CCS tarp :)

Reaction score
I know that this is an older thread but I prefer to add to existing threads rather than start new ones on the same or very similar topis. To add to the info here about poles here are a couple of resources for making custom poles and sets:

questoutfitters.com/

I'll add that the CCS tarps are a terrific value and are priced not much more than the retail cost of the fabric and other materials need to make one......

Lance

Reaction score
I know that this is an older thread but I prefer to add to existing threads rather than start new ones on the same or very similar topis. To add to the info here about poles here are a couple of resources for making custom poles and sets:
Another reason to carry a setting pole.

Reaction score
Hello all,

Question on tarps. If ordering a CCS tarp (10 x 14) do you recommend going with the 1.1 or the 1.9 weight?

I know there is a price and weight difference, but outside of that, what are the pro's and con's?
They are both durable. I think Dan recommends the heavier one if weight is not a concern. You can contact him on the CCS website. I have a 15 year old 1.1 weight one but I never buy replacement gear so price is not an issue for me. I buy sometimes expensive boats with cost per use in mind too. Others have different budget priorities.

Reaction score
Thank you YC for your comment above, and I do believe I will be happy.

I purchased a cover for one of my solo canoes from Dan a short time back. It is a joy to use and my buddies are envious!

Reaction score
iirc the 1.1 ounce are more expensive because it's more difficult - time consuming - to sew, and thus Dan's recommending the 1.9.

I think at 10x12 it's an 11 ounce difference, which for canoeing doesn't matter to me. Backpacking maybe.

Reaction score
iirc the 1.1 ounce are more expensive because it's more difficult - time consuming - to sew, and thus Dan's recommending the 1.9.

I think at 10x12 it's an 11 ounce difference, which for canoeing doesn't matter to me. Backpacking maybe.
Especially after the first night when you have dew and condensation adhere to both sides and all the shaking in the world is not getting it off.

Reaction score
Kudo's to Dan, not just on great products, but on great service.

When I ordered I had inquired about the delivery time, this being due to a trip I have coming up in early October. Since I ordered later than I had planned I didn't think I would be bringing the tarp on this trip.

Getting home last nite I see an email stating the tarp had shipped - a new toy for a new trip.

Thank you Dan!!

Reaction score
You will love your CCS tarp. I am fond of ours. At first I wondered if a 10x14 might be a bit overly large but over the years have come to appreciate all that luxury. And as you'll no doubt find, the quality can't be beat.

Reaction score
I gotta say, this tarp is the cats-ass.

4 days of wind and rain on LTL and Chick and I were tucked away playing backgammon safe as can be.

I was surprised at how much more versatile Dan's 10 x14 tarp is over my current 10 x 10. I mean, I know it's bigger, but the extra 4' provided benefits that seemed to far outweigh what on paper is 40 more feet.

I purchased a yellow one, and the under-tarp experience was dramatically improved over my current green tarp. Much like the additional square footage, the benefit of the lighter colored fabric was huge, especially early and late, and far outweighed my expectations. Now I hate my green tarp.

At first, Chick wasn't sure about the cost to benefit ratio of this tarp, but after this trip, she is a true convert.

Everyone single person I know needs one of these.

Thank you Dan.

Reaction score
Mine is green. Mine is from 2005. There is nothing wrong with my tarp. Now I want a sunny colored one..aagh. 10-14 is a versatile size .. Use it for solo and also couples trips. Big enough to make an almost Baker tent for windy cold days.

Reaction score
I own a CCS multi-colored tarp. A buddy owns the green one. At a gathering at his place in the Adirondacks, we set both up to create one big rain shetler and everyone preferred being under the multi-colored one.