• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Bannock Sacrilege

I have been told it is hard to find in Canada. I once sent some to a friend via Amazon to S.ST.Marie during covid lockdown.

Bob.

I've never even seen Nido up here in canada...
@scoutergriz, Ontario is huge province so I don't know how far you are from a Walmart or if you'd have to order Nido online but the link above is to Walmart in Canada. It shows as being considerably more expensive than it is here even if one allows for the exchange rate.

Here in North Carolina it seems to be marketed primarily at the Latin community. In fact, all grocery store chains stock Nido and it's stocked in both the baking section and the Mexican/Latin American food section. I suspect it has to do with the lower density of the Latin American population in Canada versus our part of the USA?

I haven't done the math lately but during the early part of Covid when grocery stores couldn't keep milk in stock due to hoarders and the fact that folks weren't eating 25% of there meal in restaurants, Nido was pretty price competitive with fresh milk. There is a Walmart about 10 miles from us that has it for $19.98 USD a 56.4 ounce can. Interestingly, if I order it online for in-store pickup two cans are $35.96 and three cans are $52.86.

I wonder what it would cost to ship you some. I just checked and there are no restrictions on my end to shipping canned goods to Canada although I don't know if there are any tariffs to pay at your end. If you want to find out what the cost wold be, send me a private message with your address.

Lance

Nido is a basic for my canoe and backpacking trips. Walmart was going to be my suggestion. None in stores near me - maybe because I'm in Canadian border. :) More likely because of very small Hispanic population.

I have been told it is hard to find in Canada. I once sent some to a friend via Amazon to S.ST.Marie during covid lockdown.

Bob.

I hadn't thought of Amazon but it sows a minimum charge of $6.99 USD to ship to Canada. This might be worth looking into for our Canadian brethren.

My go-to camp bread uses the Martha White pizza crust mix. Just add water. I like it because it comes in a plastic pouch that is the perfect size for my 10 inch cast aluminum pan. Covered with a tight lid and low heat for 15 minutes and then flip. When its blueberry season I sweeten with brown sugar and add the berries.

@scoutergriz, Ontario is huge province so I don't know how far you are from a Walmart or if you'd have to order Nido online but the link above is to Walmart in Canada. It shows as being considerably more expensive than it is here even if one allows for the exchange rate.

Here in North Carolina it seems to be marketed primarily at the Latin community. In fact, all grocery store chains stock Nido and it's stocked in both the baking section and the Mexican/Latin American food section. I suspect it has to do with the lower density of the Latin American population in Canada versus our part of the USA?

I haven't done the math lately but during the early part of Covid when grocery stores couldn't keep milk in stock due to hoarders and the fact that folks weren't eating 25% of there meal in restaurants, Nido was pretty price competitive with fresh milk. There is a Walmart about 10 miles from us that has it for $19.98 USD a 56.4 ounce can. Interestingly, if I order it online for in-store pickup two cans are $35.96 and three cans are $52.86.

I wonder what it would cost to ship you some. I just checked and there are no restrictions on my end to shipping canned goods to Canada although I don't know if there are any tariffs to pay at your end. If you want to find out what the cost wold be, send me a private message with your address.

Lance
I've checked several walmarts and ethnic food stores in my area, most have never even heard of it. One store owner that knew what it was said it wasn't legal for import to Canada because of our french labelling requirement.

Back