• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Coffee in the backcountry VIDEO

All I wanted to do was celebrate camp coffee.. not start a grounds for war.. As always you have to think about the environment you are camping in..

We burn most of our garbage, including toilet paper, even here in the Yukon! The problem with tp, is not the toxicity of it, it's the sight of it when you are in the bush, you get into a possible camp spot and bam tp all over the place, it is disgusting. We use a fire box, what we don't burn or doesn't burn we pack out, we kind of follow the leave no trace practice!! If no body can tell you went by, it makes for a better trip for you and for the one following you!

I came across a 20 cupper percolator at an antiques store on the weekend!! (I didn't buy it, but still thinking about it.) I could probably put some shoulder straps on it and turn it into it's own percolator pack?!
The term camp coffee reminds me of a coffee substitute my late father-in-law used to drink. It was called Camp Coffee, and was made from chicory root. I tried it and disliked it. He said he'd gotten fond of it from his days in military service. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Coffee

Last edited:
At home coffee grounds go on the ground.. pretty good soil enricher.
And Odyssey why stop at 20? 60 Cups here!
0004009491163_A

no worrys. Just consider the option of liquid concentrate coffee? everybody wins.
turtle

Somebody on a canoe site, maybe this one, tried to sell me on liquid coffee a while ago. i remember they almost had me convinced to give it a try, but somehow I never got around to it. Turtle, do you have a suggestion for brand or supplier? I'm willing to give it a try.

Sure,Christopher bean Coffee. it's even cheeper and low acid.
Turtle

The old blue enamel percolator goes everywhere with me....unless I take the 10 cup stainless steel one. Having said that, the whole french press idea is a pretty good one too. We tend to drink lots of coffee though so it gets easier to just brew up a whole pot. Sometimes I will save leftover from the evening and just heat it up in the morning for that really quick hit without the fuss of letting it perk. The grounds? I toss em in the lake when I clean up.

Yes I am an evil woman. I do tend to cook with only what we will eat and have little in the way of leftovers to dispose of. Packaging is diposed of in the fire or left behind at home with food rebagged in ziplocs. I take cans and stuff out with me.

Sadly though, I build things. Camp furniture. I once built a dock, and firepits. Small tables so I can stand up to cook. Ridge poles for tarps. I figure if I just chainsawed my way through a half dozen portages...a table in my camp site is no big deal.

What about the cup though? I have to have my stainless steel cup. I really liked my old canteen cup too. I need to find another one.

Christy

I got a stainless cup actually 3 from MEC.. Not in their online catalog. But I got them three years ago for the price of six bucks each. They are double wall for insulation, They might still be in the stores.
If MEC is like LLBean half of the stuff in the store is not in the catalog.

Back