• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

FlashFIRE and Prospector 13!

Reaction score
Did anyone notice that Swift has added the Flashfire

and a brand new solo - a Prospector 13 - to their website?!?

I've been researching lightweight solo canoes as a replacement for the fiberglass Lady Bug my partner now uses and the Keewaydin 14 had risen to the top of the list. But now that it's been discontinued the Prospector 13 looks like it could be a good fit; relatively seaworthy, probably tracks OK, and at 13 feet with plenty of tumblehome has some playfulness. At 26 inches gunnel width and 30 inch maximum it's still somewhat streamlined and the symmetrical hull shape with an inch of rocker would be predictable in lake waves and swift water. My one reservation is the tall re-curved ends, which are likely to catch the wind. Any thoughts? Because the Prospector 13 is new there isn't anything out there regarding real world experiences.

I've been researching lightweight solo canoes as a replacement for the fiberglass Lady Bug my partner now uses and the Keewaydin 14 had risen to the top of the list. But now that it's been discontinued the Prospector 13 looks like it could be a good fit; relatively seaworthy, probably tracks OK, and at 13 feet with plenty of tumblehome has some playfulness. At 26 inches gunnel width and 30 inch maximum it's still somewhat streamlined and the symmetrical hull shape with an inch of rocker would be predictable in lake waves and swift water. My one reservation is the tall re-curved ends, which are likely to catch the wind. Any thoughts? Because the Prospector 13 is new there isn't anything out there regarding real world experiences.
I am 99% sure that if you contact Swift they will build a Kee14 for you - I think they just took it out of regular construction, they still have the molds. My guess is that the pricing would be the same as is the FlashFIRE / Prospector 13 (maybe the Prospector 14) - but that is just speculation.

I have considered calling Swift about building a Keewaydin 14 but the Prospector 13 caught my interest so I thought I'd ask around before calling. I'm paddling a Firebird now but the Prospector 13 looks like it could be an interesting canoe to complement the Firebird as well as being a dependable lightweight canoe for my spouse. I know that people like the Prospector 14 for those reasons. I should give Swift a call and see what they have to say about the differences between the Kee 14 and Prospector 13. One of the things I like about the Keewaydin 14 is the narrow profile, which makes it easier to acheive a vertical paddle shaft, but the shorter length and stability of the Prospector 13 may be more important.

Contact Swift and they will build you a Kee 14

I exchanged emails with Bill Swift and yes, they can build a Keewaydin 14 but I decided to order up a Prospector 13. It's for my spouse but I may end up really enjoying this canoe as well. Oh, and for those interested, the bow and stern heights on the Prospector 13, which aren't currently listed, are ~18.5" according to Bill.

I exchanged emails with Bill Swift and yes, they can build a Keewaydin 14 but I decided to order up a Prospector 13. It's for my spouse but I may end up really enjoying this canoe as well. Oh, and for those interested, the bow and stern heights on the Prospector 13, which aren't currently listed, are ~18.5" according to Bill.
I bet the Prospector 13 would be a fun creekin' boat for a full-sized paddler!

Calling any 13 foot canoe a "Prospector" is just a marketing gimmick. I'm not saying it isn't a worthy canoe to consider if you are looking for a lightweight, small, solo canoe. But it has more in common with an Old Town Pack than it does with its namesake.

Calling any 13 foot canoe a "Prospector" is just a marketing gimmick.
I'm not singling out Swift but it seems that if a canoe has tall re-curved ends it's a "Prospector". ;)

I don't pay much attention to model names though; I'm more interested in the design. The one aspect of the Prospector 13 that I wonder about are those tall ends. They make sense with a canoe that's going to be taken out for multi-day trips on big lakes and whitewater to help shed waves but I don't plan on using this boat that way and those ends are going to catch a bit more wind. Not a lot more than other designs, but still, they are taller. I guess we'll find out.

Last edited:
I bet the Prospector 13 would be a fun creekin' boat for a full-sized paddler!
I was noticing a couple of people that had the Prospector 14 running the creek in the Pine Barrens and it looked like they were having fun. I'm thinking the Prospector 13 might be just as much fun and a bit easier to weave through the blowdowns. :)

Last edited:
But it has more in common with an Old Town Pack than it does with its namesake.
I'm not sure I agree from what I've seen of specifications and images of the Old Town Pack. It's a foot shorter and 2" wider than the Prospector 13 so the hulls have much different profiles in the water. The tumblehome profiles also look different. And that's not even mentioning the keel strip on the Pack. The Prospector 13 solo isn't the same as a traditional Prospector tandem but it looks like they share similar handling characteristics. I owned a tandem Clipper 17' version of the "Prospector" and it was a very predictable canoe; the profile of the Prospector 13 reminds me of it. I guess I'll find out and maybe get a chance to paddle a 12' Old Town Pack for comparison.

Back