• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Canoe Tripping Fundraiser & Raffle

My wife said she would make a set of removable dry bag tags with your name on one side and item inside on the other side.

Those are nice. I had not appreciated the name on one side and contents ID on the other. Added to the prize list.

Presumably available custom lettered? The imagination runs wild with descriptors and messages. So many possibilities; “Smelly clothes and old socks – Open at your own risk”, “Mike’s Booze and Smokables”, “DO NOT remove this tag under penalty of law”.

We are up to a dozen raffle prizes. I recall that a cap on the number of prizes was set one year, so that the video draw was not an hour long dammit-I-still-never-won event. And so Doug didn’t have to pronounce too many multi-syllabic words or names.

I’m not trying to dissuade anyone from contributing a raffle prize. This year’s books, DIY and custom crafted prizes may be the best yet.

Please see the canoetripping donation procedure info thread in the general discussion forum. The link is in the first post in that thread, along with other info.

I'll offer up for the raffle the same unopened Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen.) I did last year. PaddlingPitt won it, but declined to accept it on the grounds that he (like me) prefers oil lamps and short wave radios to much modern techno-wizardry.

Ironically, I've gotten a second free Echo Dot since then, again for signing up with Sirius/XM satellite radio. (That's sort of like short wave, isn't it?) I'm thinking of trying it out simply as a bedroom radio.

Last year in the CTN raffle, I fortunately won a brand new CCS 10' x 12', 1.1 oz. silnylon four-color tarp from Dan Cooke with guy lines and seam sealer. I've never even opened it, because I already have the same tarp in green and probably will never use it in my current situation -- age, Covid, and all. I'm not about to give it away, but I sort of feel guilty selling it, though that's probably what I'll do so it gets some deserved use.

I'll offer up for the raffle the same unopened Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen.) I did last year. PaddlingPitt won it, but declined to accept it on the grounds that he (like me) prefers oil lamps and short wave radios to much modern techno-wizardry.

Glenn, added to the raffle prize list. If I won it I’d re-gift it to one of my non-technophobic sons.

Last year in the CTN raffle, I fortunately won a brand new CCS 10' x 12', 1.1 oz. silnylon four-color tarp from Dan Cooke with guy lines and seam sealer. I've never even opened it, because I already have the same tarp in green and probably will never use it in my current situation -- age, Covid, and all. I'm not about to give it away, but I sort of feel guilty selling it, though that's probably what I'll do so it gets some deserved use.

I wouldn’t give it away either; that is an awesome tarp, as you know, and deserves to be used. Our larger CCS Tundra tarp, while light weight and stuffed small, is more spacious than I really need on solo trips. Maybe auction it off?

To lessen your guilt I’ll start the bidding with an additional $50 contribution to the Canoe Tripping fund.

(That would be a steal)

I wouldn’t give it away either; that is an awesome tarp, as you know, and deserves to be used. Our larger CCS Tundra tarp, while light weight and stuffed small, is more spacious than I really need on solo trips. Maybe auction it off?

To lessen your guilt I’ll start the bidding with an additional $50 contribution to the Canoe Tripping fund.

(That would be a steal)

That would be grand theft. Plus, since I wasn't a math major, how does your contributing more money to CTN put money in my pocket for the tarp? I'd accept a trade for the FishFinder or serious offers by PM.

Sorry for the tangent.

I remember looking over the list of prizes last year, and thinking “The only item on this list that I really don’t want is Glenn’s Amazon Echo Dot.” dang if I didn’t win it. Maybe I should try that approach with the lottery!

That would be grand theft. Plus, since I wasn't a math major, how does your contributing more money to CTN put money in my pocket for the tarp? I'd accept a trade for the FishFinder or serious offers by PM.

I thought Grand Theft required at least $500 or $1000 in thievery, and I’d only be ripping you off for $191.50. Plus everyone knows that as soon as you drive a tarp off the lot it loses half its value.

Among my ISO list of used canoes is another Pathfinder, or a Camper. I’m now given to understand that, set up with three seats, and a Crayola/Barbie utility thwart platform, those are worth big bucks.

I remember looking over the list of prizes last year, and thinking “The only item on this list that I really don’t want is Glenn’s Amazon Echo Dot.” dang if I didn’t win it. Maybe I should try that approach with the lottery!

Michael, maybe ask your astrologer for a list of your unlucky numbers and play those.

In that anti-wish technique works I sure hope I don’t win Snapper’s wooden spoon or leather Sami pouch. Of all the wonderful raffle donations those intrigue me the most, and I foresee them getting the most use and regular fondling appreciation.

Maybe we should have a different procedure for the raffle. This thought arises from the suspicion that many of us would want, or use, only some of the items. I know I would probably reject most because I don't have a need.

The different procedure would work like a professional sports draft. The first name picked out of the hat gets first choice of any item in the raffle. The second person picked gets the next choice from the remainder (or passes, if nothing remaining is of interest), and so on, until all the items are gone.

