• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Best "tea bag" coffee?

Reaction score
I have stubbornly insisted on making coffee from grounds using a press when camping. But I am getting tired of the nuisance of cleaning out the press and having to carry the messy grounds with me if I am not base camping. So I am going to give the ground coffee that comes in tea bags a chance, especially on down river trips or mornings where time is pressing.

For those who have gone this route, do you have a favorite brand or brands? It would have to be at least approximately as good as coffee pressed or dripped through fresh ground coffee.

1648216570363.png

I have tried a couple of different pour over types vs tea bag types. Haven't found one I really like but I found just the bags for sale so I'm going to try that with my own choice of coffee. I also use a Stanley french press thermos often.

I always grind beans just before my trips and fill these cheap bags on Amazon- no issues. I typically use this style of brewing when on a paddling break or if I'm trying to get going early. It does make clean up easy. My advice is to try it a few times at home to see how much per bag and what grind works best for you. My first ones were way too weak.

1648219386863.png
https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-D...9KPKWFC/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B079KPKWFC&psc=1

I fill my own bags like C&B does but I buy the bags locally as there are a few tea shops nearby that sell them.

I use a percolator where I am allowed fires (uses too much gas to simmer on the pocket rocket) and toss in 2 bags per pot.

I use the bags so I don't have to deal with disposing of coffee grounds... It's much easier to pack them out than loose grounds. I have to wonder if the bags wouldn't work similarly in your press to make clean up & disposal less irksome.

I always grind beans just before my trips and fill these cheap bags on Amazon- no issues. I typically use this style of brewing when on a paddling break or if I'm trying to get going early. It does make clean up easy. My advice is to try it a few times at home to see how much per bag and what grind works best for you. My first ones were way too weak.

View attachment 130070
https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-D...9KPKWFC/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B079KPKWFC&psc=1
I had not been aware of those DIY tea bags. I will probably give them a try. What size would you recommend to brew a large mug (10-12 fluid ounces) of coffee? Is the draw string closure pretty effective at retaining all of the grounds?

I had not been aware of those DIY tea bags. I will probably give them a try. What size would you recommend to brew a large mug (10-12 fluid ounces) of coffee? Is the draw string closure pretty effective at retaining all of the grounds?
I’m probably not the best judge as I like it pretty strong. I buy the 6x8cm bags and fill them full. I use two to brew double what you mentioned- I have a coffee issue… No problem with the string ties with a couple overhand knots.

At work they buy pre-measured Folgers in between two filters that are glued together I take them and on the Singer sew a row of stitching around the perimeter ,throw em in the old gallon can and simmer . great camp coffee , no grounds !

Folgers makes both regular (caffeinated) and decaffeinated ‘teabags’ that I have been using for many years. I like them-they’re packaged in some sort of air and waterproof individual packages that keeps the coffee fresh until you open the individual package. They don’t take up much space and it tastes like a regular cup of coffee. When I’m done, they just go into my quart ziploc garbage bag. I also have the choice about having a cup of decaf at night without worrying about getting to sleep.

I believe the decaf bags are only available by mail-order now. The regular bags are available in local supermarkets.F0AE8A26-2C5F-4623-8D89-83A78C3806A4.jpeg

Skip

I used to trip with a guy who used the Folgers bags, I'm a teetotaller but I asked and he claimed they were "pretty good" whatever that means.

Camp coffee is 1,000 year old. Put some roasted coffee beans in a bandana and pound them with a rock. Put the crunched beans in any vessel with water on a fire. Let it get to a boil, then reduce the heat. Right before serving put some cold water in carefully to settle the grounds. That mister is how to make a good cup of coffee.

Nescafé sells little packets of coffee, with sugar and cream. Almost tastes like a double double from Tim’s. The kuerig pods for coffee with cream and sugar can be used in a hot cup of water. Just open the pod and pour in your cup, add hot water, stir and enjoy. Yes its instant coffee with powdered milk, but mixed perfectly.
All options above are all excellent choices. Sit back and enjoy your coffee.

If you are going to drink coffee, make coffee. If you want tasteless brown water then that’s just you and your idea of what it should be. According to some tea bag tea is not really tea either. Each to their own taste. Not many of us are going to change our ways.
I have found that the Via instant packet of coffee, mixed with packet Swiss Miss hot chocolate, is a very acceptable way to consume instant coffee.

