• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Canoe Paddler Label Got Me

Reaction score
Did the label of something get you, regardless of the content of the package?

I was making room in the garage fridge for some winter beer and found this straggler left over from the summer. If the beer label is a canoe, a boat, a fish, a tent, etc., I'll buy it...at least once. "Canoe Paddler" by the way, I'd drink again; next summer. Now, it's porter time.

Attachments

• photo10807.jpg
    photo10807.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 1
I don’t think I have ever (knowingly) had a Kolsh-style beer. Certainly not, as suggested on the Leinenkugel site, “Paired with Weisswurst, porcini mushroom ravioli with white wine sauce, delicate white fish with capers and arugula salads”

I am satisfied with a decent Ale, Stout or Porter style beer, not so much Lagers or Pilsners. Paired with foodstuffs I can pronounce.

We don’t see much Linnie here; I yet to see their Creamy Dark or Red Pale Ale locally. Vanilla Porter sounds like a good way to ruin a Porter. I have a beer drinker’s Leinenkugel trigger. A few years ago I stopped to visit a thirsty Florida friend for a few days.

His shop had a large refrigerator stocked with nothing but Leinenkugel Summer Shandy. Maybe InBev has a Linnie brewery in Florida. Or maybe it just didn’t sell in Micanopy; he did mention how cheaply he had picked up several cases.

I’d never seen it before and didn’t realize it was a mix of Weiss beer and freaking lemonade.

I kept opening one, drinking half and thinking “Gluacklkk, something must be wrong with this one too”. If I wanted fruit in my beer I’d pore it in a Margarita glass and add an umbrella.

The taste memory still makes me shudder; I may need to go wash out my mouth with a Victory Hop Devil.

My son was recently stationed at Spangdahlem AB, Germany. What a great location for beer. He nor I cared much for standard German beer, with its "Reinheitsgebot" (purity law) regulation. but he was not far from the Lux and Belgium borders. I was happy to visit. A short trip to any gas station in those countries yielded some of the finest beers in the world. Then we made the visit to Dublin and the Guinness brewery. Oh wow. Guinness in the states is simply a diferrent formula than that which is sold over there.

Whenever I am in any restaurant in the states and the waitress comes over to ask for my drink order, I always start by asking for the beer list, but tell her do not dare utter the word "light" to me in any of them. "if you can see through it in the glass, I don't want it, it is not really beer". I live in Saranac brewery country. they make a wide variety, some of it to please the mild American palate, some is more of my style. But there are other local microbreweries not far away that are excellent too, to include my own and friends basements for home brew ales.

Last edited:
I can usually find American made Guinness draught cans, which are still palatable if explodey when tepid.

Maybe stop and load up with Yuengling Porter or Black & Tan cans in Pennsylvania, where the beer tax is only $0.08 cents a gallon. NOT in Georgia at $1.01 a gallon or Alabama at $1.05.

Not to mention Tennessee at $1.29 a gallon. Hmmm, where is the heart of southern Moonshining?

Heading to Utah? Beer up in Colorado.

https://files.taxfoundation.org/20180524105436/Beer-01.png

Yeah, that’s worth a piece of printer paper to carry along with the maps.

Celebrating a xxth birthday last night the birthday boy was pacing himself, drinking mostly water. He took his hosting duties seriously and was playing it safe. But no matter, we all had a celebratory good time with ample good fare of food and drink balanced on tables and laps throughout their lovely home, family and friends mingling and making the most of a Saturday night. But I was pacing myself too, I had an hour drive at the end of the night. Later on my son whispered "Dad. If you want to ditch that water I've got some really nice beer in the trunk."
https://oasthousebrewers.com/product...nut-brown-ale/
I asked him what it was doing out there in his car when we had a party going on in here. He shrugged and said the beer drinking crowd at this party are stubborn about their old school choices. I could see the old school labels from across the kitchen. I'd glugged a few of those over the years, before I dropped the safe at home ordinary for the boundary pushing extraordinary. But try as I might I couldn't convince him to bring in the 2 growlers of tasty brown ale. He worried how many glasses of good beer would be sipped and poured down the sink, in favour of safe sudsy lite low carb swill. I caught him a minute later bringing in from the chilly back porch a small case of yet more ordinary stuff. "Dad, if my father-in-laws friends are happy then I'm happy. I'll spring something new on them another time, like a BBQ & beer tasting next summer. For now I figured if I stocked up on what they know and like I was playing it safe." Yeah, safe is okay too.

Upon leaving my son asked me if I'd like to take one of those growlers home. I fought the urge to say yes, but instead told him to bring them to our own big bash on the 24th. There'd be plenty of takers then. But boy one of those lovely brown jugs would've been nice on this lazy Sunday afternoon stringing Christmas lights and wrapping presents.

Last edited:
yknpdlr I spent 3 years in Darmstadt Germany and enjoyed my first real beers after years of mass-produced American beer. Since returning my taste has moved north to the beer of the British Isles. I now like the heavier Porters Stouts and Ales. There is one German Alt a “Stickebier”, ​​​​​​​German slang for “secret brew”. 'Long Trail Double Bag was originally offered only in our brewery taproom as a special treat to our visitors. With an alcohol content of 7.2%, please indulge in moderation.' Ya right.

Maybe stop and load up with Yuengling Porter or Black & Tan cans in Pennsylvania, where the beer tax is only $0.08 cents a gallon. NOT in Georgia at $1.01 a gallon or Alabama at $1.05.

Not to mention Tennessee at $1.29 a gallon. Hmmm, where is the heart of southern Moonshining?

Heading to Utah? Beer up in Colorado.

https://files.taxfoundation.org/20180524105436/Beer-01.png

Yeah, that’s worth a piece of printer paper to carry along with the maps.

Somehow, carving a nickel out of my pint seems better than charging $20/boat for registration. The Tax Foundation needs to do a map of the Paddlecraft Tax. Better yet, and online calculator where you enter your # of boats and # of beers and it tells you the burden of living the good life in each state.

Back