• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

canoe accidents

Reaction score
Its that time of year where we hear of drownings/hypothermia. Just now I read where a canoe was spotted 40 feet from a dock with a dog in it. Apparently, a man went canoeing with his dog and must have fell out of the canoe and drowned. The canoe didnt tip over.

Lets remember, water is cold this time of year. The cold water shock can kill you. Wear a life preserver. Be extra careful these first few outings of the year. You may have forgotten how to paddle over the winter. And remember the weather can change rather quickly this early.

Even if your a professional, dont take it for granted.

I was going to comment that despite Algonquin park receiving close to a million visitors a year, the statistics have shown that there are only one or two deaths per year, over the long term. There was a canoe-related death outside the park yesterday.

April 8, 2017

8-year-old boy dead, Toronto man charged after canoe capsizes near Bracebridge

BRACEBRIDGE, Ont. – Police say an eight-year-old boy has died and a man is facing charges after a canoe capsized in the Muskoka River on Friday.

Ontario Provincial Police say the canoe overturned near High Falls in Bracebridge, Ont., and both people in the canoe – the man and the boy – were thrown into the river.

When officers got to the scene, the man said he didn’t know where the boy was.

OPP say that although the boy was wearing a life-jacket, he had gone over the waterfall.

Emergency crews tried CPR, and took the boy to the hospital, but he later died of his injuries.

Investigators say 37-year-old Toronto man has been charged with impaired operation of a vessel causing death, and care and control over 80 milligrams.

He’s scheduled to appear in a Bracebridge court on May 9.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3365913/boy-8-dies-after-canoe-capsizes-near-bracebridge/

FrozenTripper: Read the same news this morning. I've paddled this exact area many times. In spring flood the falls are very picturesque but also powerful.

There's a generating station tucked away behind the main waterfall so the area is very well marked with large danger signs, orange warning buoys and a clear, easy take out in a large eddy on river left well before the drop.

Going to be hard visiting this scenic spot without thinking about the young boy (my son's age) and this preventable tragedy.

Back