• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Big Canoes

Reaction score
Who else is in favor of large canoe for tandem tripping? I find that they provide not only space but a sense of security on large lakes and rivers. Here are some photos of my new Nova Craft 18' Prospector in the tuff stuff lay up.

Last edited:
The bigger the better when it comes to long trips with big lakes and/or a lot of rapids. For many years the Old Town 17' Tripper was king. When one is young portaging that 76 lbs craft was doable but not any more. Now I own a NC 17 Prospector in Blue Steel at 54 lbs and I find that heavy. Nice to see Nova Craft still makes those expedition boats.

Gerald

I have always liked long, big, old, canvas, canoes. They are such a pleasure to paddle, because they have, "glide". Many of these, so called solo boats, neglect the increased length of the waterline. Yeah, I know that age will catch up with me in about 1 year, and the portage will necessitate a change, but there is no sweeter pleasure (maybe not) than paddling a nice long wood and canvas canoe.

Last edited:
I'm a big boat fan too, and that nc 18 prospector looks like a good boat to have. Back East I have 2 16' foot OT wc boats and they would be maxed out with two people with a lot of gear. I will be picking up an 18' OT guide next month and look forward to that.

No Title

photo2278.jpg photo2278.jpg photo7945.jpg attach71371.jpg Voyageur canoes.

1. 32 foot cedar strip duing the Adirondack 90 mile canoe race
2. 34 foot carbon fiber at Eagle AK during the 1000 mile canoe race.

great boats on the water -- that extra foot or two can make a huge difference on the portage tho -- but great on the water -- i've been lusting after the lines of the EM White guide shapes....

Someone should play devil's advocate and talk about all the places they and their 3 St Bernards have gone in their OT Pack ... but it won't be me.

18' seems big until you have one, and then you think why doesn't everyone have one? When I bought mine I thought I would only use it for heavy trips, but I use it all the time, it does everything but solo. It's nice to be able to take four adults out for a day trip, when maybe two of the four are friends from out of town who don't (yet) know how to paddle.

Mine is a Wenonah Champlain in royalex, 75lbs. Not an easy carry, but doable.

The is a new 20' Island falls boat listed over at wcha that is 20 minutes from my place in Pa. I think it might be a EM White design. I'd like to go look at it but the price is right between that of a bridge and a dental implant which unlike the boat is something I need but don't want.

Souris River canoes - no 20's in their lineup but - 17.5'Prospector, Wilderness 18' and the Quetico 18.5' - all under 50 lbs! Owned a Wilderness for years and regularly tripped for 10-14 days with my wife and 2 Golden Retrievers, tough boats carry good loads and won't kill ya on the ports! Eventually went down to the SR 16' Trailhead Prospector (39 lbs :cool:) when one of the dogs passed.

We had an 18 foot Jensen and that boat took us a lot of places. Very fast and stable. Should have kept that one. We also borrowed a 17 ft kevlar jobby from Mem, the name of which escapes me, and while it was a pig in the wind it handled a rough crossing on Marshall extremely well. With Mem and Robin in their 15 foot chums and jacks specials, I lovingly referred to our ride as the party barge. Wenonah Spirit 2 I believe it was.

We have a 17 foot Penobscott wood canvas here that is crying out to be restored and put back to use.

Talking with the wood canvas builder John Kilbridge last week out front of his shop naturally led to comparisons. He mentioned how he was getting into trimming out another "plastic" builder's hulls. I didn't have time to run up to Smoothwater Outfitting to see them, but will next time. Anyhoo I admitted to being a small guy who's strong man days were behind him; that's why I paddle this (pointing to the kevlar 16' on my vehicle) when I'd really like to paddle that (pointing to the Temagami 16' in his shop). John said he's seeing more folks like me these days, that's why he's branching off into the wood trimmed plastic market, but staying the wood canvas course as well. He said he'd built a 17'er recently for an older customer who insisted it be no shorter than 17'. John warned him "It's gonna be about 80 pounds. Are you sure you want something that big?" The customer replied the canoe would spend it's days on the cottage dock or in the water. And he'd never need worry about the kids and g'kids in that canoe on the water. Solid and stable. Paddle it empty or paddle it full, it'll be just fine he said. Yeah, I'll agree with that.
I remember that party barge fondly. All that was missing was a string of patio lanterns and a case of beer. But I think we left all that back at the Geraldton base camp. lol. Now that was a party.

For camping on a trip with big rivers and big lakes, I absolutely would always choose my 18 foot Wenonah Sundowner. My 16' MR Explorer just won't fit all the gear Mrs. Riverstrider wants to take AND the dog (both non-negotiable, lol). But we certainly had a time of it on a narrow windy local river trying to dodge the sweepers in current...that boat does not want to turn. If we ever take a trip on a river that has rapids requiring some maneuvering, some tough choices will be made. The dog or the beer? The cooler half full of veggies and ice or the bucket full of dehydrated? The boat we have or a new, bigger, better, lighter canoe? These are the questions that try a man's soul.

-rs

We've had big canoes since 1991. Some of the places the Odyssey and the Wilderness 18 have been:
Buffalo
Green
Missouri
Lake Superior
Wabakimi
Algonquin
French River
Allagash. Yes. All of it in Kevlar
Plus a lot of places I forget. Never minded the size and they both maneuver well in tame whitewater
When you have to drag a toilet and a fire pan and wet dog the extra size is a plus

No Title

I'm a big fan of the 18 1/2' and 20' EM Whites (have 3 of them). They float on a heavy dew and are a dream to pole. The 20's a bit of a bear on the portage. First 2 pics are of the 2, 20's, and the blue one is an 18 1/2.
Dave

Attachments

• photo7962.jpg
    photo7962.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 3
  • photo7963.jpg
    photo7963.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo7964.jpg
    photo7964.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 3
That 18' Prospector sure is nice. If I had room to store one, it would be high on my list. 16.5' seems to be my limit.

Back