If you are going to drink coffee, make coffee. If you want tasteless brown water then that’s just you and your idea of what it should be. According to some tea bag tea is not really tea either. Each to their own taste. Not many of us are going to change our ways.
I have found that the Via instant packet of coffee, mixed with packet Swiss Miss hot chocolate, is a very acceptable way to consume instant coffee.
I once regularly drank "coffee" from those coffee trucks (we called them) that frequented construction sites selling that and other horrible stuff. Little did I know it wasn't real coffee. My Italian boss eventually rescued me with real caffè from various on the job Italian home cucinas. Okay, wow. So started my gradual education towards coffee snobbery heaven, sometimes purgatory. This pursuit of good coffee has followed M and I into our canoe tripping lives. I wish it didn't but it has. Some mornings I'd kill for just a cuppa muddy water and call it good enough, but can't. I've been condemned to a life of servitude, worshiping the cappuccino and espresso spirits. Speaking of which, a little hit of Scotch goes well in the morning cup, but as always it's got to be real coffee.
Speaking of hot chocolates, it's an acquired taste I haven't taken to. My wife certainly has, and is now in that "higher hot chocolate bracket" I am glad not to be a part of. To each their own I know. We have a sil who refuses all things coffee related. Poor kid, and yet, there are days I almost envy him and his delusion. But not first thing in the morning.

I am down right snobby about coffee at home. Conical burr grinder and other fancy apparatus. I also drink it black. I find the bags with newly ground beans highly acceptable with little clean up. I enjoy cowboy, press, pour over, percolator, etc. if done well, but rarely want to clean it up in camp and pack out loose used grounds. I know some just wash the grounds out in the lake/river or toss it in the bushes and consider it composting. I’m not saying anyone here does that or if they do it’s wrong, but not my style. I try and balance decent real food/drink and minimum clean up and garbage. I have tried different types of instant and I just can’t do it. Different tastes and opinions- none of them wrong.

Bob

My wife likes the Folgers coffee bags when we are traveling. I’m a tea drinker myself, so teabags for me.

So, to poke a bit, what is worse? Some coffee grounds dug into the ground from a good cup of coffee or countless bags, k-cups, plastic wrappers, bags and jars, pre-mixed Asian sourced milk products carried home and sent to the landfill?

Well, this topic seems to have drifted off the original narrow topic of "tea bags" of coffee, but I think Folgers has been the only commercially available product named, so I'll drift off too.

I'm not often a coffee drinker and never on canoe trips, but how about single packets of "the world's strongest instant coffee"—Death Wish Coffee. "Formulated in 2018 for NASA, this is the very recipe that astronauts drank at the International Space Station." 20% off coupons available and also sold at Amazon.

how about single packets of "the world's strongest instant coffee"—Death Wish Coffee.
My initial impression: One more in a long line of "more is better" products ( the entirety of their description is stressing max caffeine content and they never even mention taste or drinkability... I'm left to assume it may very well taste like rocket fuel).

Besides, at almost $2 a cup, I feel like I should be able to claim them as dependents on my taxes.

I'll continue filling my tea bags with the same stuff that I use at home.

Not trying to stray off topic. OP was getting a good cup of coffee with press but found cleaning and transporting spent grounds inconvenient in some situations.
I just noticed that some of the options presented generated more waste from packaging (as well as resource consumption in initial production, transport, fats and oils in pre-mixeds etc.) that would have to be dealt with somewhere in the life of the product - garbage packed out goes to landfill.
Why the concern to pack out coffee grounds? Most of us manage our excrement with cat holes scratched into the duff or thunder boxes. Cannot grounds go into these holes or into the fire pit with little to no remorse?

For those who need/want coffee on the run, at the shore etc. without much clean up the question is valid and looks like some good options presented.

Cannot grounds go into these holes or into the fire pit with little to no remorse?
Personally, I pack out my grounds but don't find that to be a hardship. As for onsite disposal... maybe in a cat hole of their own but I'd keep them out of the firepit or thunderbox. IMO that unnecessarily increases the chances that Yogi and Booboo might feel compelled to investigate the smell.

Back