• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Bog River Flow, Lows Lake 9/23-9/27/2014

There is nothing like paddling with a new sweetheart. You have skill as a photographer. Forget about the self-induced "pressure". All we need to do is look at your photographs and realize what a wonderful experience you had. You are to be congratulated. Next time out and there should be many more with a lady like that one, try to develop some more confidence. That is the only thing missing. You have good equipment, good food, good people. Next comes the right and confident outlook and you will have the whole package.

Thank you for the compliments. I did have a great time. I am much more confident after completing my first trip. Thankfully, it went smoothly so all I can do is look forward to the next trip.

For those of you not from NY, be assured that Lows is a beautiful place. The pictures are great, but reality is much nicer.

We stayed at the same site on Hitchens earlier this summer. I posted the faint full super moon picture before, but of course we don't have a great camera, so it's not that good:

1620462_712224898844640_2292229082281646789_n.jpg

That's looking at about the same angle where your Sweetheart next to the tent picture is looking.

There was a jar there with a log, I'm not sure if you found it but I know my wife wrote something in there. It would have been dated August 10th or 11th.

<Snip>

Anyway, great trip. Hope to see many more, and maybe our paths with cross... although it's unlikely. I've never seen anyone from the forum out and about... it's a big park!

That's neat, I didn't realize it was the same campsite. I didn't find a jar but I can't really say I looked either.

The weather was really great and the leaves were popping. We are fortunate to be so close to the park.

I can't make the meet either but I'm sure one day we both will. I almost ran into daveo4 on the bog river flow - we were only off by an hour.

Hanz & MS,

You're photographs are absolutely remarkable. What a keen eye! I can't stop looking at them, they make me want to get out there and trip the area myself.

I feel so bad your dehydrated chicken didn't work out. May I offer a couple tips for next time?

At home if you cut the cooked chicken into very small pieces before dehydrating, in camp presoak in water before cooking, and then let it steep for at least 10 minutes in a cozy (we made a pot cozy with reflective ducting insulation (you can buy them too)) after cooking it, the hardness of the dehydrated meat should be totally gone.

After this beautiful trip, are you hooked on tripping too?

Thank you for the kind words - I do like to snap photos. It's nice to hear people enjoy them.

I'll take all the tips you have. Maybe we just didn't give it enough time? Who knows? We are going to play around with some camp recipes here at home before heading out next time.

Absolutely hooked and sorry that winter is so close.

That's neat, I didn't realize it was the same campsite. I didn't find a jar but I can't really say I looked either.

The weather was really great and the leaves were popping. We are fortunate to be so close to the park.

I can't make the meet either but I'm sure one day we both will. I almost ran into daveo4 on the bog river flow - we were only off by an hour.

I didn't take any better ones but that shot is looking right out between the two trees your Sweetie is standing between. I bet that jar got picked up by a ranger.

This was the only other shot I took of that site (I think it was #5) but it doesn't identify it well. We had a heck of a time finding a good spot to hang the hammock:

P8090058.JPG

Hanz,
Glad to hear the rest of the trip turned out just as well as the start. You really did hit the trifecta of fall colors, warm weather and low winds.
35 miles is a pretty decent distance for a first time trip, did you know you would log that many miles?
BTW, that bog jam on the way in used to be jammed in a slightly different spot and the clearest route was on the right side going upstream.
And did you notice the huge floating island on your way to Bog Lake? It's fairly well locked in place now, but it too moved around for a while.

So, what's next? Some pond hopping in St Regis? Maybe the Whitney loop? Or a upper Hudson through trip?
I think of these trips in thirds...the first 1/3 is the planning and preparation, next 1/3 is the actual trip, and the last 1/3 when you get home and review your photos and notes.

Oh, and I do have to compliment you on your great photos!! Truly outstanding!

