• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Carbon / Kevlar BLACK Pearl

So, what ended up happening with that? Did they straighten out after release?

Yes ! The epoxy/glass, bond wasn't enough to hold the shape of the Cedar !

Things I should have done ? Maybe Steam bend the Cedar ? Glassed the underside ? That might have been a trick !

The foam however held the shape quite well.

I will try again on the next stripper ! I think it would be cool !

Jim

Yes ! I still want to use Ash for the gunnels. I like it's stiffness, and durability.

I picked a short plank of Northern Catalpa, It's kiln dried, and seems a lot lighter than Ash. I may shave off a strip and compare it to Ash. In handling it, it seemed closer to Cedar in weight.

Any experience with ???

Jim

The last time I went to Canoecopia about three years ago there was a presentation about a group who built a pair of tripping canoes and used Catalpa for the strips. I've been keeping my eyes open for some ever since to maybe use for an accent strip. Where did you find it? I believe their source was an urban tree that was turned into lumber.
Bernard

Saw Mill in Albert City !
I'll PM the info to you tomorrow !

Weather is warming up ! And I'm MAKING time for Black Pearl !

Yesterday I glassed the flotation chambers in, First to refresh memories ( It's been awhile)
I started with foam bent and glassed with a layer of 9 oz S-glass.
After trimming it to fit, I laid on a layer 8 oz Kevlar, and covered that with a 6 oz E-glass layer.

Here is a pic.

edited-image_zps9gjvspws.png

Today is Gunnel construction time.

More later ! Sorry !

Last edited:
Still working on pics !

While I cut ash for Gunnels, I took the opportunity to test out my Skilsaw collection. Every time I ran across a good deal on a Skilsaw, I would buy one and set it up. The main reason is I could set each saw for a specific thickness of strip.

All the saws on on the strongback met my Standards. The Old Makita, my first Good saw, has by far the most mileage.
My hat is off to Freud for making an excellent smooth cutting blade ! Their 24T 7 1/4" Diablo is my favorite.

edited-image_zpshi4sr3jt.png

Back to the saws. I had only one saw that didn't meet my standards, and that was the Dewalt ! It was too flexible between the base and the saw body ! Plastic. The Dewalt had plenty of power , and I liked the base surface, It was only the excessive flex..

I was lucky to find several 1 x 15" x 18 1/2' Ash planks for gunnel strips. This gave me a good opportunity to test the saws.

But I have the trim about done.

Ash gunnels, thwart, and seat should add close to 10#.. Hoping for a 35# canoe.

Cut the seat, and hanger brackets.

Last edited:
Well ,Black Pearl is done except varnish and Watco.

Weighed it today at just under 36#.

Still struggling with pic posting !

Jim

I was going to bug you for photo's ... but since you fessed up to issues, I will wait patiently. BTW have you swapped from PB yet?

Jim,
36 lbs is plenty good!!
I just went back and reread all of this thread, tons of good info here.
As for those curved, stripped chambers, yes, glassing both sides will definitely make them keep their shape.
After all, it seems to work for the hulls, right?

So when is the maiden voyage?

Jim,
36 lbs is plenty good!!

So when is the maiden voyage?

Hoping for a couple of weeks !
I'll varnish the outside tomorrow. give it 4 or 5 days then the inside. Then the Watco on the trim. Keeping my fingers crossed !

Thanks for your help over the years !

Jim

I was going to bug you for photo's ... but since you fessed up to issues, I will wait patiently. BTW have you swapped from PB yet?

Still working on it ! I'm not getting anywhere with Google either.

Jim

OK Trying for some more pics. These again have been resized ! What a time consuming endeavor !

edited-image_zpsyycyxlsz.png

Last edited:
Doing a little sanding on outside today, and that Black hull gets hot in the direct Sun !!!

Have it back inside, and the outwhale masked off.
In the AM I'll brush on the First coat of Helmsman's Spare varnish.
I won't take any pics until BP is ready for water !

After building these composites. I kinda feel like they are "Rat Rods" of the canoeing world !

Sure you could go out and buy a $3,000 canoe, that is light and pretty ! But This canoe will serve me Fine this Fall in the BWCA !

It will be a lot easier for this Old Geezer to portage !

Thanks for indulging me thus far !

Jim

Thanks latremorej !

I'm really anxious to compare the hulls ON the water !

Jim

FINISHED !!

Ole Black Pearl has a lot of cosmetic flaws, but I'm happy !

A break down of the weights. The hull came off the Male mold at 22 #. The Flotation chambers, trim and finish added 16 1/2 #.

It weighs in at 36 1/2 #. I can handle that pretty easily on the portages.

Looking for to take her on a trip to the BWCA this Fall.

Thanks everyone for following along !

Pics still to come !

Jim

Last edited:
Thank you Jim for all your building posts, I appreciate them very much. It is inspiring in deed and I know a carbon fiber something is in my future.
Jim

Very slick looking! Nice job JIm. What weight to you think you can carry in that? You do nice work!

This Hull wasn't Computer designed, so I can't really give a weight capacity.

At 16' long, and 29" wide, it will easily carry a 240# paddler and gear for a week, maybe two.

I love my Original Pearl, but at around 10# lighter, I think me and Blacky will be Eloping a lot !

Jim

Back