• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Tarp pole modification

Reaction score
So a couple of years ago I bought a CCS tarp as my old one from the 70’s finally had enough. After the first year using it in the BWCA and how over used the campsites were I decided to buy a pole to go with it so I didn’t have to rely on finding a pole to cut each night, as I said the campsites are over used. That prompted making this top button, sorry I don’t have a pic in use but the webbing straps on the CCS tarp just wrap around it and hold it securely.
Then after this years trip I discovered a need for a hook to help pull down a line used to get the bear bag in the tree and also place a tarp line into a tree that had way too many branches to be able to throw a weighted line. This is what I made for that task, it weighs very little and both items just get packed with the tarp. I can now reach 14’ up into a tree to place a line over a branch. If I was to make another one I would make the hook end with a narrower apex so it might actually grab the line instead of depending on jamming the knot or weight, but so far this works fine.
Jim
EE6C07CB-09FD-43E4-BFE0-523BCDA37E10.jpeg
C39D91F7-AAAB-4366-80FF-26FC4C2B78AE.jpeg
DB03E073-2EC0-4B60-A296-AC8643D578D3.jpeg
7EB85D68-641C-45F8-89F2-23F0BDE8F6C7.jpeg
811F5DCC-C64D-47B8-AA03-C2603E34BA36.jpeg

Attachments

• BA922308-008F-49F3-9C46-F7DA9A271F23.jpeg
    BA922308-008F-49F3-9C46-F7DA9A271F23.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 16
Very good! 👍

the best ideas come out of practice ... I love self-made solutions.

Thanks for showing

Michael

A great idea! I've been finding suitable branches to put a tarp line up over a tree branch because, as you said, on most of the trees there are a way too many closely spaced branches to allow one to throw a weighted line over them.
What material did you use to make your device?
Thanks!

I used some real old phenolic micarta for lack of knowing its actual name. It’s a fabric and plastic of some kind. I made the mistake of sawing the first two cuts to create the leg with the bandsaw and my wife thought I set the barn on fire, it smelled just like a hot electrical fire. After that all other cuts were made with a hacksaw, it still smelled bad but it wasn’t so pervasive. It would probably work fine if you had some 1/2” Baltic plywood or any other plywood with many laminates.
Jim

I don't do bear hangs but getting the tarp ridge line high enough up in a tree can be an issue anywhere. I can see this being a help as long as you have the pole.

I don't do bear hangs but getting the tarp ridge line high enough up in a tree can be an issue anywhere. I can see this being a help as long as you have the pole.
Where I usually canoe camp there is not much traffic so there is usually a good choice of small trees. I find one about 6' to 8' long and I leave a Y at the end. I put the rope with a weight over the Y and run the rope along the shaft of the stick. I then raise the stick and drop the weighted rope over a branch. It works quite well but if I'm taking a pole anyway, it would be easier to have Boatman53's hook.

That was what I’ve done too Ralph, but now with this I don’t have to search for something to cut in an area that might be overused but this is also faster if the weather is bad or about to be bad. Yes I usually bring the pole.
Jim

I don't use a tarp. A big Umbrella serves me better.
It's big enough for me to cook under, even in the rain.
At night I keep it next to the tent, for when I need to go. It serves as a cane, to walk, or get up off the ground.
It can be set up in a second.

I do love ideas, as Jim's is certainly worthy !
I may have to make one. The aluminum pole for my tent could be rigged with a similar grapple hook !

Thanks !

Back