• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Canoe storage stand/rack

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas for storage of 3 canoes with a minimum footprint. Maybe wall mounted, possibly
free standing. Solo canoe size so weight requirements are under 50 lbs each.

Wall mounted can be done with 2x4s. We did a wall mounted rack in the garage, horizontal boards supported with boards at 45 degrees, screwed directly to the studs, but if going over drywall just run a vertical board and screw/lag bolt it into a stud first as the anchor point.

I built a simple three boat rack in my barn using leftover 2x4's and other lumber I had laying around. Nothing fancy. The three boats are now stacked off the floor directly above each other on their own shelf. Believe me, if I can do this, so can you. Nothing to it but some time and energy well spent.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Please bear in mind I do not possess one iota of construction ability, so the attached shows the upper limit of my capabilities.

It does work for me, I can add another level for another canoe or even take the entire thing down if I need the space. Cost just about nothing - pre Covid.

Attachments

• Canoe Rack.JPG
    Canoe Rack.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 25
I know that you asked about a stand but depending on how much height you have to work with overhead storage can be handy as it preserves floor and wall space. We have four canoes, all 16-18' long, 24' and 28' extension ladders all hung in our basement with the hoists shown in post #9 here:

And, of course, there are several other overhead options shown, too.

Lance

We have some boats on wall mounts, and some on double-decker sawhorses.

PB060015 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

And some wider/taller double-decker sawhorses that accommodate three or four boats.

PB211373 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The double decker sawhorses have the advantage of being portable/movable.
Mike, that red and white decked boat looks like it should have a steering wheel and a jet drive!

Not my idea and not my pics or boats, but I hope the original poster will not mind. I have built it twice and am very happy with form, function, and flexibility for adapting to different boats. I substitute pex-a sleeves instead of pipe insulation to mine for smooth easy on and easy off and no damage to fancy gunwales.

“4 x 4 drilled at 5 degree angle for 1/2" iron pipe, holes spaced 3" apart to allow for different sized canoes. Iron pipe then covered with pipe insulation. 4 x 4 secured with lag bolts.”

Attachments

• 5C04403E-9740-4602-8435-F1EBA550B01B.jpeg
    5C04403E-9740-4602-8435-F1EBA550B01B.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 53
  • C30FB05B-AEDC-4508-854C-A3A0CCC62531.jpeg
    C30FB05B-AEDC-4508-854C-A3A0CCC62531.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 52
  • AAE0FD94-DD41-4636-9CE5-E27D1B97A624.jpeg
    AAE0FD94-DD41-4636-9CE5-E27D1B97A624.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 56
Wall mounted can be done with 2x4s. We did a wall mounted rack in the garage, horizontal boards supported with boards at 45 degrees, screwed directly to the studs, but if going over drywall just run a vertical board and screw/lag bolt it into a stud first as the anchor point.
I have an unfinished garage so I did the same, a horizontal 2 x 4 with a 45 support.

I also made loops of rope hanging from the trusses. On one end I tied on a carabiner so I can cradle the bow in the one loop, lift the canoe straight up and carabiner the stern into place.

@kona I'm thinking of making some free standing cradles like the ones towards the right end of the boat trailer in that third shot. Do you know the length of the feet? For width I'm guessing 30-32" will accommodate most boats, but not sure about foot length for adequate stability.

Not my photos so not sure. I have some a friend built for me. 24” long feet, center posts are about 30” apart, inner to inner (not sure that width is needed and maybe overkill) they work great with all my boats, including a 18.5’ bell Northwoods. Does that answer your question?

Since this thread has risen to the top, I had a quick question. I'm building an outdoor canoe shed which will be open (a simple ramada shelter) this fall so that my canoes will be protected from UV and rain. How high off the ground should the lowest canoe be?

@Mississippi Mud - I guess I'd ask how low can you go and still comfortably lift the canoe off the rack? As long as the boat is off the ground, I think you'll be OK; especially if it has wooden gunwales. That said, if you're alone, nursing a sore back or any number of other issues, you may not be able to get the boat off the rack and get it to where you want it if it's too low to the ground. The lowest canoe on my 3 boat rack is just over 6" off the floor of the barn but it's a lightweight solo so I can still get it easily. If was a larger & heavier tandem, I might have some issues.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Someone at some point on here or Pnet suggested looking for mud splatter and putting the lowest rack above that. Sure enough, we have a canoe temporarily stored outside on upside-down plastic lawn chairs, maybe 8 inches clearance or so. There are mud-splatters on it from rain. I imagine that will be extra wear and tear in the long run, especially on woodwork. Sounds like you'll have a roof, but something to consider if the boats will be close to an overhang without gutters. I would also want enough space to allow ground moisture to dissipate. Again, depends on the size of the roof, how close the boats are to the edge, and what's under the boats (grass, mud, gravel, concrete pad).

Back