• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Common scents to avoid in tents

Shanks nailed it! I'd post a link to the video clip, but the language might offend. If you do a youtube search for trailer park boys, Samsquamptch, you'll find the clip. [h=1][/h]

I got some news for you, just because you can't smell it doesn't mean there is no scent.

You clothes smell, your feet smell, your own body has an odour. Smells from cooking, smells from brushing your teeth, smells from washing, smells from the last labrador tea batch you walked through. They are there.

If a bear concerns you that much try hanging a cheesecloth bag of dog hair from your tent. There will still be a scent but that scent may be enough of a discouragement to keep any curious bear at bay.

I know that bears' noses are extremely sensitive. I hesitate to describe the lengths I go to in keeping my tent and camp scent-free. They include no toothpaste, no cooking over a fire, no "Fresh Linen" deodorizers.

A few years ago a bear walked through my campsite at night. I heard its breathing as it sniffed around, but it never sniffed at my tent. That was the upside. The downside was that it didn't seem to be deterred by my snarling and barking.

Although I am careful about what goes on inside my tent to avoid bear encounters, I have a few rituals I perform whenever I land at the shore of a campsite to assess it's potential as a safe bear free area.

!. I check the fire pit, is there even a fire pit, is there vegetation growing in it, is there junk in it, half burnt un split wood in it.Is there a some dry split wood left there for the next camper, these all tell me about the type of people who use the site or if it's even used at all.
2. I check out the latrine. Is it heavily used. Is it used as a dump station for uneaten food.How long ago was someone here.
3. I walk the site, has the firewood been picked over, have folks cut trees in the sites perimeter, lots of foot trails, no foot trails, no game trails, no scat, fish scales, trash, if they leave newspaper for starting fires, is it from a city or rural area.

If I feel the site is not in good condition I will paddle away and bushwack on a rock if necessary. I always sleep well at a good clean site.

A few years ago a bear walked through my campsite at night. I heard its breathing as it sniffed around, but it never sniffed at my tent. That was the upside. The downside was that it didn't seem to be deterred by my snarling and barking.

Ankle biter?

Back