• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Camping at Home

Reaction score
I have never liked sheets. Depending on the temperatures I sleep mostly with wool blankets on top of an old sleeping bag. Cold nights in the 50s I sleep under an old summer weight sleeping bag unzipped. Really cold nights I sleep in a synthetic bag rated for about 35-40 degrees.

In summer a flannel sheet.
Any one else camp at home?

Our circadian rhythms are not often in synch. Hers and mine are usually anything but harmonious despite a happy marriage. My night owl habits involve the internet, music and books. We used to sleep in winter with windows open under light covers, however these nights it's flannel sheets and a heating blanket. Half the time I'm in the spare bedroom reading and listening, on a wool blanket under a light down blanket with the windows cracked open to the night world happening outside. The other half the time I'm drawn back to the soft warm comfort of flannel, heating blanket and her.

The wood stove sounds and smells like camping.
I sleep out in the trailer in backyard often.
The wall tent is setup and I sleep in there sometimes. The coyotes, owls aand donkeys wake me up.

When you find your tribe, stick around.
Sat I have a date with my girl of 23 years and 3 dogs. We are going to build a fire in the wall tent stove and spend a couple of hours enjoying the quiet.

ppine, I sure do! In fact, I just set up my snow trekker Base Camp tent with stove on our property. Now to be fair, we have 80 wooded acres and I set it up on the back 40. We have had temps around 10 degrees F in the day and below 0 at night. I walk my dogs for a good hour or more humping the hills through the timber then we warm up in the tent, or sleep in it ( I have a cot and wool blankets waiting for us ), then finish the trek home sit by the wood stove. In the summer, we do the same thing, but add a bed roll and hike, camp out.

I never could get used to sleeping bags - so I take blankets. I have tripped with wool blankets as well, they are heavy but one really wet cold trip the wool blanket saved my bacon from hypothermia.

Bob.

I have a Baker tent also Al.. The wood poles are set up in front of the main fireplace we cook on.
Great to see tents up in the snow.

So here is an idea for you intrepid outdoor people if you haven't tried it.
Winter tent party. I like to cook on Dutch Ovens over a fire. I have been doing this for 40 years.
When I was younger winter parties were in January and February. Now I like months with a little more daylight.
I have used wall tents and Baker tents with a stove, and especially tipis with a fire. Sometimes two or more tents.
People still talk about the tipi party from 18 years ago in the freezing fog, the Lewis and Clark party, parties with buckskinners, parties with the mule packers. Nevada Day parties and parties with western music and cowboy poetry. I have had western music recording artist Mike Beck play house concerts at my place twice.

Some people don't get it. They show up in cotton clothes and want to know where they can plug in the crock pot.
Invite your sturdy outdoor friends. They will appreciate it.
I have cooked for 35-50 people a lot of times. But now I like a small group say under 20. Make it pot luck. Provide a couple of main dishes and some special drinks. People can bring salads, appetizers, vegetables and dessert.
I look forward to hearing about other people's winter tent parties.

I always carry a Victorinox Farmer (swiss army knife with a saw) because I like to pretend that I'm camping. My everyday cup is a double-wall titanium mug for the same reason. We have a little fire ring and camping spot a few hundred feet from the house that we use now and then.

Back