Of course, this would take quite a bit of time with back-and-forth communications, but it might make for an interesting thread for a couple of weeks. There are, for example, a lot of mock sports drafts on the internet. This wouldn't be mock, but the point is that people in those mock draft threads seem to enjoy the "suspense" of who gets to pick in what order and what draftee they choose.

If it’s not too late to offer up and item I would like to add one of the following. Either a multi tool like Robin post about a while ago, a puukko knife blade and handle blank for you to make your own knife, or a 24”x36” print of a Kennebec canoe that I did many years ago.
82EA136C-7609-40A6-B5F3-F6CAA92FC06F.jpeg
pics of the other items I can post later if necessary.
Which would be most desired, comments?
Jim

Glenn, I like that idea personally but also recognize, as you did, that it entails more time and effort on someone's part to herd the Canoe Tripping cats through such a process.

I suppose one could ask each entrant to subscribe to a "drawing thread" or do it as a part of this thread then assign a number to each entrant, draw a number and give that person one or two days to respond before posting the result and moving on to another drawn number.

Recognizing that the folks who keep the site full of ones and zeros may not want to get into that I'd be willing to take the lists of entrants and prizes and deal with it if the consensus leans that way.

Best regards to all,

Lance

If it’s not too late to offer up and item I would like to add one of the following.
Which would be most desired, comments?

Jim, until DaveO calls a halt I think raffle prize donations are still being accepted. I'll add them to the list.

Those are all desirable items, and each of us would likely have different desires.

Too late to add something? Going through map box and found duplicate set of Adirondack Park Map Pack. New,or atleast never in field nor marked. I may have opened one on dining room table. Not sure how this works, but will mail these to whomever.

Attachments

• photo18563.jpg
    photo18563.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 0
Raffle right, like door prizes? Not an auction where you can bid on specify items? Just trying to get up to speed.

Sorry folks, I have been a bit MIA dealing with unexpected obligations. I will get back to you all on the raffle fun shortly.

In the meantime, please see my update in the other sticky fundraising thread in general discussion.

Maybe I’ll just leave it and whoever draws my name can have their choice.

Jim, those are great raffle prizes, I would use or display any of them.

I seriously hope ex-Admin DougD wins something this year of eligibility; I think the Molasses Lovers display sign would add a touch of elegance to his shop.

Perhaps there is some after-party way of redistributing raffle prizes which the winners feel deserve more frequently used homes. What the heck is PaddingPitt going to do when he wins the Echo Dot again ;-) Fingers crossed Michael.

There is nothing on this years prize list that I wouldn’t use, read or at least try, or pass along to a paddling friend who would appreciate it more than me.

So to whoever draws my name they can have the choice of the canoe drawing/plans posted earlier or a knife blade and handle stock, or the multi tool. I bought the blade from the smith in Norway, it is laminated as is their tradition.
Jim

0BDF3FC0-B719-44E9-A002-024705BA958B.jpeg

So to whoever draws my name they can have the choice of the canoe drawing/plans posted earlier or a knife blade and handle stock, or the multi tool. I bought the blade from the smith in Norway, it is laminated as is their tradition.

Jim, I had forgotten how cool that vintage multi-tool was. I’d as soon carry those five tool ends (or swap a few out) as what’s on my Gerber multi-tool. Everything else, mini-pliers, scissors, awl, can/bottle opener and (dull-ish, never used, got better/sharper) knife blades are already on the Mechanic’s Swiss Army knife.

FWIW having a screwdriver without pliers (or, with pliers, but on the same tool) is dang near worthless at times. That might be just to tool on which to retrofit an attachable 3/8” box wrench, to hold most every canoe’s machine screw nut while tightening.

I never thought I’d be interested in knife-craft, but if all that is left to do (?) is attach a handle (scales, butt, bolster . . . . learning new words already) in some material and design of choice, that could be a really fun and educational project.

Add a DIY sheath, and finish sharpening, and, huh, now I want to make the next one a bit different, and, oh my, I see a potentially slippery slope ;-)

For those of us not in the know, what is the name for that blade shape?

Folks have donated some nice prizes, and this can and should be fun for all. Thank you.

March is here and it is time for the raffle!

Speaking of time, mine is particularly limited right now. I need some help.

I have never uploaded a video to youtube. I would like to establish a canoetripping youtube channel someday, but that is not in the cards anytime soon.

How about a canoetripping twitter feed? Yeah, right. I have never been on twitter either. My technical skills are business oriented, not social media, although these days, the two are merging.

My thoughts are that either: 1) Someone needs to tutor me in youtube (if I can use a simple digital camera to record it and don't need to buy equipment); or 2) I can do the raffle and post the results here. The former is way more fun. I sure enjoyed Doug's videos. The latter is time-efficient. Maybe you all can think of a good third alternative.

What say you?

Back