• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Baking in your camp stove.

Very cool, thanks for posting. I was looking at baking with that lager Coleman box oven on top of the stove, this grill is neat.
I checked the prices and the chef in Kevin's video was correct, it's not cheap. But like everything, I'm sure there is a buyer out there. Take care.

A simple way to "bake" that I've used over the years can be done one of two ways. The first, and easiest I think, is with a product called the "Bakepacker." I don't know if it's still available but essentially it's a circular grid that fits in a pot; the grid should be the same diameter as the pot so it takes up the entire bottom of the pot. Water is poured into the pot until it reaches the top of the grid. The batter of your future baked good is mixed in a plastic bag and then spread out in the bag over the surface of the grid. Roll the top of the bag down; don't seal it. Place the pot lid on top and put the pot on a stove. Once the water has boiled you can move the heat down and let it simmer for about 25-30 minutes. After that point, take it off the heat and let it cool. When everything has cooled down you will find the contents of the bag have "baked" to perfection. Essentially you're steaming the food and not baking it but I've done this with cake mixes, bread mixes, etc. and it comes out pretty well; although breads don't look "golden" brown when they come out of the bag. For cakes I've sprinkled on some confectionary sugar or made a drizzle icing by adding water tot he confectionary sugar and laying it on the cake. Like anything else, your imagination is the only thing limiting what you can do. What I like about this method is it's essentially a "boil & bag" means of baking. There are no dirty pots because all you're doing is boiling water; the bag ends up in your garbage and there's nothing else to do.

The other way I've baked in the pan is to use what is essentially a bundt pan. Mix up your ingredients and pour them into a greased or buttered bundt pan. Place a small aluminum can in the chimney of the pan, place a lid on it and put it on your stove. Heat will come from below and also travel up the chimney of the pan and reflect off the lid down onto what is baking. Again, I've used this set up for years and, although everything you back is circular and has a hole in it, the results have always been well received. Years ago there was a company that made these ovens called the BenDonn oven. From what I understand, they two guys who came up with this had the first names of Ben & Donn; go figure. Anyway, it works and it's a nice way to give a student a birthday cake when their on a required school trip and would rather be anywhere else in the world.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time..be well.

snapper

Bemco Backpackers Oven

P1070231.jpg

image007_low_zpsoooze0m3.jpg

image012_low_zpsgscfxvsn.jpg

I had seen that video and along with the ridiculous price tag I could see a number of problems with having your grill inside the stove, not least the lack of ability to independently control the heat of oven in relation to the stove. The Bemco folds takes apart and folds flat for transport.

For someone who just wants to fool around with the idea of a folding box oven before committing big dollars...the old standby Coleman is worthy !! of your troubles and your dollars. Around $30, WallyWorld frequently has them for a few dollars less. Amazing what you can cook, hold, bake if you put a little effort into it. On a group trip of at least two or so folks, it's well worth the hauling if you plan some menu items around using it.

Are they still making the Coleman?

I've used our Bemco with our wood stove and a single burner gas stove.

On the wood stove I take out the steel diffuser plate from below the lower baking rack to speed up the cooking.

I guess you could improvise something with a #10 can.

I do more skillet baking in the woods. Made yeast bread in a skillet on the fire every other day in the Quetico last summer. Recipe was similar to english muffins, and excellent with fried walleye.

I have a larger pot that fits over top of my frying pan to make a sort of oven. It works a bit better than just the fry pan for making bannock. I have not gotten any fancier than that so far. We do have an original Coleman oven but have not tried it out.

It might be cool to make pizza on a trip but really I am not there to cook ( says the woman who brings hot dogs..lol). Tripping time is fishing time and that means pickerel if at all lucky. Fresh bread might be a pretty awesome idea though.

I've used the Coleman oven on the woodstove but not really impressed. Once the oven is up to temp and you put your pan in the temp drops quite a bit and takes a long time to rebound making the cook time take longer than it should. I think the oven was designed to be used on a dual burner stove so it has a lot of heat diffusion built into the bottom slowing things down. I think the Bemco would work better because of the open bottom. taking out the heat diffuser would make it even better.

Reactions: Tom
Back