• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

buying used

Well, I ordered a brand new canoe. And I ordered a 3-ply poly plastic canoe. Thats right, poly!!!! Not a royalex. Not a kevlar. Nor a wooden. An 85 pound plastic canoe. Now, with the money I saved by not buying a more expensive canoe, I can join a fitness center so I'll be able to lift the dang thing..........lol.

thanks

Meopilite, congratulations on your new acquisition. Keep us informed how your canoeing hobby progresses -- assuming H2O ever returns to liquid form in the upper midwestern USA.

Back to asking questions about legal subjects.

Sure, one can ask them here. Sure, one can and will get responses. The question is how reliable and accurate will those responses be, and how wise is it to rely on those responses from anonymous individuals when there are more authoritative sources available. I have three law degrees and have been licensed in four states, and can tell you that the answers to many legal questions are not only highly fact-dependent but will vary from state to state. Some of the responses in this thread and in the tax thread, for example, are simply wrong in many jurisdictions.

To put this in context, let's move to subject areas where the membership here is authoritative: canoeing. Is there ever agreement? A right answer?

For example, the following questions are asked on canoe forums thousands of times every year, and pretty much receive the following types of answers from us canoeing authorities:

What's the best canoe for me to buy? ----> mass cacophony

What's the best type of paddle? ------> flat out contradictions

What's necessary to bring on a canoe trip? ------> war

Given this state of canoeing advice chaos, is it really wise to rely on us for help with one's legal, medical or love life? (The answers to this question, too, are likely to be ... uh ... rich in diversity.)

Last edited:
Yes, but that is exactly why the questions are asked. It is interesting to get a variety of opinions or in the case of legal, medical or other questions, to hear people's varied experiences. That makes a forum a forum. Also something about learn from other's mistakes comes to mind.
Just my opinion.

I'm glad you finally pulled the trigger. Which canoe did you get? My Old Town Kineo, which came in around 87 pounds had a funny setting for the carrying yoke. It was placed about three inches too far forward, which always made the stern drag down when carrying. This might not have been a problem on a lighter canoe, but my preference if for it to balance neutral when I carry it. You'll know what I mean as soon as you pick it up and put it on your shoulders. If it feels right, good enough, don't play with anything. If it feels awkward, it's easy to drill hoes in those poly gunwales.

Have fun!

I hope you got a red one, they're faster of course. I'm old so I go with green, it's easier to keep green ones under control.

Back