• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Crossing the Canada-US Border in a Canoe

Reaction score
Hi, All. I'm looking at a trip for next season that may involve crossing the US Canada border on a remote wilderness body of water. Has anyone else done this, and if so, what was your experience? I'm wondering about everything from an international shuttle to making sure a drone doesn't send Seal Team Six to arrest me for an illegal border crossing. Thanks!

Boundary Water to Quetico some years back, just paddled around a corner and there is the little building serving as customs.

Walked up and the guy was sitting there eating lunch. Sign on the door stated "closed for lunch 12 - 1". He didn't even look up. So in the middle of nowhere Chick and I are standing for 4 mins until 1.

Right at 1 he got up, opened the door and said "citiezship?"

Boundary Water to Quetico some years back, just paddled around a corner and there is the little building serving as customs.

Walked up and the guy was sitting there eating lunch. Sign on the door stated "closed for lunch 12 - 1". He didn't even look up. So in the middle of nowhere Chick and I are standing for 4 mins until 1.

Right at 1 he got up, opened the door and said "citiezship?"
That's a riot...lol.

No shack where I'm going though.

I've often thought that while visiting my son in VT, I would paddle Lake Memphramagog and cross the border just to see what happens. Old saying..., "It's better to ask for forgiveness, than ask for permission"!

On the subject of Memphramagog, fiction readers here may enjoy Vermont author Howard Mosher's book, Disappearances. There was apparently much liquor smuggling across the lake during the Prohibition days. Mosher wrote many wonderful books on Vermont/Quebec/ and the 'Northeast Kingdom' of Vermont.

Where? From Lake Superior to Lake of the Woods more or less you can get an RABC https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canpass/rabc-pfre/menu-eng.html but that program is temporarily suspended.

I believe that for the rest of the border you have to go to a manned port of entry just before crossing and not sure how far from crossing point you can be. Current covid testing requirements for a negative PCR test within 72 hours of entering will add a challenge, getting test and results and posting results on ArriveCan app

It's unlikely the PCR test requirement will still be in effect during the 2022 paddling season. It may not be in effect for more than the next month or two unless the 5th wave really takes off.

I think it will end not because it is unnecessary but rather because of pushback on both sides of the border.

I have a friend in Maine who was paddling on the St Croix in September, they camped at least one night on the Canadian side without issue. Make sure you are carrying a valid passport or you might find yourself stuck in no mans land.

Where? From Lake Superior to Lake of the Woods more or less you can get an RABC https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canpass/rabc-pfre/menu-eng.html but that program is temporarily suspended.

I believe that for the rest of the border you have to go to a manned port of entry just before crossing and not sure how far from crossing point you can be. Current covid testing requirements for a negative PCR test within 72 hours of entering will add a challenge, getting test and results and posting results on ArriveCan app
Thanks. I'd be crossing from Quebec into the North Maine Woods.

I've often thought that while visiting my son in VT, I would paddle Lake Memphramagog and cross the border just to see what happens. Old saying..., "It's better to ask for forgiveness, than ask for permission"!

On the subject of Memphramagog, fiction readers here may enjoy Vermont author Howard Mosher's book, Disappearances. There was apparently much liquor smuggling across the lake during the Prohibition days. Mosher wrote many wonderful books on Vermont/Quebec/ and the 'Northeast Kingdom' of Vermont.
I live in Vermont. I once drove up Lake Memphramagog in a power boat with my wife and three little kids. I was oblivious to the need to stop at the customs office. All of a sudden a fast Canadian flagged boat with a light pulled me over like a speeding car on the interstate. He ordered me in no uncertain terms to follow his boat to the customs office. He was not messing around. My kids got real quiet and started asking my wife - "Mommy, are we going to be arrested?" They made me wait a good long time and then processed me through. I felt like an idiot.

Yellow - all I know is what is on their website: "This temporary suspension remains in effect as long as COVID-19 border restrictions are in place." I'm not optimistic on testing going away soon, especially considering increasing infections, even in states with high vaccination rates. We're under 60% fully vacinated and Canada is over 75%. If I were Canadian, I wouldn't want to do away with the testing requirement.

I live in Vermont. I once drove up Lake Memphramagog in a power boat with my wife and three little kids. I was oblivious to the need to stop at the customs office. All of a sudden a fast Canadian flagged boat with a light pulled me over like a speeding car on the interstate. He ordered me in no uncertain terms to follow his boat to the customs office. He was not messing around. My kids got real quiet and started asking my wife - "Mommy, are we going to be arrested?" They made me wait a good long time and then processed me through. I felt like an idiot.
Yea. It's not something with which to mess around.

I remember along the St. Lawrence and thousand island areas they spoke of a remote area border crossing program that involved some paperwork and a phone call. Seemed reasonable. I did a net search and found it, Remote Entry Info.

It's suspended due to Covid. You should probably check into it if and when the world becomes sensible.

Chip, I'm confused. That link is about the RABC for entry from Lake Superior to Lake if the Woods. Pretty sure the RABC is not useable east of Lake Superior.

I know the US has some video kiosk entries - in my village on the Seaway - maybe that's only for I-68 passholders - IDK.

If it is the river I am thinking about, a call to some northern Maine outfitters might get you an answer.

Fitz

I remember along the St. Lawrence and thousand island areas they spoke of a remote area border crossing program that involved some paperwork and a phone call. Seemed reasonable. I did a net search and found it, Remote Entry Info.

It's suspended due to Covid. You should probably check into it if and when the world becomes sensible.
Yes. I'm familiar with that program, but I've always thought it was restricted to certain areas. The website says:

Citizens and permanent residents of Canada and the United States are eligible to apply for a RABC permit:
  • from Pigeon River through to and including Lake of the Woods
  • the Canadian shore of Lake Superior
  • Cockburn Island
  • Emerson
  • Sault Ste. Marie (upper lock system)
  • Northwest Angle Area

That was going to be my next step. I was just wondering if anyone here had done it and had advice.
If its the St Croix most stay on the US side though in an emergency away from a town people do camp on the Canadian side without checking in. Your best bet is to have a chat with these folk

Back