• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Old-school pack cloth portage roll method?

'mostly used by big strong guys...'

The last picture show the right way of using them tumpline!! And I think that is the problem with newbies to the tumpline, is the misuse of it putting it to much towards the front of the head!!

I saw some truly astounding loads being carried in Nepal on steep trails at relatively high altitude where I was struggling with just my pack, I'd see people with 4 or 5 full sheets of plywood tied up and tumping them along.

Murat,

I read your post about using a painters tarp. I have tripped for years in the fall and winter with just a 9x9 sheet of canvas or at times a 7x4 sheet and a good wool blanket. I can give you ideas (should you want them) for shelters using traditional as well as non traditional water proofing for your canvas. I have also used good stout bed sheets as well, lighter but a bit more fragile. I love using traditional bed rolls in the back country. If interested pm me or send me an email.

Bob.

Tump_lion: Thanks for posting the "Chesnut Grey" formula and your experiences.

Bob B: Pm sent

Here's what color I started with,

but we (Schuyler Thomson) mixed it with white* and the final product was close to the original Chestnut Grey

I have a qt mixed and a quart unmixed, so I might end up with a few canoes this color. If I find another Chestnut Garry I will paint it the same as above.
Wish I never sold that canoe!:(

* or maybe grey, I can find out if anyone's interested

Last edited:
Murat - My 10'x10' oilcloth came from the fine folks at Tentsmiths in NH but if you're willing to do a bit of sewing you might be able to make one a bit cheaper. If you check out the company Crazy Crow, look at their oilcloth material. It's called "Spanish Brown Oil Cloth" in their catalog and the number for it is: 5562-003-175 (that's in their current sale catalog that is good through Oct. 31st). The material is 10 oz. and 60" wide. Currently it's going for $12.70 per yard (regular cost is $14.95). I'm not sure if that makes this worthwhile for you but thought you should know. I'll let you take it from here.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Murat, email sent. I can also second the oilcloth as Snapper mentioned - good stuff, a bit heavy, but real good material.

Bob.

Murat, that setup looks great with the canoe. I love camping with a bed roll. I have a more modern system with a bivy and big Agnes sleeping bag with a thermarest in the built in pocket. I usually roll it all up in my tarp in a similar fashion. I'll have to try out the tump with it too.

Bob, I'd love to hear how you waterproof your canvas or fabric too. I have trouble dropping money on a real nice lightweight tarp, but I hate the flapping in the wind noise poly tarps constantly make.

I'm with Muskrat, I would love to learn how to waterproof fabric Bob... Maybe a DIY thread?

thx Murat -- we met once, i picked up some paddle blanks from you off of kijijijijiji a few years back...love yr blog!

for the record, the chestnut colour-swatch isn't mine, came from some other chestnut canoe forum a while back...i'd give credit if i knew where

If I get a chance this weekend I will post some pics of bed roll options with different types of materials and water proofing ideas. I will say none are good for a severe dunking in the lake, but are more than adequate for keeping the blanket dry in a down pour both when rolled up and traveling, or while sleeping in them.

In fact I was playing around with an oil cloth form Tentsmiths last night, 7'x81/2'. with a good blanket, it rolls up real nice and is reasonably light - I really like it. I will try to post some pics of this as well.

Bob.

interested in the sheets for shelter idea -- i toy with a high-thread-count 'egyptian' cotton sheet...as an in-between for my nylon and my canvas whelen tents...

did a couple of my canvas packs with a BLO/turps/Beeswax combo -- hasn't caught fire yet..

tump_lion

I sent you a pm.

P.S.

I have a hemp bag that has been treated with bees wax and is very dry even if laying in a puddle in the bottom of the canoe for a spell. It works awesome.

Bob.

I made a winter tent from EC bed sheets. I added false seams to reinforce the flat panels. It works fine for deep winter though not waterproof. Not very abrasion resistant though.

If you are looking for oilcloth take a look at Fairfield Textiles. I believe they make fabric that Filson uses and have some lighter weight tight weave cotton in both treated and untreated state. For those in Canada, Mitchell Textiles sells a very tight weave, windproof 5 oz cotton ticking for that I plan on using for making a larger tent with and maybe a Whelan lean to. They are not easy to deal with over the phone though, so if anyone wants some I can help sort that out. As soon as I work out how much I need I'll know if I have some spare off the 25m roll that I bought.

Back