• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Big discounts on cameras et al. on greentoe.com

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We talk about cameras for paddling and tripping, so I thought I'd post my very favorable experience with a new and unique buying site, greentoe.com, through which I got 20% off the lowest internet price on a new model camera.

It's sort of like Priceline, but it handles cameras, electronics, appliances, musical instruments and baby products. You post an offer price for the product you want, and it is sent out to a network of retailers, who may accept your offer on a first come basis.

If your offer is accepted there's no tax, no shipping charge, and you have a guaranteed minimum two week return period. Products are guaranteed to be new.

I've been after a new model Nikon camera (the P7800) for two months, but the price hasn't budged more than $2 off the retail of $549 anywhere.

I first posted a lowball offer of $385 (30% off) for a five day period. No acceptances the first day. On the second day greentoe emailed me, trying to mediate, saying my price is too low but it would probably be accepted almost instantly if I raised it to $490. I refused, and the offer expired with no acceptances.

I then placed a new offer of $460. That, plus a $20 first time buyer coupon from greentoe, would give me a $440 price (20% off). This offer was accepted within 35 minutes by Unique Photo in New Jersey, and the camera was delivered by UPS to my house 18 hours later. Brand new, full US warranty.

The $20 coupon rebate is supposed to arrive from greentoe within two weeks after the return period, as a check or deposit into PayPal. We'll see if that happens.

I have the feeling that I could have squeezed another $10 off the price.

http://www.greentoe.com/

Thanks for the information, I dropped my little Sony Cyber Shot camera and the screen on the back is i/2 black. I had bought extra batteries and I kinda liked the camera, easy to use and the videos are ok, so I was looking at used Cyber Shots on eBay. This might be just what I need, good find and with a thumbs up by you Glenn, very much worth a try.

Glad to see our eagle eye shopper is back...I am looking for a particular lens...eek.. I need every % I can get.

I made an offer on a Go Pro Hero 3 silver edition and although my offer was too low, I tried a new offer closer to their counter offer.
I'm getting antsy and might just cave into their counter offer.
All in all, big savings, Thanks for the link Glenn.

I talked to someone at Unique Photo who handles the greentoe offers. She told me that they have a set "trigger" number in the computer for each product. If the customer offer is below the trigger number, they don't even see the offer. If the offer is over the trigger point they get it and will accept it within 24 hours. Therefore, I don't think it's worth posting an offer for more than two days.

I also think the "mediating" by greentoe to me by email was an attempt to get me to agree to a price higher than Unique Photo's actual trigger number. That would have given Greentoe a bigger cut. Andrew at greentoe suggested I offer $490 and I got it for $460 in 35 minutes at an effective 17.5% discount off Unique's internet price.

I'd try an offer 20% below the lowest price at B&H or Amazon for the camera you are after. If that doesn't work, I'd try 18%.

I got the camera for $239.00, which was $10 under the best offer Greentoe said I could get, and the best new one I could find was $300, great deal, Thanks again Glenn.

I got the camera for $239.00, which was $10 under the best offer Greentoe said I could get, and the best new one I could find was $300, great deal, Thanks again Glenn.

You're welcome, Robin. Just curious and for when I talk to other people about this, what camera dealer did you end up with?

Hi Glenn, Unique Photo, Fairfield, NJ is the group that accepted my offer, same as you I think. I was sent an email with "tracking" for UPS and it said delivery today...well, my UPS guy is a hard worker and a good guy, but it is now put off to Monday...gonna be a long weekend!
In the mean time, I'm watching youtube videos on setting the camera up and how to make interesting movies....who said retirement is boring?

Got a hero 3+ in black for $290. Hugh savings. Now to figure out how to use it. Thanks, Glenn. Cronje

Back