• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Considering This Canoe

Hope you get a response from the seller real soon. It looks like it could work for you based on what I remember you posting in the past. Best of luck with the potential purchase.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Red flags go up for me as it seems to have a very abrupt chine.. If you lean that over at all ..over you go.. It seems quite narrow and fine ended and not suitable at all for big water. It may be a straight bottomed boat making it difficult to turn..

My 2 cents. Like many homebuilt canoes this one is afflicted with, "Big Heavy Slabs of Wood for Decks Syndrome". I realize people like wood grain etc., but decks should be graceful.

I saw that listing when it came up the other day. I passed because of the owner saying 200 lbs was pretty much the limit.
I did come up with a great deal in Lakeland last spring on a 1993 fiberglass Mad River Independence for $150.00. Had to re-web the seat and oil the rails. Took that one on a two week trip down the Suwannee and really enjoyed it.

Hope it works out for you. Seems to be well cared for.

At east it isn't the usual (at least in my area) case of the seller trying to get a price that would be more appropriate for a hull from an established commercial maker. Every one I see for sale here is listed at $1k and up. Home-built canoes always draw suspicion from me. I can't know the quality of the work unless I know the builder. And of those I know who build their own (here), none are selling. And that brings me to another point....
A guy who is retiring should be wanting to use the canoe - not sell it. :( :)

Seriously, I'd want to examine it closely for damage or defects, and paddle it, before making the buy. The price is certainly reasonable if it's a good build in good condition. But 25 years old, and painted.......I'd be worried there's something hiding under that.

Last edited:
It looks like a decent build, but other than the sellers stated 14 foot length the other dimensions and design are unknowns. I doubt many paddlers are familiar with a canoe built from 1993 Canoe Magazine plans.

Depth, width, rocker are all a crapshoot. So is weight, despite the sellers claim of Light as a feather.

If it is close enough it would be worth a looksee, but only if you could do test paddle, which should not be a problem. From the map it appears to be called Lakeland for a reason.

Thank you all. Good input as usual. I'll be heading that way tomorrow evening to test paddle. There's a lake about two blocks from where he lives. I talked to the seller a bit, sounds like he has a lot of canoes....but I am keeping in mind all the things to look for. It is not exactly what I want, but I don't really have the funds to get exactly what I want unless a miracle pops up on Craigs List. Erica

Do a feel up. Really.. With it upside down close your eyes and feel from the centerline using both hands going down opposite sides. They should feel they are following a relatively even curve. Any sudden changes are warnings. There might be slight bumps.. not uncommon with homebuilts. But that is ok.
Eyeball it from the end and maybe have a string that you both hold level. This gives you an indication of true rocker.

Looking is always good. But don't kick the tires!

I did go up to see this boat over the weekend. It is a pretty little canoe and it paddles well. It is in good shape for a 25 year old boat. It had a few places that needed repair, one small crack, a few bubbles, but not urgently. The gunwales would need replacing eventually. I was ready to buy it because it looked great. I could pick it up easily. But when I paddled it, I felt unsteady. I was told it had good secondary stability, but not good primary stability. So I let it go.

I did go up to see this boat over the weekend. It is a pretty little canoe and it paddles well. It is in good shape for a 25 year old boat. It had a few places that needed repair, one small crack, a few bubbles, but not urgently. The gunwales would need replacing eventually. I was ready to buy it because it looked great. I could pick it up easily. But when I paddled it, I felt unsteady. I was told it had good secondary stability, but not good primary stability. So I let it go.

Thats normal.. It takes time time time.. How long did you paddle it for? When I paddle a tandem and then neglect solos for a time they always feel like wild horses leaving the dock.. About half an hour later all is well. And these are boats I have hundreds of hours in.

That is a good point, and that is why I went ahead and bought the Advantage. I did paddle for about 15 minutes and did forward/backward, right/left, etc. and it did get more comfortable...but I didn't trust the boat -- or didn't trust me in the boat. :)

Back