• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Carbon Straight Shaft

I cut my carbon shaft and taped it fora bit until I shortened it to where it felt good, a little shorter than my other paddles. Then i epoxied it and cleaned up the overspill that was squeezed out. I used shrink tubing over the seam to give it a cleaner look Andy protect it some. It’s a very easy task

Enjoy your new paddle

Kona gave me permission to answer. The inertia of a swinging object is defined as the mass (at the center of gravity) times the radius from the axis of rotation squared. So you want to minimize the distance between the balance point of the paddle and the axis of rotation (and if you could reduce the distance 10% that would be equivalent to reducing paddle weight 21%!). If you assume that your lower hand is the pivot point then you'd want the balance point there. And you can envision that if you are switching sides then when you release your lower hand the ideal balance point would be at your upper hand. But when both hands are on the paddle I think the axis of rotation (the point on the shaft that moves the least) is between your upper and lower hand. I don't know if the ideal CG is always exactly in the middle between upper and lower hands.

I'd like to see where the balance point is on one of those old mustache paddles.
I know nickels weigh 5 grams. I bet with a few paddles, some nickles, scale and tape we could learn a few things. Tom we are long over due for a paddle. I can bring a scale nickles and a couple paddles and I am sure we can come up with the solution for world peace and climate change too.

Last edited:
I thought for sure some one would have caught my mistake and called me on it. I said a Nickle is 5 mg but I meant 5 grams. Whats a factor of 10 right?

Well, the ice isn't completely out, but there is a section of lake in front of the bridge in our town that is open for about a kilometer. So I tied my new paddle in and portaged the 500 meters to the bridge, paddled for over an hour and then portaged back home.
I really liked the werner, nice and light, and the blade size seemed perfect. I used the bent black bart that Alan had given me, and although also a sweet paddle, it pushed quite a bit more water. The werner seems geared to my new slow but steady pace.

Here's what my portaging rig is going to look like for my upcoming trip.
JlY7TbR.jpg

And in another thread, we were talking about fasteners, these are my new favorites, like big rubber twist ties. When I'm in Thunder bay next week, I'm going to pick up the longer size, just to make the process a little faster.
6LXzgWr.jpg

Paddling season is back in the north, I'm hoping to get out daily, even if it is just doing circles in the ice.

portaged the 500 meters to the bridge
Sorry, you don't qualify yet for the Weakling and Geezer Society.

Glad you liked your carbon, given that all life is carbon based. Which model canoe is that? And where did you get that yoke pad?

The canoe is the J. Winters' Osprey, I built it a couple of years ago, it has yet to go on an extended trip, hoping to rectify that in June. The yoke pad was made by hooligan gear, a Canadian company. I'm not sure, but I think they are out of production now.

Back