• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Can Asymmetrical Rib/Plank Canoes Be Built?

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not being a builder of anything other than sentences, maybe there's an obvious answer to this. Can rib/plank canoes be built with asymmetrical waterlines, such as a swede-form or fish-form waterline? Or with differential rocker as between bow and stern? Or with a fuller, more flared bow and a more pinched or hollow stern?

If this is possible, do you know of any rib/plank builders who have produced commercial canoe models with one or more of these types of asymmetry?

If this is possible, do you know of any rib/plank builders who have produced commercial canoe models with one or more of these types of asymmetry?

Yes, see the link below for examples and more information about Asa Gallupe who is one of the better known builders of asymmetric wood and canvas canoe hulls. Any wood and canvas boat with a transom is asymmetric and most of the major builders have made these.

Benson

Last edited:
Any wood and canvas boat with a transom is asymmetric

I knew something was obvious but I obviously couldn't remember what when I posted.

You just can’t do a hollow as the canvas would just bridge over that space, think a hollow entry.

Yes, but I deliberately and repeatedly used the term "rib/plank" canoe rather than "wood/canvas" because rib/plank canoes can be covered with Dacron or fiberglass as well as canvas. Dacron (Ceconite) is ironed on and I assume ironing can follow hollows or negative curves, as can fiberglass. What I was more wondering whether ribs can be shaped with negative curvature or both positive and negative ("S-like") curvature.

Sorry I assumed canvas, yes rib and plank can do most any shape you want.
The Dacron however doesn’t adhere, yes you can iron or use a heat gun to shrink it but it doesn’t adhere to the hull. Think of it as light weight canvas that doesn’t rot.
Jim

Back