• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Fry Bake Pans

Reaction score
Just learned about these pans ! And after looking into them ,ordered one. They just seem to make a lot of sense. I've been using a 8 inch GSI Pinnacle for several years now and love the pan, its just a bit heavy when doing trips that require portaging. So I either don't bring a fry pan, and wish I had ! The 8 inch Fry Bake pan, with a lid weighs less than my Pinnacle ! I've tried titanium fry pans, they are not very good, they don't distribute the heat very well, and I found I burnt a lot of food. I am really looking forward in using it. Cheers 1

I've been meaning to buy one of those for years... though that would mean I had to actually cook my food rather than open an envelope and pour hot water into it! As a kid in Boy Scouts I became pretty adept at cooking in a dutch oven on canoe trips, but then I had younger scouts available to help tote the dutch oven- anybody NOT carrying a canoe deserved to hump a dutch oven, right?

I've been thinking the 8" Alpine version might prompt an upgrade to my backcountry cuisine, maybe even baked apples and popcorn which were always favorites after dinner around the campfire!

My buddies and I switched over to the Banks fry-bakes years ago after getting tired of shlepping DO’s over portages….love them!

Mike

I’ve tripped with big cast iron fry pans on trips with no portages. But if I’m carrying, fry pans stay home! Most of my meals are vegetarian, so there’s not much use for a fry pan anyhow. I’m impressed by those of you who portage with fry pans, and will argue it is you, not the pans, that are awesome!

Back