• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

​Canoe Designers

I suppose racers can tell all those Jensens apart, but I can't.

I suppose it's like most things. The people who are truly at the top of their game, be it racing, tripping, whitewater, or freestyle, will notice and take advantage of any little hull tweak that gets them what they're looking for. The rest of us convince ourselves that we can tell a difference too.

Alan

I've been studying a photo in #14 (Many thanks Glenn!) It's a colored guy paddling a dugout, he's got a khaki shirt on. Looking at the canoe, the ends have a "peg" carved extension from the log. At first I though it was a nice touch, a decorative sort of thing. Nope! I'll bet you a nickle that what it is really is a place to get a grip and manhandle the canoe when the mass isn't supported by water.
Of course I don't have a clue who that guy is or where but somehow those pegs make a bridge and I can well imagine my hand gripping that peg and rocking the canoe off that sandbar. We are not so far apart after all.

Now you've heard of apples and oranges? Well, this is more like apples and watermelons: On the island where I live we get every summer hordes of bicyclists. Now they have the absolute latest in things two wheeled. Alloys of the strongest, lightest metals, gozillions of gears, uniforms of riotous colored spandex, little slippered footwear and helmets clearly designed in a wind tunnel.
I'm a live and let live sort of person and I'd never even bring these bicycle folks up except they're not happy. I've watched them. They are serious to grim, some are so pressed by the demands of their sport you'd have to see someone on the "rack" to match their expressions. They are on what must be a vacation but where's the joy the delight? All that money spent and it didn't buy happiness.
Now, remember back with me when we first learned to ride a bike. The thing was rusty, no chain guard and often the chain would slip off the gear thing. Balloon tires, one speed only. One rubber handle bar grip, the other was missing.
We had on a saggy T-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes with knotted laces.
But oh my stars! when we first could balance on it, wobbling all the way but still RIDING!! And what a feeling of independence and freedom that simple bike gave us.
I'll bet you had a grin on your face remembering along with me.

I see canoes as pretty much the same. I'm after the grin and if I meet someone who's got the latest whizzbang canoe, popular with the progressive crowd, well, I'll be as kind as I can because he's in a race he can't win.

Best Wishes, Rob

There are certainly some less than ancient to younger guys pushing the envelope of whitewater canoe design. Craig Smerda was principal designer of the Esquif L'Edge which has been a runaway best seller. Jeremy Laucks has single-handedly created Blackfly Canoe and come up with one great design after another, in the space of only a few years. And my friend Mike Bolton designed his "Stinkeye" now being laid up in composite by John Kazimierczyk of Millbrook Boats and rechristened the "Blink".

Pete, cool, thanks.

I guess I wasn’t thinking about new whitewater designs and C1s, although I knew the L’Edge had been well received. I had heard of Blackfly canoes but never looked at them:

http://www.blackflycanoes.com/?page_id=6

Younger designer’s interest in whitewater hulls stands to reason; it seems that manufacturers of WW kayaks introduce new designs every year, and the used boats I see for sale on paddling club classifieds are predominately whatever WW kayak model was hot a few years ago.

Last year’s tripping or touring open canoe will suffice for years, but the competitive or ladder-climbing element in whitewater paddling call for the latest (pun intended) edge.

Much the same occurred in the heyday of American canoe racing.

As for racing, I think this very ancient design could beat the Jensens, then and now. And with the sail unfurled, it was surely a better sailing design than a Mad River Monarch or Sawyer Loon.

9cbbf0_a5b3540ec743755ec0e23bedbd06c54e.jpg_srz_305_300_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

The possibilities for poling this design, both sitting and standing, are not only under-appreciated but a lost art.
BucMate257a%28h280%29.jpg

Finally, the mechanism for portaging this design was clearly more functional and aesthetic than a Cabela's boat cart.

John_LaFarge%2C_La_Farge_John_Girls_Carrying_A_Canoe_Vaiala_In_Samoa.jpg

As for the supposed modern asymmetrical bow and "cab forward" designs, we had a long discussion on Pnet a few years ago about the canoe design and bow heavy solo paddling technique seen so often in the Amazon basin and some other parts of the world.

allpahuayo-mishana-national-reserve-dugout.jpg

amazon_dugout.jpg

ImageGen.ashx

Dugout_Canoe.JPG

canoe-on-the-amazon-river-n11-belem.jpg

3921120266_e795132906.jpg

day2-1-of-4.jpg

Last edited:
Pete, cool, thanks.

I guess I wasn’t thinking about new whitewater designs and C1s, although I knew the L’Edge had been well received. I had heard of Blackfly canoes but never looked at them:

http://www.blackflycanoes.com/?page_id=6

Younger designer’s interest in whitewater hulls stands to reason; it seems that manufacturers of WW kayaks introduce new designs every year, and the used boats I see for sale on paddling club classifieds are predominately whatever WW kayak model was hot a few years ago.

Last year’s tripping or touring open canoe will suffice for years, but the competitive or ladder-climbing element in whitewater paddling call for the latest (pun intended) edge.

Much the same occurred in the heyday of American canoe racing.

Yes, whitewater canoe design has largely been the province of younger people. Jim Henry and John Berry were younger guys when they came up with their downriver and slalom racing designs, as were the great designers that followed including Nolan Whitesell, Frankie Hubbard, Mark Clarke, Dave Paton, John Kasimierczyk, Steve Scarborough and others. Most of these guys turned to boat design not because they wanted to become designers, but because they needed hulls for competition that simply weren't available at the time.

Yes, whitewater canoe design has largely been the province of younger people. Jim Henry and John Berry were younger guys when they came up with their downriver and slalom racing designs, as were the great designers that followed including Nolan Whitesell, Frankie Hubbard, Mark Clarke, Dave Paton, John Kasimierczyk, Steve Scarborough and others. Most of these guys turned to boat design not because they wanted to become designers, but because they needed hulls for competition that simply weren't available at the time.

Pete, that gives me hope that there is a next generation of open canoe designers in the wings for tripping and touring canoes. When those younger guys get old and creaky and stop hair boating perhaps they too will turn their eye to other canoe designs.

Anybody notice that the people on the dugouts were sitting way foreword in their boats? There must be a reason doing that. In the open water they were in it can't be for increased maneuverability. My Osprey FEELS faster that way if I can keep it straight. Thoughts?
Also, I confess to switching to new design boats a lot. For me,I have found improved charistisics in my quest for the perfect flat water solo. Also, boats that compensate for age and health limitations to enable me to continue to paddle where I want.
Turtle

Your Osprey is swede form. They sit far forward for fishing from what I have seen. Also in Belize I saw them jump on and off the dugouts. A dugout isnt swede form.

Dugouts are there because the material is so available. and cause its a fishing and jumping in and out friendly shape. They are used for conch gathering too. Though the other canoes I saw in Belize were kevlar Wenonahs. Racing is becoming popular there and the dugouts don't cut it, literally.

I still have a Sawyer Charger. Huge boat. Installed a Grand Portage yolk from Mad River, adjustable foot braces, a rudder and a drum tight cover. Paddled it out to Isle Royale from Grand Portage, Minn., around the island and return to the mainland. Spooky both directions but the joy of reaching shore - priceless.
Also took the same boat around Big Bend and out of the park on the Rio Grande. That trip I would do again. Also had a TW Special for a while but the Charger was THE boat. Glad to hear a Sawyer admirer still out there

Back