• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

Bear Grease

Reaction score
I got a bear on Sunday night and in the spirit of utilizing as much as the bear has to offer besides tasty meat, I have rendered down the majority of the fat. I use this on my moccasins and mukluks, as well as my leather work boots, I use it to keep my guns oiled as well. I know it has many uses even as a food source and if there are any FN around I understand it used in medicines too.

If anybody is interested in a small jar I would be willing to ship it to you at the cost of shipping.

Mix it with spruce or even better fire sap(gum) and a bit of ashes and you get the pitch for birch bark canoe!!

Growing up in Rhode Island, in the '40's and '50's, my dad always kept a jar of bear grease in the 'fridge. He'd use it to rub into sore joints and to treat dry skin on elbows and hands. Even used it to treat burns, cuts and small wounds. But I'm pretty sure he was the one who told me how the old cowboys used horse manure on chapped lips. He said there were no healing qualities in the manure, but it kept the men from licking their lips. ;)

Red--very kind of you to offer to share it.

Red - I'd be more than happy to take advantage of your generous offer. Between the living history programs I work in and other historically oriented activities I do, it will definitely get used. Let me know how you'd like to proceed either via this thread or a PM; whichever works best for you.

Until next time...be well.

snapper

It's cooked and jarred so now I just need to find some boxes and find out what the shipping cost will be. Bear with me, pun intended.

Red, I'm going to take you up on that offer as well. I'm thinking of treating the sheath of next winters knife project with it. My zip is 52202 USA. PM me when you figure out how I can pay you. I have pay pal if that helps.

Thanks for posting this Red. I'd also be interested in some if still available. I'm in Toronto. Have paypal or can do an email interac payment if that works too.

Red, Thank you very much for your generosity in offering, I too will take you up on a jar of "Essence of Yogi" if it's still available. Let me know payment method etc. Thanks!

It makes a great parch lube if you shoot a roundball muzzeloader.

Back