Doug, great trip report. I'm not surprised that you picked up some trash along the way with MS, she might have killed you if you didn't. One of the goals on my bucket list is to pick up more trash then she does on a river cleanup. It's a goal I doubt I'll ever accomplish. Do you think the next time I see her if I refer to her as MS she'll kick my butt?

Hanz,
Glad to hear the rest of the trip turned out just as well as the start. You really did hit the trifecta of fall colors, warm weather and low winds.
35 miles is a pretty decent distance for a first time trip, did you know you would log that many miles?
BTW, that bog jam on the way in used to be jammed in a slightly different spot and the clearest route was on the right side going upstream.
And did you notice the huge floating island on your way to Bog Lake? It's fairly well locked in place now, but it too moved around for a while.

So, what's next? Some pond hopping in St Regis? Maybe the Whitney loop? Or a upper Hudson through trip?
I think of these trips in thirds...the first 1/3 is the planning and preparation, next 1/3 is the actual trip, and the last 1/3 when you get home and review your photos and notes.

Oh, and I do have to compliment you on your great photos!! Truly outstanding!

Thanks for the compliment.

I didn't know how much paddling we'd do exactly I left an open agenda. Our itinerary was paddle in camp one night, hike up Hitchens Ridge then move to another site deeper on the Lake and then day trip from there. It was very open. I felt it was a good distance but wished we had seen more but that wouldn't have left time for the one hammock nap I got. After all, it was a vacation.

Next on my wish list? I'd like to go solo. Probably alternate between solo and tandem tripping. I do want to do the Allagash River (I want to photograph moose) and the BWCA is on my list for sure. I will be back to The Park for certain - where and when is up in the air. I went in the fall to miss the bugs and the people. I am grateful that it worked.

Doug, great trip report. I'm not surprised that you picked up some trash along the way with MS, she might have killed you if you didn't. One of the goals on my bucket list is to pick up more trash then she does on a river cleanup. It's a goal I doubt I'll ever accomplish. Do you think the next time I see her if I refer to her as MS she'll kick my butt?

MS = My Sweetheart (I used Stripperguy's form here) I'd be curious to see her reaction.

Yes - garbage pick up will always be on the agenda and I doubt you'll ever beat her.

MS is the reigning garbage gathering champion in our local paddler's club's river cleanups.

Thanks again for the pre-Trip tips, Ray. We appreciate it.

Wonderful photos and trip report. You're lucky to find someone you care so much for who is willing to share the adventure with you. Your photos truly do the area justice. Thanks for sharing it all with us.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

There is a backwater just SW of Hitchins Pond, kind of behind site #8. In that backwater are a couple of old cisterns (?) that are slowly being absorbed back into the earth. It's all very Myst like and worth a few minutes detour to take a look...
If you look very carefully at satellite images, you'll find them.

5-03_19.jpg

History shows that Gus Low was quite an active inventor and businessman in his day. The cisterns, one wood and one steel, are in a shallow spring fed pond. The water in the pond is extremely crystal clear and cold. Gus was way ahead of his time. He was among the first to bottle and sell pure water, exporting the stuff to city folk. He developed uniquely square bottles, for more efficient packing and shipping.
LowsCis1.jpg
LowsCis2.jpg
LowsCis3.jpg

I'm trying to remember which year was it when I took that photo.
The wooden cistern doesn't look any different than yknpdlr's...I think mine was from 2001 or so. When was your's?

it seems that yknpdlr and I have been to many of the same places, maybe at similar times. I think I'm a few minutes younger, though...

Oh, I've been there many multiple times. These photos are during an 8-day BSA National Camp School Trek Leader certification course (the Voyageur Program), that I have been instructing annually at Lows since 1991. These photos are from 2010. The students shown here are getting some Adirondack background history they can use to impress when guiding their treks. :cool:

wow! I had no idea these cisterns existed. I have never been back in that pond, always went to the carry at the dam. I'll have to do some exploring there next time I get in there. Thanks for posting that photo.
Dave

Back