• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Christmas Wish List

OK, now the tree challenge gauntlet has been thrown down.......the top of my ceiling is 13 feet, so that's how high the tree wis. We use a ladder to decorate.

We have 20 to 30 people over Christmas Eve for a big turkey eating party. It's a wonderful time of year. Only damper this year is that the local mining company released some info last week that said the extension of the trans canada might get routed right through our little subdivision, in which case, we would all lose our houses. I never cared much for houses before, but I love this one, and will be somewhat put out if it gets taken away.

So sorry to hear that! TransCanada what.. pipeline or road? I like your great room.. great for a band. But the ceiling is so low. We have a 19 foot ceiling with skylights that never get cleaned.. a tree to the ceiling would take up the entire room( if we could get it in the door!).. Its hard to find a 19 foot tall three foot wide tree. I hate to top a forty to sixty foot tall in the woods balsam.

All that "vacant" land in the north and for them it has to go right where your house is because that is less expense and more profit for them. Grrrr.

Growing up we had a fake tree, still got it somewhere, but when I got married we went to real and have never looked back. I tried harvesting my own a few time but generally resulted in far too many needles on the floor for my liking. Now I pay $60 for an import from a guy up the road. Less needles and gives him a few bucks for Christmas.

Nice to see Trans Canada taking the environment into consideration by potentially running the pipeline directly beside the lake. Good planning there, it will help mitigate a spill.

Sorry for confusion, it's the trans canada highway. Premier Gold is building an open pit mine right across the existing highway, so they have to re-route #11, looks like it might go right through our house, although it's a year or two off. On the one hand, our town needs this development, but I sure wish they could make the highway go elsewhere.

So why can't they re-route the highway south of the mine? It sure looked to be all bush down there. How massive is the mine going to be? I am looking for a new job. :rolleyes:

It's going to be quite massive. They've already started negotiating for the houses south of town, and around 8 or nine have already accepted deals. It's a waiting game now, rumours flying like crazy, hard to tell what the outcome will be.

Maybe you can build a new log house that will be insulated and learn to get really attached to that one instead. It would be worth a try. Especially if someone else is footing the bill.

This child's Christmas in the 50's and 60's mean't my Dad piling us kids in the big old car to go out to a tree farm for our tree. I'll never know what he thought of it, but we young boys thought it a treat. Not so much the tree cutting and roping it to down on the roof, just the day out in Dad's car. We didn't get out much. The actual work of getting the tree felt like a chore, like any other job around the house and our big country yard. I have quaint memories of these Christmases, much like our yellowed and brittle home movies on 8mm reels in a cardboard box in my brother's attic. The holidays were merrily humming along, subdued and sedate, until my Motor City aunt and uncle became a bigger part of our lives. He was a grumpy Texan not to be messed with. She was a proponent of tough love, and could easily heap swearing scoldings on us kids; but gosh, she so often heaped love and gifts on us too. We spent a few Christmases in Detroit with them, where Nat King Cole would be crooning from the HiFi, a giant turkey filling the house with indescribable aromas, and a Christmas tree filling the living room with more ornaments and wrapped presents I'd ever seen before. She had a special little tree for us young ones, a gum drop tree I think it was called. It stood about 2' tall, and was covered in candy. My uncle patrolled the perimeter like he was on guard duty, while my aunt was forever busying herself in the kitchen. I'd always ask before I dared approach the candy tree, and always got the go ahead. Take one. Just one. As the 60's swung into the 70's things changed. Our aunt who never believed in doing anything half hearted, introduced our Mom to Christmas crafts. With nothing more than scissors, glitter and glue, our home grew smaller in space, but larger than life with more and bigger ornaments. Scarlet ribbons, shimmering green velvet, and sparkling gold flake covered every assorted size and shape of styrofoam. Balls, candy canes and wreathes made our home look like a department store display window. Even Dad got swept up with the craze. One year he cut out a sleigh, Santa and a reindeer out of 1/2" plywood, and stuck on the corresponding paper images. These sat on the front lawn to the embarrassment of his teen aged sons. None of this decorating appealed to me though. It felt over the top. But what did touch my Christmas spirit was a simpler and humbler "special effect." Dad fastened a 3 light flood lamp to a pair of criss crossed 2x4's and plunked it in the front yard every year before Christmas. A long black extension cord ran across the frozen lawn, under the snow drifts, and into the basement window to the workshop. He'd screw in 3 coloured bulbs, red, blue and green. This very basic lighting gave a very moody and magical effect on this young boy laying awake in his bed at night. It felt like having our very own aurora borealis every night throughout the Christmas season. Sometimes I'd creep out of bed to stand shivering at my window. Looking out across the glowing white snowy folds of farmland, under a black velvet sky, the stars would sparkle hard and bright. And I'd wonder, will it be a snow day tomorrow? Will the pond be ready to skate on yet?

ps I'm sorry to hear you and your neighbours might be pushed out of your homes memaquay. I hope wherever you next call home, you'll start making new happy memories for you and yours. Who knows, maybe you'll wind up with room enough for an even bigger tree?! Or maybe a towering tree growing in the yard? It'll take a good length of extension cord along with an awful lot of outdoor lights.
Or you could just flood light it. Or better yet, let the northern lights work their magic.

