• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Composite Canoe Characteristics

Reaction score
I repaired the gelcoat on my Tuff Stuff Supernova today. I managed to scrape some off to the fabric in a few spots on my San Juan trip.

The repair went good, I'm getting fairly handy with gelcoat :- ) But I notice I have a couple very shallow dents and a crease in my hull. It doesnt feel like I cracked the hull, it's as firm as any other part of the boat and doesn't feel crunchy or anything, but there's definitely a shallow depression. Almost like a RX dent or crease.

The only other composite canoes I've had was a Wenonah Spirit II in Tufweave and the Easy Rider layed up like a blue water sailboat. Neither of them displayed anything like that.

Is this normal?
Is this a Tuff Stuff thing?

Not terribly concerned about it, everything seams sound, just curious if anybody has any insight :- )

Thanks

If the dents are in the foam core area, it is most likely that the foam have been compress....

The dents are in the foam core bottom.

I hardly scuffed the stems, I rarely run into anything, but I was rough on the very center of the hull under me and my gear.

I have a foam cored hull with some really special grooves where the foam compressed but the kevlar did not crack or split. Just nice and smooth.

If it feels solide, and I think that is what you said, paddle on, nothing need to be done...

Thanks folks :- )

I'm pretty sure they might have something to do with being too close to the big rock, river right of center in the debris fan of Eight Foot Rapid :- )

I thought I was going to use it's pillow and start my right to left move early once I cleared it to avoid the big rocks river left along the cliff face in the outside bend.

Not so much haha the big pour over hole behind the rock tried to eddied me out right behind it and I hit some rocks broadside before I could straighten up with cross draws and a down stream lean that put at least 10 gallons in the boat before I got a handle on things :- )
I get a little 'pensive' when I suddenly find myself broadside to the current and submerged rocks keep jacking up my bow cross draw and backward C stroke ferry :- )

The loaded Supernova is very forgiving when things get splashy and rocky, but it's not an OC1 :- )

Back