• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Building a Square Stern ?

Robin...there is a resored Pete on kijiji Winnipeg for around 2500, and a 14 foot Northland that has been cut down from a double ender and flatbacked in Welland ON on Kijij also...a few more kicking around on the Ontario kijiji lists.

Go ahead and lop the end off that Old Town...nobody will want the beast anyway. I have been giving some consideration to a similar sort of project myself...being old and decrepit now. I may stick with a double ender and a side mount though....how the heck would I paddle a y stern canadian style anyway?

Christy

Robin I have no doubt your in good hands !
I don't know if I've ever seen 3,000 canoes in the State of Iowa ! Ha !
Thanks for the clarification !

Jim

Hi Jim,
Last night as I lay in bed I was thinking about what I said about Schuyler. I think it's closer to 1100plus in 30 years, not 3000 like I said. And that's pretty much a two man shop, sometimes 3. Not sure where I got the 3K number, but it's way overboard. When we where in his shop earlier this week he had 4 canoes in the main shop and six in the paint room in various stages of filler and paint. The racks out back of the shop are full with canoes waiting their turn. Lots of work for a 68 yo and no wonder he drivers a brand new Volvo wagon.

Anyway I'm still on the fence about the canoe, Thanks all for the input. The canvas is very good on this canoe and I'm not sure if it can be saved if I try to make it a flat backed canoe, so a new canvas, filler and paint could be a game changer. I need to find a motor and give the side mount a try.

Still a man with experience ! I'd learn a lot from him !!!

I'd be in favor of a side mount also.
I had an old wood canvas, folding rowboat, that I gave away. It was green, and I was told it was a military item. Anyway, it had a side mount, that I kept.
So a side mount, is nothing new, that's for sure !

Jim

Thanks to Mike for posting the Sawyer site from the past. Note the Charger, my all-time favorite canoe.

The Safari has that nice small transom for a small outboard. Note the size of the keel at the stern.

As a practical matter, one has to hold on to a tiller for long periods of time in a freighter with an outboard. Putting the motor over the keel line of the boat, makes it very awkward if you are trying to face forward and see where you are going. A motor mount puts the motor over on the side and is much more comfortable. I had this issue with a driftboat that I used with an outboard on lakes. Robin, I would make sure to go run an outboard on someone else' s boat before messing up a perfectly good Guide model.

Back