• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Canoetripping Trivia Challenge

Oops, I guess I didn’t consider that there might be more than one.... my apologies. My Inlet campsite is located in The Pine Tree State.

So, I assume you’re correct Mr. Turtle. Your turn to propose a question.

What is the difference in Bell Canoe's KevLight and KevCrystal layups? What year did Bell make the change? Bonus question: Who cares?

KevCrystal was a funny red color and they made the change in 1997. :rolleyes:

Which name is cooler, Wabakimi or Wannakina?

Hmmm... OK. Where might one find Inlet campsite?

Foul Foul Protest

Inlet campsite
North Umpqua River.

Didn't know you could camp at Inlet on the Oswegatchie RIver.. Thought it was a parking lot only.
Inlet on the Allagash is very nice. Outlet too.. Hubby liked Outlet better. The occupants were naked European ladies.

Ah Mr. Yellowcanoe, note that I asked Inlet campsite, not Inlet campground! All in fun of course. But you got it... Inlet campsite on Round Pond, Allagash Waterway.

I've camped there twice; first as a 14 year old in 1966 with my Boy Scout troop, and more recently- well, some 40 years later- with my adult son. His first canoe trip. Great site each time!

Grumpus, I am no expert or industry insider but this is what I thought I knew when I was in the market for used Bell canoes, back in the day. It seems like trivia these days.

My answer is that KevLight replaced KevCrystal in 2004. KevLight was a wet vacuum bagged. No gel coat but used resin as a surface layer. KevCrystal was clear (usually) gel over an all kevlar laminate, and so heavier.

But, in fact, I also think there were two kinds of KevCrystal, with the change happening around 2000, No sure of the exact nature of the change. I recall that Bell used a kevlar that had a red dye or tint for a short time. Maybe that was in 1997. I have only a vague memory of ever seeing the redish ones.

Vinylester resin.

Of course, there was also white gold (fiberglass and kevlar) and my favorite, black gold (carbon and kevlar).

Now, about the various trim packages . . .

You're new here aren't you. Ha ha.

;);););););)
Mr Corry read carefully! What did I write that made you think I was Q?

DaveO I had a Merlin in Kev Lite. It was a clear skin coat but since I got the boat in 2001 .
Canoe history does have a fuzzy tinge. Its worse that Bell was famous for tinkering around with laminates and spitting out a few testies before branding a layup. There was Bell Twaron. It is time for me to buy several cases of red wine and proceed to CEW boathouse on Lower Saranac Lake.

Ah Mr. Yellowcanoe, note that I asked Inlet campsite, not Inlet campground! All in fun of course. But you got it... Inlet campsite on Round Pond, Allagash Waterway.

I've camped there twice; first as a 14 year old in 1966 with my Boy Scout troop, and more recently- well, some 40 years later- with my adult son. His first canoe trip. Great site each time!

Which Round Pond. There are a couple on AWW aren't there?

Yellowcanoe, my sincere apologies; apparently I am not a close reader!

Alsg, right you are... Inlet site is on the most northerly Round Pond, just south of Musquacook Deadwater.

Yellowcanoe, my sincere apologies; apparently I am not a close reader!

Alsg, right you are... Inlet site is on the most northerly Round Pond, just south of Musquacook Deadwater.

Aah.. It's not my turn. But I have to ask. How many Round Ponds are there in Maine? Break out those Gazetteers! OMG I just found a list of ponds and Lakes.. There are tons of them named Mud!

If I did the math correctly according to "Maine Hometown Locator" there is one (1) round bog, two (2) round lakes, two (2) Round Mt. Ponds and forty (40) Round Ponds. So if I'm correct here is the next trivia question, another fairly easy one. Name to two (2) canoe carries between Axton Landing and the village of Saranac. Bonus points name the creek you would take and the name of the road to Axton Landing.

If I did the math correctly according to "Maine Hometown Locator" there is one (1) round bog, two (2) round lakes, two (2) Round Mt. Ponds and forty (40) Round Ponds. So if I'm correct here is the next trivia question, another fairly easy one. Name to two (2) canoe carries between Axton Landing and the village of Saranac. Bonus points name the creek you would take and the name of the road to Axton Landing.

Indian Carry to Upper Saranac Lake. Bartlett Carry to Middle Saranac Lake. Bonus points would be Axton Landing Road off Corey's Rd. If putting in at Stoney Creek Ponds it would be Ampersand Brook which is a fun paddle!

Apologies for thread drift... but about Mud Pond:

The reference to Mud Pond made me think; some years ago I built a large camp for a client on Caribou Lake (the one northwest of Millinocket on the Golden Road). I've wondered about extending an Allagash trip by starting at Ripogenous Dam and paddling into Caribou Lake, then into Chesuncook Lake, past Gero Island, then it looks like one might just float on a trickle into Umbazooksus Lake. A 1.75 mile portage to Longley Stream leads one into MUD POND. From there it's a short hop/drag on another trickle into Chamberlain Lake and the start of the official Allagash.

By my calculations it will add nearly 30 miles of paddling, and maybe 2.5 miles of portage.

Apologies for thread drift... but about Mud Pond:

The reference to Mud Pond made me think; some years ago I built a large camp for a client on Caribou Lake (the one northwest of Millinocket on the Golden Road). I've wondered about extending an Allagash trip by starting at Ripogenous Dam and paddling into Caribou Lake, then into Chesuncook Lake, past Gero Island, then it looks like one might just float on a trickle into Umbazooksus Lake. A 1.75 mile portage to Longley Stream leads one into MUD POND. From there it's a short hop/drag on another trickle into Chamberlain Lake and the start of the official Allagash.

By my calculations it will add nearly 30 miles of paddling, and maybe 2.5 miles of portage.

Not much reason to paddle into Caribou which is just an extension of Chesuncook..The foot of it is stuffed with dri ki making launch impossible and there are many private camps on the shore.

There is a launch on the Golden Road into Caribou. But we usually use the state launch on Ripogenus Lake.

You might enjoy this write up going the other way than you are thinking of.. Water levels matter.. We did not get into Umbazooksus lake when we prodded into that area ( as a detour)
https://canoetales.wordpress.com/tag/mud-pond-carry/

Thanks for the mud pond carry link. Quite entertaining. I did notice that dri ki piled up at the intersection with the Greenville Rd as we drove by each day to the job site from Pray's Cottages. Quite impressive! In spite of the camps I would probably spend the first night at my friends camp on Caribou. And of course, hope for high water so probably a Spring trip. Next year?

Thanks for the mud pond carry link. Quite entertaining. I did notice that dri ki piled up at the intersection with the Greenville Rd as we drove by each day to the job site from Pray's Cottages. Quite impressive! In spite of the camps I would probably spend the first night at my friends camp on Caribou. And of course, hope for high water so probably a Spring trip. Next year?

Next year? heck no. This year as soon as BPL opens canpsites. I can be there in three hours! But I will be doing Lobster Lake to Rip Dam again. A trip I never get tired of. Water levels allowing we will poke up past Caucogongomoc Lake as a side trip and maybe to Chamberlain.Probably not the latter. Age and a chair beckon for me to think rationally

Back