• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Cleaning off Shellac stains?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just applied a couple coats of shellac (for the first time) on the bottom of my Island Falls Wilderness Guide…yet I didn’t notice until too late that I spilled it a few times on some areas of the hull, which is painted white. Is there a way to remove the shellac off the paint, while still preserving the paint? I’ve read acetone can be a good remover but I wasn’t sure if that would also thin out the paint too much…
Any help is much appreciated!

Gregor

Alcohol of any kind. Shellac will always redisolve. My favorite finish for furniture and woodwork. Spot restorable forever. I doubt alcohol will affect the white painted area but you could test a spot first to be sure.

I have always understood that ethanol is the go to solvent for shellac. But, to prevent the stains, runs, etc., I tape a skirt of newspaper below the edge line where the shellac meets the paint. I use the green Frog tape to attach the newspaper at the edge line and seal the edge of the Frog tape by pressing it firmly to the hull with the edge of an old credit card. That is to prevent the shellac from bleeding under the tape.
Good luck.

I have always understood that ethanol is the go to solvent for shellac. But, to prevent the stains, runs, etc., I tape a skirt of newspaper below the edge line where the shellac meets the paint. I use the green Frog tape to attach the newspaper at the edge line and seal the edge of the Frog tape by pressing it firmly to the hull with the edge of an old credit card. That is to prevent the shellac from bleeding under the tape.
Good luck.
Apparently I fell into the trap of British versus North American terms for alcohol .....

Denatured alcohol? can't see beyond paywall.

My colleague in Kentucky makes a lot of furniture - just beautiful stuff - reproductions of classic things - and swears by locally available moonshine.

Back