• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Comfortable Belt

Reaction score
After much research into pants that don’t require a belt to stay up, suspenders, bibs, etc, I thought maybe I’m throwing the baby out with the bath water. Maybe there’s a better belt solution that will allow me to stick with the tried and true pants without the gnawing of a big buckle or overly stiff strap.

I tried an elastic belt which seemed like a good idea. It was very comfortable but failed to keep up the pants which defeats the purpose.

I think the most comfortable belts I've used are those that come built into quick-dry pants like Columbia's. The nylon webbing is usually pretty soft and comfortably thin, as are the plastic buckles. They seem to hold well, unlike some similar buckles I've had where the nylon slips through the buckle over the course of the day.

I also have a couple cheap military-style belts from the local farm supply store - the belts are nylon, 1.5" in wide instead of the 1" of the built-in field pants belts above, so slightly less comfortable but usually fine. The buckles are metal flip-tops, not the sliding style like the ones linked above. They hold well and don't slip.

Check out Arcade belts. I know how this sounds silly but I used to use a shoestring when I rode my bikes, went skiing, and paddled long distances. The buckles on normal belts would sometimes dig in, even small belts and especially on my bike. If you’ve ever had that burning sting, it’s not pleasurable. Arcade has held up for my daily wear and tear and work life.

It is also "exquisite"!
Bib overalls would solve the keeping pants up problem.. Haven't seen any for canoe tripping though

This past year I've found the most comfortable and functional belt of my many decades......many of my others are going in the trash.

Check out the web belt by Marsupial Gear....inexpensive....slightly stretchy but kind stiff.....very light and functional buckle that doesn't gouge you.......easily adjustable.....

I really prefer a thick 1.5” leather belt. Can be single layer or dual stitched. The buckle needs to be sturdy enough to do the job. Everything else I’ve tried allows my pants to tug down with the weight in my pockets. My favorite belts are inexpensive US leather from the local boot store (not a chain). I replace the weak pointy cornered buckles with something more substantial and rounded.

I bought an elastic belt at of all places the Aldi grocery store, on a whim, and it has worked well... I am not overweight by much, 5-10, 190lbs, and it does fine on my 36" waist.

You can also get nylon webbing in any length, color, style, thickness, or width, along with buckles, at Strapworks.com.

You can also get nylon webbing in any length, color, style, thickness, or width, along with buckles, at Strapworks.com.
I bought one of the Strapworks.com web belts, they are thin and the buckles are weak.

The one I linked above is a great belt and has a lot of uses as a sling.

Back