• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Classic sheath knife ideas

I lean towards the old leather handled knives or even antler....sort of like...the Hipster. Cabelas has come cheaper Gerbers that are ok. That will be my goal this year at yard sales...old hunting knives. Maybe run across some surplus kbars as they were pretty popular with the old guys.

I like that one that Rippy posted...that is slick.

Christine

You might look for a MORA Scout. New ones are made, but old ones may be found on eBay. The new ones have a blunt tip and a guard. They are relatively small knives, but quality steel. The older ones are often laminated steel. Another good, inexpensive knife is a Marttiini Timberjack, but it's more of an adult size. The Marttiini Little Condor might be interesting. Dexter-Russell knives are good and inexpensive.

Mora are great inexpensive knives, really good quality steel, but crapty sheaths but that doesn't matter since you will make them one!! A Mora knife is an every day knife for me, I use it a lot in the shop and at work!!

Wish I could post a picture of my Nesmuk knife,I think you would like it. I'm no knifemaker, but it was easy to make, cheap, and so practical. You can find a picture of it in several places including Sear's Woodcraft book.
Turtle

I spent a lot of time reading and following up on each post. Thanks, all very good ideas....

My new idea is to find 2 knives from the ideas here and keep them till the boys get older. Since they won't really be using them much I'll use them and hand them down at a later date.
I'm more of a traditional guy so the 1st knife will have a wood handle and the blade will need to be as long as the handle. I'll read up on building my own handle, lot of choices.
Thanks again for the responses.

Here are a couple that I made. The blades were purchased in Norway the last time my wife was there (I unfortunately couldn't make that trip). The handles are curly burch, a traditional handle wood. I fitted the blade to the wood and then shaped the handle, and sewed the sheath. I've done about 5 or 6 now and a few more blanks left.

1a767fb892099a09d28ba78b7ff02e6e_zpsee3d3396.jpg

8a064867f7d6cb67bc232d23223d78dc_zpscbf6d9bc.jpg

Norway has a huge knife history and kids are taught young. If you google 'barnekniv' for images you can see what they do for kids knives. Barne is child in Norwegian, and they join words together all the time.
Jim

Nice knives Jim, probably my favorite style. I noticed the sheaths didn't appear to have a either a belt loop or neck loop. Are they just for storage?

I was thinking about the Norwegian youth knives for my grandkids. I also thought about getting them a Case Canoe Knife folder as a keep sake.

Robin, it sounds like you got it figured out, The only advise I had was to avoid the pointy double edge knives that clip to your boot, especially since you got two gkids.;)

Yes they are more for storage. They hang out in the shop so it keeps me from cutting myself, I don't trip with them. If they leave the shop they go in the leg pocket of the Carhart's. I was intending to make a hanger like on this sheath but when I found out how I really used them I decided not to put a hanger on. I could still sew something on if my needs change.
This knife was given to me by my mother in law one Christmas.

IMG_2462_zpslh5zorun.jpg

IMG_2464_zps61apt2jb.jpg

It's like a big staple that is inserted in the thickness of the leather and the points bent over as you can see.

IMG_2463_zps8uoel4cb.jpg

Jim

I didn't make that one but I assume the staple was made by the Craftsman. A belt could be slipped through the slit in the hanger but a button would work also.
Jim

'Condor' offers several classic knife designs in the $40ish range in high carbon steel and wood.

Thier 'Nessmuk' rendition would make a good general purpose outdoor knife IMO and they have several bushcraft styles.

Deciding on gift knives for budding outdoorsmen is a good problem to have :- )

Been doing good on not buying gear this winter but you guys convinced me to buy a little Opinel folder. Not very happy with my current pocket knife so hoping this fits the bill. Price sure is right.

The little Opinel #6 folder showed up yesterday. I went with the carbon blade. Nice little knife. Nothing special but I think I'm going to like it. Blade is thin but that doesn't bother me as I only use a folder for light tasks anyway. It took an edge well and the thin blade does a great job making wood shavings; which is probably what I use my folder for most when tripping. I really like that the grip can be grabbed with a reversed hand (to pull the knife) and is still comfortable.

It's amazing what you can get for $11. So far I like it much better than the $40 pocket knife it's replacing.

