think of these Hangers
Thank you! I usually look before I ask these type questions. I'm not sure why it never crossed my mind that they actually made sleeping bag hangers.

“I use sleeping bag hangers from Marmot, made by whoever. I heard that the store I worked at was going out of business and I asked if I could snag a few of those before they get rid of them. I found some similar on Walmarts website that should work just as good. I’d sho around, there pretty pricy sometimes.

See what you think of these
Hangers

Christ on a Crutch and God Bless America, $40 freaking dollars for a sleeping bag hanger? Heavens To Betsy, I can see why you snagged a going out of business few.

Gadzooks, we have a wide closet half-dedicated to hung sleeping bags. Ten different family sleeping bags, from summer bags to 0F bags. And a couple insulated snow machine jumpsuits, or camo hunting coveralls. Sweet Blue (or camo) Blazes, those needed Rigga Raga Fragga custom hangers.

At first I just elongated wire hangers into a more circular shape, with the bags draped over the wire. It didn’t seem to harm the Mother Pussbucket cover material or baffles in any way, but I eventually “softened” the wires, at first with the ^ shaped cardboard from no-crease pants hangers.

Those paper buffers were falling-off problematic as the bags or coveralls were slid on or off, so I replaced them with some scraps of kayak coaming edge or thin slit tubing, bent around the hanger circle. Who gives a Pile of Pebbles what is used to soften the wire?

Great Caesar’s Ghost and God Bless America, those have worked fine over the years.

Of course some people (ALSG) claim not to have a single wire coat hanger in their home. No worries Alan, I have dozens of Sweet Darius Rucker wire coat hangers, and scraps of tubing and cockpit coaming edge. Suck it Up Buttercup, or snag a few on your next visit.

" Stuff is stored based on how fragile/sensitive it is to heat, humidity and mold." Erica

Aye, there's the rub. My sleeping bags fare quite well stored in Rubbermaid containers in the unheated furnace/laundry room, or hung up on regular *wire coat hangers doubled up in the downstairs closet. My canvas packs however are prone to mold sitting on the floor in the rec room. I'll have to find a drier spot for those.

* Wire clothes hangers. My late mother wove soft poly ribbon material onto a number of old wire hangers years ago. To me it looked like one of those toilet roll dolly projects I refuse to allow in my house. But after she passed I had a change of heart. I nabbed all the remaining padded wire hangers I could find in her closets. (I left the tp dollys to others.) Those hangers are handy. The padding prevents garments (and sleeping bags) from slipping off as well as cushioning the support. And of course they're strongly sentimental every time I use them.

There’s no doubt that these hangers are overpriced. And that is precisely why I asked for a few of them, of course after asking how everyone was doing. There are a number of ways to hang or store sleeping bags that are kind to the material and stuffing. The reason I chose these, price or no price aside, is because they fit nicely in the hood. Nothing is compressed, nothing is pinched, and the weight is distributed evenly.

These are the biggest hangers in the house, but they work well. That $40 link was just the first website I found that had an image with price associated. I have searched before and found them for half the price. With how things are currently, I’d expect the opposite.

If I hear of anymore up for grabs or at a good price, I’ll mention it here if anyone is interested

Back