• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Coffee Cups/Mugs and morning rituals

I like the Sierra club cup for its nostalgia alone. They don't break. They have a handle. They are big enough for soup.
If its too hot for your hand, then why would want to put your mouth on it?

Glenn; Those "drawbacks" you mention, can also be pluses! Handle too hot to hold- then you know the liquid will be too hot too, the metal transfers heat quickly, which means it will warm up again quickly beside the fire, no top- easy to see if it's your cafe au lait or buddy's thick as tar reboiled sludge, as for volume
mine are 10 oz, just like my mugs at home, and that funny shape means no tight corners to scrub stew out of, and they seem to fit wonderfully in tight little, weird corners of your pack, plus what else is there where you can fit an entire cookset for 4 (4 cups, 4 spoons, and condiments) in a one litre pot?

I like the Sierra club cup for its nostalgia alone. They don't break. They have a handle. They are big enough for soup.
If its too hot for your hand, then why would want to put your mouth on it?

Have to agree, on many backpacking and overnight paddle trips, a Sierra cup is the only thing I take for cooking. No moving parts, lids, carry bags, etc. The only decision in the morning is if I want coffee or oatmeal first;)

Okay, this is embarrassing. Our coffee challenged daughter came by to show us her second new coffee pot, a Bialetti Brika. Her first new pot overheated and the handle melted. If you're familiar with the design you'll know little has changed since its invention in 1933. A bottom reservoir holds the water, a filter basket for the coffee grounds sits tightly on top, onto which a top pot with handle and spout is firmly threaded. Up to 1 bar of pressure is created when the bottom is heated forcing hot water up through a tube through the coffee grounds and into the top pot. Simple. I guess I should've explained this to her in the first place. She'd filled the wrong pot section. Never mind. She's making good coffee now.
I was perusing the history of coffee pots and came across an even simpler design, the Turkish coffee pot. It lends its method to the cowboy coffee style some of us know today. Grounds go in a pot with water, bring the water up to a gentle simmer and decant the coffee. Really simple, except the Turkish pot has a simpler unique design in that the slim pot has an hourglass profile making the decanting even easier, keeping the grounds below the waist of the pot while pouring off the liquid. Actually, first the crema is skimmed off a number of times as the coffee is reheated each time before the final pour. That may sound a little fussy but believe me it is all worth the crema.
Sitting in camp the other day watching the pancakes in the pan I was enjoying the sound and smell of our percolator blurping away. There is nothing like a well brewed cup of coffee in the morning. The sun had just risen above the rim and mist was still clinging to our clearing. My wife sat comfortably in a chair while I took my turn at kitchen duties. Ham and pancakes, coffee and quiet. The birds were waking up as well as ourselves. Sitting back and contemplating a silent camp we whispered "Ooohh this coffee is good."

Last edited:
...Sitting in camp the other day watching the pancakes in the pan I was enjoying the sound and smell of our percolator blurping away. There is nothing like a well brewed cup of coffee in the morning. The sun had just risen above the rim and mist was still clinging to our clearing. My wife sat comfortably in a chair while I took my turn at kitchen duties. Ham and pancakes, coffee and quiet. ...."

$%$&! My truck is in the shop, so I can't go out for lunch. I'm stuck at work and now all I can think about is ham and pancakes!

$%$&! My truck is in the shop, so I can't go out for lunch. I'm stuck at work and now all I can think about is ham and pancakes!

Would it help if I said I've had better pancakes? Ha ha. But dang the coffee was good.
Best of luck with the truck btw.

Last edited:
Back