Alan

No Title

A few things to be aware with opinels, is that the wood tend to swell when wet for a certain period of time, if the blade get tight and you can't pull it out using the nail groove, use the "coup du savoyard" you grab the knife by the Viroblock, and hit a hard surface with the "down part of the handle", that will pull the blade out enough to then pull it all the way open using the fingers!! They use to hit the heel of there boots!! The order is as usual not in order.... So put photo #1 in the #2 position lol!! I really think they are the best pocket knife money can buy!!

Attachments

• photo6388.jpg
    photo6388.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6389.jpg
    photo6389.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6390.jpg
    photo6390.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 0
The little Opinel #6 folder showed up yesterday. I went with the carbon blade. Nice little knife. Nothing special but I think I'm going to like it. Blade is thin but that doesn't bother me as I only use a folder for light tasks anyway. It took an edge well and the thin blade does a great job making wood shavings; which is probably what I use my folder for most when tripping. I really like that the grip can be grabbed with a reversed hand (to pull the knife) and is still comfortable.

It's amazing what you can get for $11. So far I like it much better than the $40 pocket knife it's replacing.

Alan

I just ordered a Opinel #7 for $10 to give to my daughter. She's only 5 now, but I thought it would be a good first knife for her - particularly with the rounded tip. Probably start letting her try it out under supervision this summer, and see how she does with it.

mon_premier_opinel_bleu_web.jpg

Last edited:
My eldest grandson will be receiving his first Opinel #6 with a small carry case I'll be making for it this summer for his birthday. At this point the only folding knife I'll carry other than my Opinel is one that my Dad gave me many years ago. It had been his when he was a kid. Essentially it comes with me because it was my Dad's. If it gets used that's only because it has a can opener and screw driver blades.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

On my last visit north I browsed the North Bay farmers' market and came across a local knife maker Mike Mossington.
https://mossingtonknives.com/
We chatted while I admired some of his work on display. Many of the knives I looked at and handled are not on his website. I chose a fine little camp knife & sheath in his Algonquin Woods line (?). A 4" flat grind blade in 01 tool steel 1/8" tapered stock with nicely sculpted wood scales and brass pins. The solid leather dangler sheath is molded and keeps the knife snug. The belt loop actually slides around the sheath for righties or lefties. Feels good, sharpens well and holds an edge. I don't really need much in camp and although this one is all I really need it'll be hard to resist another. I might go stainless with canvas micarta handle for the next one. Is this how collections are started?
Muskrat knife.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Muskrat knife.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.6 KB ID:	116495

Last edited:
I have collected knives since I was a kid and my Dad used to bring us knives from his travels.
I used to carry a carbon steel knife in a leather sheath on a belt when canoeing.
Then they got wet a few times. It does them no good in a wet leather sheath.
Now I carry a Mora fishing knife made in Sweden for around $18 on my lifejacket. The blades are stainless and very sharp, the handles and the sheath are plastic. Nothing to rust or get mouldy.
Perfect for a kid that might lose one.

I have collected knives since I was a kid and my Dad used to bring us knives from his travels.
I used to carry a carbon steel knife in a leather sheath on a belt when canoeing.
Then they got wet a few times. It does them no good in a wet leather sheath.
Now I carry a Mora fishing knife made in Sweden for around $18 on my lifejacket. The blades are stainless and very sharp, the handles and the sheath are plastic. Nothing to rust or get mouldy.
Perfect for a kid that might lose one.

What I like about the carbon steel
and leather sheet is you can teach them how to care for there stuff, with the plastic stuff they don’t have a chance to learn “anything”... but I agree that the mora are great knife for the price!!

We got knives around that age or a little earlier. Kid that age lose stuff. My Dad gave me a thin Kabar knife with a blade about 4 inches long. It cost $1 in the sale bin at the hardware store. He told me that knife like that could skin a deer or a duck or a fish and it was good for spreading mayo on a sandwich. He was right, and I never liked big knives after that.

Yeah, a Mora Companion resides in it's plastic sheath on the food barrel. Over night it stays in the tent vestibule. It came scary sharp without needing any touches from a stone. I like that it requires no special care.

Back