• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Buzzacott Combined Tent and Bedding Outfit

Reaction score
The other thread on the traditional Baker tent reminded me of a curious bit of historical canoe gear back when folks where customizing and making their own equipment. This one is from a book, The Complete American and Canadian Sportsman's Encyclopedia of Valuable Instruction (Published 1913) by Francis Henry Buzzacott. Page 59 has a solo shelter developed by the author named the "Buzzacott Combined Tent and Bedding Outfit". It's a custom sewn rig of canvas that can be partially erected to form a lean-to shelter with ground cloth. The unique feature is a mirrored image other half to allow for a full enclosure. All that is needed are some upright poles cut from the bush and your paddle to form a ridge support along with some guy lines. Obviously this sort of shelter never really took off in the commercial market but maybe some folks might get a kick out of at looking at the gear of the past...I certainly do.

completeamerican00buzz_0083.jpg

Source Link: http://archive.org/stream/completeamerican00buzz#page/58/mode/2up

That looks like a precursor to the modern bivy sack. Seems a bit complicated, at least more so than a tarp shelter. I love these types of finds though. Thanks for the post.

Daniel

Back