• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

DIY freestanding rain shelter

Reaction score
With a few simple modifications most tent rain flies can be used as freestanding shelters for sun, rain and wind protection. I modified a few to use for cooking under when it is raining. The modifications did not inhibit using the rain fly as originally intended with the tent canopy.

Modification:

Pole feet - You will need to construct pole feet to position, support and secure the ends of the poles. Stakes, straps or a footprint work well.

Fly pole attachments - You may need to add additional attachment points for positioning and securing the poles to the rain fly. Ties, snaps or Velcro work well.

Seam seal - You will need to seam seal any stitching required for attaching the additional fly pole attachments.

This thread is not intended as a comprehensive DIY instruction. I just wanted to introduce or suggest alternative use for a tent rain fly.

John

Attachments

• 100_6935.JPG
    100_6935.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_6934.JPG
    100_6934.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_7273.JPG
    100_7273.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_7274.JPG
    100_7274.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_7276.JPG
    100_7276.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_7275.JPG
    100_7275.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 9
I think I will just stick to using a tarp, more walk around upright room being a key factor in my decision. Tent is pitched with the rain fly all snug & dry, ready to crawl into at bed time. Tarp is all set up and waiting in the morning if it is still raining. View out of a tarp is excellent, some better or worse depending on where it is set up. Twig stove fire inside to warm your hands and get that first cup of caffeine going.

I think I will just stick to using a tarp, more walk around upright room being a key factor in my decision. Tent is pitched with the rain fly all snug & dry, ready to crawl into at bed time. Tarp is all set up and waiting in the morning if it is still raining. View out of a tarp is excellent, some better or worse depending on where it is set up. Twig stove fire inside to warm your hands and get that first cup of caffeine going.

Yes, a tarp is hard to beat. I experimented with these shelters then sold both of them with the tents they belonged with.

Back