• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Canoe plans

Reaction score
I'm wondering, what would be the best all-round 15 foot canoe model out there... Like prospector style, maybe something that can handle a bit of class II-III rivers, but can also be nice on the lake? Any ideas?

I'm thinking building... I just score 3 1x8x 16' clear Sitka spruce boards today at work, and I've been wanting to build a skin on frame canoe for a long time... So I was thinking, a small tandem, that could be soloed....

16' planks will make a 15' 9" canoe without splicing.
I'd start by looking at North West Canoe's site, as Dennis has free downloadable plans that may fit your bill.
Bear Mountain boats also has plans but not free.
Alan Gage, has computer savvy and capability. Just trying to send Alan a little business.

Anyway that's where I'd start.

Great score on the lumber.

Jim

I like the look of the ranger better... Call me old school!!

How about a "Kite" by J Winters? You can study the plans at Greenval.com
I'm very completely with the hull, very versatile. Here's a look at mine...

DSC_4746.JPG

I'll throw in my experience, for what it's worth. Seems to me our friend Canot does mostly river travel, and by the sounds of it, some big, fast rivers. Asymmetrical hulls, like the Freedom and the Kite are great for mixed bag tripping. They are super on flat water, and ok in white water if your objective is to just get through. However, if one likes to play around in the rapids, as some of Canot's pics have shown, those hulls are lacking. Eddy turns with differential rocker can be a little more dicey, and back ferries can also present difficulties. Those narrow entry lines can be wet in big water too.

I think the Ranger sounds like a better fit. Are we taking votes?

I agree with memaquay: if it's mostly river travel-- some big and fast-- I'll take the Ranger too. But for the solo aspect, paddling conditions would surely have to be more sedate-- this Prospector is a full-bodied craft.

I prefer symmetrical canoes in moving water for the reasons you mentioned. Back ferries are noticeably problematic with asymmetrical hulls-- you have to come forward off the seat (s) and unstick the stern stem to enable effective steering. I would add following seas to the list of asymmetrical woes (following seas will steer you from astern just the same as the back ferry).

Last edited:
I do my solo work with a Bear Mountain cottage cruiser. Not exactly ideal but I manage. I have a 14 foot Huron that I am getting around to restoring for a solo that will be much better. The Cruiser is very stable though as it has that wide beam, as a river tripper it is quite adequate. Very similar to the Mattawa that we use for tripping. On bigger water I like a bigger boat. The Ranger, or even my 15 foot Tremblay would be good.

I can't wait for this skin on frame build. I've been out of the building game for a while now, but I'm going to make a skin on frame this summer. Haven't decided whether it will be a solo canoe or a sailboat yet. I got some fabric samples from George Dyson. That 26 oz nylon is awesome. When you get to the point of contemplating coatings I've been doing A LOT of research.

If you're interested in a traditional look and find a design in The Bark Canoes and Skin Boats of North America, I have the ship plans list from the Smithsonian. So if you find a design I can get you the catalog number for ordering the plans.

I still want to make a similar boat to what you're thinking. Class 2-3 skin on frame. I'm thinking aluminum stringers instead of wood, but yes, I want more skin boats here!

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the inputs! Like I said, it will be a skin on frame construction, no strip built. I like symmetrical hull my self. Also, it won't be use for extended trip, at least I don't think so. I do like traditional shape canoes, I'm in no need to get somewhere fast, if that's what I wanted, I would have kept my Crozier. So anyway, we'll see what I will decide on the model, but I think it will be of the prospector style... I like the look of these guys boats... I've asked them to put up some plans, but they never did...http://urbanboatbuilders.org/boats/boats-for-sale/copy-of-wilderness-traveler-new

Hey Muskrat, I didn't think of the The Bark Canoes and Skin Boats of N.A. that is a great idea.. I have it at home...

Are you going to do steam bent ribs or plywood frames? I'm leaning towards ply. Much faster to build and more stable in the long run, but certainly not as pretty or as flexible in the waves. You should be able to easily convert any design to skin on frame. Just throw up the stations and start bending the stringers on. Space them and form them until it pleases your eye and you will naturally end up with faired lines. Don't fight the bend of the wood and it won't hog when you take it off the forms. Also, every time you add chines to a boat you'll lose a little displacement. Just the nature of straight lines vs curves. Something to keep in mind.

Thank you. I really appreciate the info. It won't be tomorrow that I will be starting, but I'm thinking about it. Look lie I will be super busy this summer, Milling for the month of april, building a small timber frame "house" in may... And building my dream shop starting in jun until done late in the fall in between road trip, canoe trips, hunting trips etc etc...
But in the spring, next spring that is, I will try my hand at one!! just looking for info at this point!

Canoetrouge,
​I posted about a skin on frame canoe build I did a couple of years ago. I have a photo journal of sorts. there are a few tricks of the trade I have learned in 12 years of building SOF boats but there are many ways of doing it. Glad to answer any questions as they come up.

Regards,
Dave

Thank you Dave, I'm sure I will come to you when I get started...

Back