• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

CCS tarp :)

I know that this is an older thread but I prefer to add to existing threads rather than start new ones on the same or very similar topis. To add to the info here about poles here are a couple of resources for making custom poles and sets:

questoutfitters.com/

I'll add that the CCS tarps are a terrific value and are priced not much more than the retail cost of the fabric and other materials need to make one......

Lance

I know that this is an older thread but I prefer to add to existing threads rather than start new ones on the same or very similar topis. To add to the info here about poles here are a couple of resources for making custom poles and sets:
Another reason to carry a setting pole.

Hello all,

Question on tarps. If ordering a CCS tarp (10 x 14) do you recommend going with the 1.1 or the 1.9 weight?

I know there is a price and weight difference, but outside of that, what are the pro's and con's?
They are both durable. I think Dan recommends the heavier one if weight is not a concern. You can contact him on the CCS website. I have a 15 year old 1.1 weight one but I never buy replacement gear so price is not an issue for me. I buy sometimes expensive boats with cost per use in mind too. Others have different budget priorities.

Thank you YC for your comment above, and I do believe I will be happy.

I purchased a cover for one of my solo canoes from Dan a short time back. It is a joy to use and my buddies are envious!

iirc the 1.1 ounce are more expensive because it's more difficult - time consuming - to sew, and thus Dan's recommending the 1.9.

I think at 10x12 it's an 11 ounce difference, which for canoeing doesn't matter to me. Backpacking maybe.

iirc the 1.1 ounce are more expensive because it's more difficult - time consuming - to sew, and thus Dan's recommending the 1.9.

I think at 10x12 it's an 11 ounce difference, which for canoeing doesn't matter to me. Backpacking maybe.
Especially after the first night when you have dew and condensation adhere to both sides and all the shaking in the world is not getting it off.

Kudo's to Dan, not just on great products, but on great service.

When I ordered I had inquired about the delivery time, this being due to a trip I have coming up in early October. Since I ordered later than I had planned I didn't think I would be bringing the tarp on this trip.

Getting home last nite I see an email stating the tarp had shipped - a new toy for a new trip.

Thank you Dan!!

You will love your CCS tarp. I am fond of ours. At first I wondered if a 10x14 might be a bit overly large but over the years have come to appreciate all that luxury. And as you'll no doubt find, the quality can't be beat.

I gotta say, this tarp is the cats-arse.

4 days of wind and rain on LTL and Chick and I were tucked away playing backgammon safe as can be.

I was surprised at how much more versatile Dan's 10 x14 tarp is over my current 10 x 10. I mean, I know it's bigger, but the extra 4' provided benefits that seemed to far outweigh what on paper is 40 more feet.

I purchased a yellow one, and the under-tarp experience was dramatically improved over my current green tarp. Much like the additional square footage, the benefit of the lighter colored fabric was huge, especially early and late, and far outweighed my expectations. Now I hate my green tarp.

At first, Chick wasn't sure about the cost to benefit ratio of this tarp, but after this trip, she is a true convert.

Everyone single person I know needs one of these.

Thank you Dan.

Mine is green. Mine is from 2005. There is nothing wrong with my tarp. Now I want a sunny colored one..aagh. 10-14 is a versatile size .. Use it for solo and also couples trips. Big enough to make an almost Baker tent for windy cold days.

I own a CCS multi-colored tarp. A buddy owns the green one. At a gathering at his place in the Adirondacks, we set both up to create one big rain shetler and everyone preferred being under the multi-colored one.

Happy CCS tundra tarp owner here. I have a 12 x 12.5 in yellow. I went with yellow after hanging out under my buddy's yellow 10 x 10 on a trip. Great tarps.

I also have one of their tarp poles, and it is high quality. They are made by Easton and are very solid. I bought the longer one, and I want to get one or two of the shorter length poles as well.

I've been using a 20yr old Hennessey Hammock octagonal tarp. It's lightweight and packs well, but is quite leaky and more importantly, a bit small. It's also not that versatile with its shape, and it's dark green (I'd never considered the light-under-tarp factor until reading this).

I'm tempted by a CCS tarp but have to say I balk at the price. I'm sure it's worth the value, especially if you trip a lot, or trip long and are guaranteed bad-weather days. But I usually only manage a few weekend trips in a year, and often cancel if the forecast is all rain. I believe in buying top quality gear - buy once, cry once. Much of my gear is over 20yrs old because I bought quality the first time. But, given how (in)frequently I actually use a tarp.... are there other brands out there that pack similarly small and light but are a bit more economical? (I'm not interested in trying to pack a hardware store tarp into the backcountry.)

Been using a Big Agnes Ptarmigan ‘14x’14. Packs reasonably small and provides great coverage.

Prefer the orange over the green. Orange casts a brighter mood than green on gloomy days. Not quite as bright as WolfsmanBrother!

Attachments

• IMG_7434.jpeg
    IMG_7434.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7432.jpeg
    IMG_7432.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 10
Reading back thru this thread was fun, but I had jut received my CCS tarp but had limited use. Now with a few trips under my belt it has evolved into my sole late season shelter. I don't like sleeping in tents - I'm too big and they are to close to the ground. I just set this baby up with the correct angle to repel wind and rain. Ground cloth and pad down I build a wall with the packs for a headboard. I can sleep like this down into the 30's. I use a mummy bag as a quilt.

FYI - In the spring I bring my Eureka No Bug Zone instead of a tent. LOVE the ability to stand up inside, and while getting in and out. It's not waterproof like a tent fly but it repels water fairly well and I bring a fly from an old tent as back-up. Works great.

I bought a white CCS tarp for my wall tent, it replaced my tired green Campmore tarp, and it seems to let more light in.

DSC06033.JPG

I bought a white CCS tarp for my wall tent, it replaced my tired green Campmore tarp, and it seems to let more light in.

View attachment 138592
I have my Campmor 10 x 10 tarp which I have used for years. I still take it on solo trips, but it is dark under there. Chick sewed some D rings on it so I can hang netting under it. I have been waiting for the thing to die for a decade, but it won't.

Back