Last edited:
The original post was about a Christmas wish list. I'm ready to play now.

1 Forest axe

I may be back to add to this post.

That forest axe sounds like a great present. My wife bought me an oxehead four years ago for my birthday, I love that axe.

PS. Good news, talked to someoe in the know last night, looks like our houses aren't going to get swallowed up after all.

That forest axe sounds like a great present. My wife bought me an oxehead four years ago for my birthday, I love that axe.

PS. Good news, talked to someoe in the know last night, looks like our houses aren't going to get swallowed up after all.

What is an oxehead? And are those transports going to be driving next to your bedroom??

I like your list already Rippy.
I was planning and making decisions (procrastinating and making excuses) last night, while ogling the various blades on the computer sites. I panicked and committed a rookie mistake. I blurted out to M "Hey honey bunch! Would a fixed blade knife and a forest axe make nice gifts for a nice lady? They're reeaallly nice." I'd already measured them up for her stocking (and my camp chores). I needn't have bothered. She said "Noo." It seems she still hasn't forgiven me for stuffing jumper cables in her stocking one year. Sheesh! That was years ago. Do you know how hard it is to gift wrap j cables?! Anyway, M has mentioned she'd like to carry a fixed blade for camp. I've carried a folder on occasion, but find them a bother to reach in my pocket and fold/unfold, even one handed. There's a nice little birch handled one I've found for her, and a plainer one for me. The axe will have to wait. Maybe her birthday?!
That's good news mem. Despite the environmental concerns that follow mining, it sounds like good news for northern jobs. I hope it all works out.

Brad you better be careful with your gifts to your wife; you have already noted that women have a special place in their heads to store memories of gifts given to them years ago. .. You should be OK with the knife but the axe could get used on you.. As an aside guys, vacuum cleaners are not good gifts either. Unless its your anniversary and the two of you buy one together..for each other.

I can just see it now. Brad's sitting by the fire while his wife is tidying up camp and Brad say's "Honey, if you're not doing anything important, could you chop a little more wood with that new axe I bought you, the fire is getting low"

As some one who likes and uses fixed blades I got to tell you it makes me nervous to wear one on me. In fact I won't wear one on my belt anymore. I fasten mine to my day pack so I don't slip and fall on it. The sheath is not always going to keep you safe in a accident. For this reason I carry a folder on me and bring a fixed blade on my gear away from me.

Last edited:
YC, the Oxhead is made by Itlis in Germany and is the standard in the mineral exploration industry for line cutting and claim staking. It has a thin profile blade which makes it perfect for blazing trees and squaring up trees to use as claim posts but it isn't the best as a camp axe for splitting because of the risk of getting it stuck. The steel is excellent and rings like a christmas bell!

Well mem, you've just widened my search and deepened my conundrum. Just when I narrowed down my axe list to one, you've added another. No problem. Another cup of coffee and some more procrastinating-planning. That was a nice gift. I'm sure you deserved it.
I was just joking about the jumper cables. I didn't wrap them. Ha!! No, I was joking about the whole jumper cable thing, although I have made some rookie mistakes. I'm all growed up now and sensible. The knife idea is I'm sure a good one. She'd be pleased. She wouldn't be pleased with an axe. She calls it "your tool." In all seriousness, I'd like her to learn more around camp and canoe. Next season she wants to try carrying the canoe alone. She's never so much as tried to before so I'm happy to hear she wants to learn. It wouldn't hurt if she learned some safe wood splitting too.
It's a funny old world, one in which we two sexes have a division of labour. I suppose it all made sense once upon a time. He'll go out to hunt and gather while she'll stay home to cook, manufacture and farm. These divisions of labour seem pretty arbitrary to me now. Especially when I glance over at a black & white photo of my mum and dad. They're sitting in shorts and tool belts; backs against a stud framed wall, resting in the sun. He's sitting in profile to the camera, weary but relaxed, just about to nod off smiling. She's turned to the camera sitting smiling beside her husband; equally tanned, tired and happy. They were building a house and home together, and together they built so much more. Divisions of labour are funny things. Perhaps what works for some doesn't fit others. Around our home M takes on certain tasks without question, as do I. Sometimes those jobs overlap e.g.. we'll work in the yard and we'll work in the kitchen. I'd like to see her more independent around canoe and camp, both for practical reasons, and for reasons of self satisfaction too. One day, one trip, one season at a time.
Vacuum cleaners. Ouch. That's a touchy subject. She chose our current model. I objected. I preferred a more portable one, but she insisted on this one. I do use them, I'm no Neanderthal. I just pointed out certain features I preferred, but had my choices vetoed. I'll be careful not to grumble too loudly as I push that stupid thing around...just in case she figures out how to gift wrap and fit a vacuum into my stocking.

Last edited:
Back