• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Free- 16’ Chestnut Pal- canoe has been claimed

Reaction score
Thank You, canoe has been taken. Canoe has many new ribs, no cracked or broken ribs. New inwales, solid stems. Bottom has rounded out, but can be fixed imo. Needs lots of plank.
IMG_4363.jpegIMG_4362.jpegIMG_4364.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank You, canoe has been taken. Canoe has many new ribs, no cracked or broken ribs. New inwales, solid stems. Bottom has rounded out, but can be fixed imo. Needs lots of plank.

Robin, I'm a little confused. This canoe was taken by you or from you?

What would cause the bottom to round, simply the absence of planks? And I was wondering if one of those thwarts is actually centered, as the camera perspective is probably misleading.

Robin, I'm a little confused. This canoe was taken by you or from you?

What would cause the bottom to round, simply the absence of planks? And I was wondering if one of those thwarts is actually centered, as the camera perspective is probably misleading.
Sorry for the confusion, editing the original title by saying the canoe had been "claimed" seemed to me to get the point across that the canoe was no longer available.
I also edited the post with "The canoe has been taken".
I guess a free canoe can't be updated with "sold" so I thought "claimed" or "taken" would be ok. Next time I give away a Chestnut canoe I'll be more careful.
Yes, I think the bottom rounded out because of all the planking missing. I should have planked it right away, but life happens. I think the roundness can be fixed by soaking the canoe in a pond, and then storing the canoe on a flat surface (garage floor) with weight across the inwales. Boiling water can also be used to help bend the ribs. Some ribs might need to be reset on the inwales.
Then again, it might never be right and end up on a burn pile. The key word here is free.
I'm not sure if the center thwart will need to be moved when the canoe is finished, probably.

canoeatrockslide_zps241485fa.jpgDSC04101 (1).JPG

Okay, Robin, I now get it. I just didn't realize you had edited a prior classified (free) ad you had put up. I can't keep up with all the threads on a daily basis.

Generous of you Robin to give away a canoe with obvious history. I'm sure Mainetripper will do it justice. I'll be curious to see the resolution of the rounding of the bottom.

Thanks Patrick. I have two other canoes to finish so I knew I would probably never get to the Pal at the pace I work. I think Mainetripper will figure out a way to get it back in shape, or at least give it a good shot.

My friend Mainetripper (David) picked up the Pal yesterday, it was nice to finally meet. While it was sad to see the canoe leave after we had shared so many trips, it was good to see it go to a capable restorer and wooden canoe tripper.
(I'm on the left with my friend David)
me and maine tripper.jpg

Mainetripper

Mainetripper

Mainetripper (David)

You guys are driving me name nuts.

I'm not really good with names, in general, and now we have 2300 fake member names, all with real names, but my computer software says we have no member named Mainetripper. So . . . not only can't I tell whether this racing canoe is being bought or sold, I don't know who the hey is involved.

EXCEPT . . .

I recognized this mystery "Maintripper" from his avatar and from videos of him building and paddling canoes. It's our member @dcloots, who goes by the name MaineTripper on YouTube. Yay, more names to remember.

I sort of like traditional naming system before all this internet stuff confused the heck out of me—that is, when people used to use the name on their birth certificates. I guess I'm just an old chestnut.

In any event, I'm glad that two of my favorite posters, in the state where I grew up canoeing, have completed this transaction.

Feel free to call me by my 1957 ham radio handle, K2OFP.

Back