• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Camping Gear Armoire

Reaction score
I'm certain there are many good ways to organize your camping gear. My organization used to be, for lack of a better term, dispersed. Sleeping bags were in a closet. Tents were on a shelf in the garage, dry bags were stored with the paddling stuff, and so on. It took me way too long to pack for a trip.

A few years ago as flat screen TVs swept large-tube TVs out of the modern home, Craigslist was awash in entertainment armoires offered for resale, and there are still plenty being listed. I bought two. One went into the workshop where today it houses my hand-held power tools. The second was converted to house my camping gear. The armoire sits 3' from an exterior door, 15' from where I can load my truck, and makes it pretty easy to select the gear that's gonna go on a trip and load it up. It still takes me too long to pack, but at least I don't get winded running around the house!

Over the weekend I was preparing to paint the room in which the camping armoire sits. That beast is heavy. It was already heavy before I added a cabinet carcas to the TV compartment. The armoire was equipped with doors that opened and then slid inside the armoire, which were incompatible with mounting shelves and drawers to inner sides of the cabinet. I used 3/4" plywood for the inner carcas, not a light-weight option. I built drawers of half-inch plywood and 3/4" walnut. There's a shelf made from an old section of kitchen counter. The weight adds up, and even empty, the thing is a monster to move.

So, there's one way to tidy up camp gear storage. But if I ever have to move, I might just take a chain saw to it. That thing might hurt somebody.

Armoire - 4.jpg

Tents, tarps and sleeping pad fit in one drawer. Packs and drybags go in another. The open area was intended as a space where sleeping bags could be stored, loosely furled. Looking at it now, five years later, I wish I put a 3/4" square band of walnut over the exposed edges of plywood, something I considered unnecessary "gold plating" at the time.

Armoire - 4.jpg

Camp kitchen and smaller gear go into the smaller drawers and bins underneath.

Armoire - 1.jpg

Good idea and excellent repurposing.

I would need at least 5 more but the good thing would be I won't have to climb into the loft of my barn to get to my gear. Putting six of those up in the loft they'd soon be on the ground floor.

Nice job finding a use for something that's gone out of fashion. I made a couple open shelving units for the spare bedroom and it's much nicer than just having everything tossed on the floor.

Alan

Your storage situation is a lot fancier than mine. Besides a few old chests, most of my soft gear items are stored in plastic bins and even a few garbage cans. At least I know where all my stuff is but none of it is stored as stylishly as your gear!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I use multiple rectangular/plastic storage boxes( varied sizes/bought cheaply at thrift stores).
I also use multiple buckets with sealable lids, and 2 wannigans that I made..
All of the aforementioned are stacked in one corner in my garage, .
Thermarest mattresses stored unrolled, on top of canoes, covered with tarp..
Sleeping bags stored (very loosely) in large, blue, handled buckets, (one per bucket..
Multiple pfds and throw bag hung on ends of canoe racks.
Paddles stored on paddle racks or laid on thwarts in canoes on racks.

That takes care of the vast majority of all canoeing/cooking/camping gear.

Attached photos give fair examples.

BOB

Attachments

• Tacked wanigan.JPG
    Tacked wanigan.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Wanigan with paddles.JPG
    Wanigan with paddles.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Toys 2.jpg
    Toys 2.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 1
Hey Joker, that blue canoe hanging up withthe gold pin stripes looks like one I sold to a friend. Trying to remember the name. Very tipsy for my skills. Sojourn! Forgot the maker. Is that the same one. REal nice looking blue with gold pinstripes. Or maybe not.

I have a huge metal storage cabinet, but it is not big enough and everything still spills out over the floor and in other barrels and boxes. We are going to clear out a 12 x 12 storage shed with a/c (it is Florida...mold) that will hopefully store everything....I like the entertainment idea though.

Back