• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Canoe tripping Roosevelt River

Thanks for posting. Looks like a beautiful place. Sometimes I think it would be really fun to travel to South America and paddle some of those rivers. Then I think of the humidity, bugs, strange diseases, and fish that try to swim up your pecker if you pee in the water and decide to just stick with Canada.

Alan

Dear Alan,
You haven't seen enough of Canada have you? Humidity, strange diseases, and fish that try to swim up to your pecker and bite it off if you swim in the water sans swimming trunks...Come on back and enjoy our wild hospitality! (lol)

Thanks wysedave, I'll watch this over the weekend. The funny thing about "other places" is, I always underestimate their wow-ness! until I see and experience them for myself. I've never thought much about paddling South America, but I bet it would wow me beyond measure!

Dear Alan,
You haven't seen enough of Canada have you? Humidity, strange diseases, and fish that try to swim up to your pecker and bite it off if you swim in the water sans swimming trunks...Come on back and enjoy our wild hospitality! (lol)

Thanks wysedave, I'll watch this over the weekend. The funny thing about "other places" is, I always underestimate their wow-ness! until I see and experience them for myself. I've never thought much about paddling South America, but I bet it would wow me beyond measure!

I think I caught one of those pecker eaters on the Kap in August, mind you it was big enough to take part of your leg too.

Nice video, I watched it between putting strips on the new build. Very well done video.

A little Googling reveals the fish that lodges itself in your pecker is likely just myth. That's a real relief to me as it's always given me the willies every time I think of it. I guess that removes one of my obstacles to paddling in the South American rain forest. Although there was mention in the article of amputated peckers likely caused by piranha attacks. Maybe those two will just cancel each other out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candiru

Alan

Thanks Dave !
Quite enjoyable !
I was anticipating some crocodile footage. But glad that wasn't the case, as I'll be going to bed soon ! Ha !

Jim

Candice Millard wrote the excellent book "River of Doubt," which traces the Roosevelt/Rondon expedition's trip on this river. It's an excellent read, and if you are ever thinking you are on a hard portage, you can reflect on the portages the Roosevelt/Rondon team completed, and then you will think your portage isn't so bad. In the video, you hear one of the guys say he "had to" make this trip after reading "the book". I'm pretty sure he is alluding to Millard's book.

One can hardly compare this present-day trip to the Roosevelt/Rondon trip. They didn't even know where the river went or came out, there was no aerial scouting, they didn't know where the rapids were, there were no portage paths and they were out of communication with the world for the several month duration of the trip. The gear was strictly 19th century. Several of the team died. Roosevelt became severely ill, almost died, and was never the same man after surviving the trip. The hardship of their journey was incredible. Still, a nice video, interesting to watch, but really, no comparison.

~~Chip

Thanks for the video. I concur with Chip, the book was excellent. I would love to do a trip like that someday. I've been down the Amazon in big boats, but a paddle trip, if only for a week would be incredible!

That was an enjoyable film, thanks wysedav. It's interesting to see how much, and how little has changed over 100 years.

Well that sucks. Looks like the video has been deleted. Oh well, I'm going to Brazil in a year so maybe I can film it then (just kidding...I'm going to Brazil but doubt I've got the ability to do that trip :()

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back