• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Canoe Weight Calculator

Reaction score
I share this here in the event that some here might find it useful. It's set up to to help canoe builders to determine the final weight of their canoe. It allows the user to make decisions about what canoe design to choose, which materials to use, and how much weight certain elements add to or subtract from the total.
Have at it. Thoughtful feedback welcome ...

Canoe Weight Calculator for Cedar Strip Construction - https://ashesstillwaterboats.com/can...ht-calculator/
Canoe-Weight-Free-Calculator-from-Ashes-3.png

Pretty cool. My son is currently building a 17 ft tandem, that hull has been built by me many times.
The canoe weight calculator was spot on at 37 lbs., even though there was no option for mahogany gunnels and trim.
Should have the option for 1 full layer of glass or 1-1/2 layers.

When I used to help build composite canoes, when the boat was done we always weighed it and even though they were vacuum infused, it always varied some. A fun time.

Interesting. I always build with stems, but inner and outer are cedar. White pine is a good wood for stripping if you don't care about weight. All my boats have a double layer of six ounce on the bottom. Also, individual weights on the same boat will vary depending on how sparing the builder is with epoxy. Some squeegy the hull pretty close, some don't even squeegy. Some do fill coats on the interior, some don't.

I suspect the tricky part is knowing the hull area, that sort of drives everything.

Ah yes, and since our clever plan is to sell plans (hint hint wink wink) we list the surface area of our boats but do include the surface areas for generic prospectors and modern trippers at certain lengths in the side bar.

LIke Mem, we tend to build a little bit on the sturdier side since we are not gentle with our boats. I have been giving this some thought of late though and may try an ultralight build to see how it goes. a 40 lb Jack's Special would be the cat's pyjamas.

I am also pondering a lightweight w/c build a la Langford. Smaller ribs, thinner planking, spruce gunwales and stems. The weight of the canvas is the tricky part.

Christy

LIke Mem, we tend to build a little bit on the sturdier side since we are not gentle with our boats. I have been giving this some thought of late though and may try an ultralight build to see how it goes. a 40 lb Jack's Special would be the cat's pyjamas.

I am also pondering a lightweight w/c build a la Langford. Smaller ribs, thinner planking, spruce gunwales and stems. The weight of the canvas is the tricky part.

Christy

I know it might be Blasphemy (I had to look that one up!) But you could remove the outwhales on one of your WC beauties, and use it as a male mold, for a Kevlar or Kevlar/ Carbon copy ?? Just an idea to toss around !!

Jim

I've been thinking about doing that with a new Raven. Making a new cedar strip plug and doing the kevlar thingy. Endless possibilities.

Back